Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Very different. He was responding to a specific shareholder question about the impact of the new healthcare laws and how the company was planning on paying for it. He said he's been against the law since day one, but in case you haven't been paying attention just about every businessman in the food and service industry is against the law. Conversations like that are happening in boardrooms and shareholder meetings across the county.
Off Topic but related: Every businessman in the food and service industry is against the no-smoking law as well, even though if you look at sales after it has been implemented, sales typically increase. I go out to bars and restaurants more in NJ since the law was passed in NJ, for instance. Prior, when I lived in Hoboken, I would go into NYC so I didn't stink when I got home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
with a publicly traded company, we have access to this information in financial statements. we just don't have it in an easy place. Sounds like a great project for pro publica or some group like that. But Chick-Fil-A's donations as a private company may not be as easily traced. You'd have to know that they have a foundation, and then look at the foundation's tax filings and financial statement filings.

maybe a watchdog group will pop up and start compiling this list, but you're looking more for something that's created by the companies and they take the initiative, if they choose, to notify us of their activities and aggregate it all on some site/book?
The general idea was that the companies could submit the information voluntarily to a group charged with vetting the list and keeping the information updated. My thought was that companies would want to do this as a way to showcase their charitable contributions even more and since most of them tend to be engaged in less 'divisive' organizations, I imagine they would be willing to do it. A company who chose not to be listed, well that makes people wonder why they chose not to be listed. In the case of CFA, I imagine they wouldn't care what people thought. The problem is you need to go a step beyond that, because in CFA's case they contribute to their own non-profit WinGate who then contributes to these other organizations, so you sort of need to vet down to the next level, but vetting a non-profit is far easier.

A watch dog group could certainly do it by looking through financial statements and records, but unless it is a publicly held company, the statements that are available through tax filings are usually a few years old. It would also be a monumental task to compile that information given the vast number of companies out there. You could do it for the major ones to start and go from there, but it would still be very time consuming.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The general idea was that the companies could submit the information voluntarily to a group charged with vetting the list and keeping the information updated. My thought was that companies would want to do this as a way to showcase their charitable contributions even more and since most of them tend to be engaged in less 'divisive' organizations, I imagine they would be willing to do it. A company who chose not to be listed, well that makes people wonder why they chose not to be listed. In the case of CFA, I imagine they wouldn't care what people thought. The problem is you need to go a step beyond that, because in CFA's case they contribute to their own non-profit WinGate who then contributes to these other organizations, so you sort of need to vet down to the next level, but vetting a non-profit is far easier.

A watch dog group could certainly do it by looking through financial statements and records, but unless it is a publicly held company, the statements that are available through tax filings are usually a few years old. It would also be a monumental task to compile that information given the vast number of companies out there. You could do it for the major ones to start and go from there, but it would still be very time consuming.
This is sort of what is done with EPEAT. When Apple recently announced it was leaving, the backlash was too much, and they rejoined. But, who would pay for it? It's an interesting concept, but someone would have to start this, whether it be a group of companies who get together and form it, or some enterprising individuals that form a non-profit group.

Yes, it would be very time consuming. You'd have to start with the easiest ones, and hope companies started contacting you if they saw a benefit from being listed.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM

204 posts, read 635,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
When a male and a female came together 100 thousand years ago and the two created a child- that was marriage...Modern marriage that is formalized is just like getting a licence for the dog...for human's it was getting a licence to breed- It's about state control of the herd. I don't care if men want the approval of other men and woman to marry a man...cos' - If you can't generate an offspring it's not a real marriage- just another licence granted to human beings who allow the state to treat them like dogs...or cattle in general.

You hear this over and over again with same sex couples "raising children" - where do they get these children...certainly they are not making them themselves...That's a whole other area to be debated..The acquisition of children by same sex couples..There must be many sources - I wonder if they are all ethical?
agreed, i do think we are going down a slippery slope by allowing marriage but lbgt didn't just happened. does it matter if they are allow to marry or not? its just a label at the end of the day.

as for this whole thing, i wouldn't have any problem if the politician didn't start the bandwagon on banning chickfila. that's pretty much the only thing i have against the whole situation. it is up to anyone to do what they wish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey