Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 29,064 times

Advertisements

Hi I am getting a position which will have a approx. salary of around 100K, the work place will be in NY and I would like to stay either in NJ or Connecticut I have the following questions about this

- Is this salary good enough for living with 2 kids (7 & 2) both school going and a non working spouse
- What areas are recommended for living with kids (safe and good school districts)
- I have no credit history in US right now; how will that impact my immediate expenses like home rent.
- I would like to use transit to get my work so proximity to public transport will be crucial.
- Other than federal taxes & social security what is the approx deductions which need to be done like health. I have no inclination to invest in a 401.

Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 AM

220 posts, read 548,216 times
Wrong forum, but I grew up in the NJ area (and then in NY), and I think that you'll be okay. You should be able to afford a single-family house in a decent school district. Cost of living is high so you won't be rich, but assuming you're willing to put up with a commute you should certainly be able to afford a reasonable middle-class lifestyle. If your spouse is not working, I assume you won't have childcare costs as the spouse will watch the kids and can do stuff like cook dinner to keep expenses down.

If you have no credit in the US, you might want to see if your employer can cosign your lease for you.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
I've never heard of an employer co-signing a lease but said employer might be willing to sponser or serve as a reference. Most places are flexible with immigrants with no credit versus an American with poor credit.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
I just need to interject how sad it is that Americans are now having to ask if 100,000 is enough to support a family of 4. Anyway, continue...

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I just need to interject how sad it is that Americans are now having to ask if 100,000 is enough to support a family of 4. Anyway, continue...

based on his handle and his reference to his credit history, he probably is NOT American. Which makes it easier to understand asking the question, esp wrt to greater NY, probably the most expensive metro in the country.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
based on his handle and his reference to his credit history, he probably is NOT American. Which makes it easier to understand asking the question, esp wrt to greater NY, probably the most expensive metro in the country.
I'm not calling it out because it's a stupid question, my emphasis is on the $100,000 part. Like "wow, I can't believe things are so expensive we have to ask ourselves if 6 figures is enough to live on."

Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
I wouldn't read into it too much. The NJ/NYC area is one of the higher cost of living areas in the country. Even the difference in COL between NJ and Manhattan is huge.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
100k for four people might be tough. Since the OP is asking about both CT and NJ, this needs to be moved to the NYC section.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUS View Post
Hi I am getting a position which will have a approx. salary of around 100K, the work place will be in NY and I would like to stay either in NJ or Connecticut I have the following questions about this

- Is this salary good enough for living with 2 kids (7 & 2) both school going and a non working spouse
- What areas are recommended for living with kids (safe and good school districts)
- I have no credit history in US right now; how will that impact my immediate expenses like home rent.
- I would like to use transit to get my work so proximity to public transport will be crucial.
- Other than federal taxes & social security what is the approx deductions which need to be done like health. I have no inclination to invest in a 401.

Any help will be appreciated.
You'll be fine. I am biased because I am from Cranford, NJ, but I recommend Cranford as a place to live. Union County also has some other great towns and so do Essex and Bergen Counties, but Cranford is perfect for that income. The median income for a Cranford family is around $120,000 a year so you're in that range. It has great schools. Its high school is 13th in the state for public high schools and is known for its programs. It has a great baseball program, as well. Cranford is safe (of course you have your incidents, but a very low crime rate) and beautiful. It's 25 miles from Manhattan and can be accessed by train, car, bus, or ferry easily in under an hour.

Watch for flooding, though. Parts of the town floods bad, as a river runs right through it. But it's one of those towns people don't want to leave

Other wonderful towns include Clark, Maplewood, Scotch Plains, and the Caldwells. All in different areas, mostly similar wealth-wise, and close to the city.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:34 AM

3 posts, read 29,064 times
Thanks a bunch JerseyGirl415 and others who responded. I do apologise for posting it in the wrong forum though, I thought I did post it in the NJ forum, newbie mistake .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey