Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times

Advertisements

Van Houten Ave Clifton
Van Houten Ave Wyckoff
Van Houten Ave Franklin Lakes
Van Houten St, Nyack NY
Van Houten St Paterson
Van Houten Farms in Pearl River
Van Houten Place Belleville
Van Houten Ave Jersey City

I am curious if anyone can share some historical info? I assume they must have been one of the first families in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Van Houten Ave Clifton
Van Houten Ave Wyckoff
Van Houten Ave Franklin Lakes
Van Houten St, Nyack NY
Van Houten St Paterson
Van Houten Farms in Pearl River
Van Houten Place Belleville
Van Houten Ave Jersey City

I am curious if anyone can share some historical info? I assume they must have been one of the first families in the area.
There is a Van Houten family cemetery in Franklin Lakes.

Van Houten Cemetery - Bergen County, New Jersey

It appears from a quick Google search that families of that name were in Bergen and Passaic Counties in the 1700's.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:27 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
'Cause the Dutch settled north Jersey. Midland Park/Wyckoff used to have a lot of Dutch names - Van ___.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
'Cause the Dutch settled north Jersey. Midland Park/Wyckoff used to have a lot of Dutch names - Van ___.
Still do, although there are fewer these days. (I'm fifth generation Midland Park Dutch.)

Other Dutch names end in -stra or -sma.

Still others came from The Netherlands but had gotten there from some other origin first. The name Zabriskie is all over Bergen County, and they came from Holland, but they were originally Polish.

Next fall, plant tulips!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,333 times
Default van houten

Gilliam Van Houten was KIA at the battle of Chancellorville in the Civil War . He was the Commander of the 21st NJ volunteers. His surviving soldiers formed a post of the GAR in Jersey City which became the largest of four in the City. The post has a burial plot in NY bay cemetery. His loss was evidently felt by many and accounts for the street in Jersey City. Other family members or influence might account for the rest of the streets

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,903 times
I really confuse when i saw so may street in same name its really getting head ache

Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haricot View Post
Gilliam Van Houten was KIA at the battle of Chancellorville in the Civil War . He was the Commander of the 21st NJ volunteers. His surviving soldiers formed a post of the GAR in Jersey City which became the largest of four in the City. The post has a burial plot in NY bay cemetery. His loss was evidently felt by many and accounts for the street in Jersey City. Other family members or influence might account for the rest of the streets
Yes, same group my great grandfather was in and the GAR as well

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
You have to remember...."even New York was once New Amsterdam".

Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You have to remember...."even New York was once New Amsterdam".
And it spread beyond what we now know as New York City, out to NJ and up the Hudson. Albany is having its Tulip Festival this week in honor of its Dutch heritage. Most of Bergen County and the lower counties of New York were settled by Dutch farmers. Paramus still has I don't know how many old Dutch sandstone houses scattered around, and that's not the only town where they exist. They were there long before the Revolution, and there even developed a dialect called Jersey Dutch.

Also interesting to remember is that the slave who eventually became the abolitionist called Sojourner Truth, born in Ulster County, NY, only spoke Dutch until she was sold at the age of 9 to an English-speaking family in Kingston.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,101 times
Default The Van Houtens were a prominent family there.

Hello,
The reason for all the Van Houten names on roads etc. is because of my ancestors, the Van Houten family that were one of the early Dutch families that settled in the area prior to the revolution. Roeloff Cornelissen Van Houten arrived and was part of an early Dutch settlement in the area called Rensselaerswyck.
Hope this helps!
-Ben T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey