Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

20 posts, read 46,922 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated with my wife & kids from Miami and are looking to buy a home. Need advice on where to buy in Bergen County based on the following:

1. Great school system(kids are 3 & 13)
2. Low taxes(I know they are high but some areas of Bergen aren't that high)
3. Home needs to be under $300K(dont mind a fixer up er)
4. Prefer short commute to NYC
5. Great area to raise the kids
6. Would love a small town feel with small shops, parks & entertainment
7. BEst BANG for the BUCK

Bergen County us were we want to stay because my wife's family live here.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanking all of you in advance! :-)

Last edited by dreamspace01; 11-17-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
"Bergen County" and "low taxes" do not go in the same sentence. Neither does "under $300K", but you never know.

Do you know anything about Bergen County at all? Where in the county does your wife's family live?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspace01 View Post
I recently relocated with my wife & kids from Miami and are looking to buy a home. Need advice on where to buy in Bergen County based on the following:

2. Low taxes
3. Home needs to be under $300(dont mind a fixer up er)

Good one. Thanks for the Thursday night LOL.

Bergen County = One of the richest counties in the country.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Yes, I know it's one of the highest property taxes in the state. We have family in Leonia, Franklin Lakes, Ramsey, River Edge & Palisades Park.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Bergen County" and "low taxes" do not go in the same sentence. Neither does "under $300K", but you never know.

Do you know anything about Bergen County at all? Where in the county does your wife's family live?
Yes, I know it's one of the highest property taxes in the state. We have family in Leonia, Franklin Lakes, Ramsey, River Edge & Palisades Park.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspace01 View Post

2. Low taxes(I know they are high but some areas of Bergen aren't that high)
3. Home needs to be under $300K(dont mind a fixer up er)

This doesn't really exist. Closest thing to it is probably Ridgefield Park, second closest Bergenfield, but, still pretty far from what you're looking for. Budget (cost/taxes) being main problem.

edit: You might be able to find most of what you're looking for at or at least near your budget in Orange county NY but the commute will be a killer.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 AM

Any other areas??? I am looking into foreclosures. My max is $300K

Old 11-18-2011, 07:18 AM

777 posts, read 2,381,085 times
You have a tough combination of criteria. Towns with top schools usually also come along with high taxes and property values.

What do you consider high taxes?

You'll definitely have to go the fixer upper/foreclosure route. Are you going to have money left over after your purchase to do renovations?

You will have to make some concession on your criteria to buy a house in Bergen $300k or less.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
You have a tough combination of criteria. Towns with top schools usually also come along with high taxes and property values.

What do you consider high taxes?

You'll definitely have to go the fixer upper/foreclosure route. Are you going to have money left over after your purchase to do renovations?

You will have to make some concession on your criteria to buy a house in Bergen $300k or less.
Yes, I understand but there has to be a good school system that doesn't have crazy taxes. I think anything over $9K is to much taxes. Our plan is to make the home livable until we have extra $ to do more renovations. What areas would you recommend?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
You're not listening, OP. Under $300K (even a foreclosure) and good school system most likely doesn't exist in Bergen County except in someone's dream and you're now saying you only have money to make the house livable. Sorry, you will have to look outside of Bergen County, IMO.

The southern end of Bergen County might have something in the $300K range, but I don't think you'll be happy with the school system. Give up your short commute and look further west. Budd Lake has a decent school system, but a long commute. I know someone who recently bought a house in PA so she could find a house she could afford - she works on wall street and leaves home around 6 am, gets home after 7pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey