Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 05:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times

Advertisements

My insurance premium just went up nearly 50% after an accident where I wasn't at fault. Basically, I was in another state (PA) and my parked car got rear ended by another car pulling out of the parking lot. The other party decided to file a claim and now my insurance company is raising my premium nearly 50% more when I'm not even at fault!

Is there any recourse here to getting my premium down? Would it help switching insurance providers?

BTW, I'm using Travelers and they sux!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:24 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
If you are legally parked by state law that is one of the situations they can not increase your premium for. Its the law, so if I where you i would call them. Otherwise your best recourse is to shop around and bail ship if they don't satisfy you. There are many other companies out there and if you explain your car was parked they will not charge you extra for that,

Old 08-18-2012, 02:50 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Get a copy of the police report. It will surely state that your car was parked and then they have no recourse to fight you on it. I would still change companies since they are trying to increase you premiums when they clearly should not be doing so.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Thanks, I do have the police report so will call and if the premium doesn't get lowered, it's time to move on.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
If you are legally parked by state law that is one of the situations they can not increase your premium for.
If the other driver filed a claim, I'm betting both vehicles were moving at the time of contact. Rates wouldn't be raised if the vehicle was parked. The claim is usually not considered a chargeable claim if the insurance carrier doesn't pay out.

Changing companies isn't going to do much unless coverage is modified to a lower level. Higher deductibles can lower the rate but adds the possibility of a higher cost to the policy holder if a accident were to occur.

It would be unusual if your company didn't already have a copy of the incident. They usually request them directly from the agency filing the report. Contact your agent to determine why the rates were raised.
Try bundling your insurance policies under one carrier. They can give you a significant discount.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
I've been told by 2-3 ins companies that regardless of fault, if they have to pay out more than a certain amount they are going to raise your premiums. Back in the 90s StateFarm told me $500 when someone decided to change lanes right into the side of my car. Manufacturers told me $1000 when I was rear ended while stopped at a light. Geico told me that since NJ is no fault, each ins co pays to fix their own vehicle that is covered regardless of fault.

I dont know who is right but thought id pass along the little i know.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 AM

572 posts, read 2,022,278 times
You can not legally be surcharged for a not at fault accident or hit while parked. Most companies no longer surcharge for losses though. It is all built into a tier rating program vs. flat dollar surcharges. You can take not at fault incidnets and hit while parked into account in a tiering structure as long as your company paid out as it is still considered an incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I've been told by 2-3 ins companies that regardless of fault, if they have to pay out more than a certain amount they are going to raise your premiums. Back in the 90s StateFarm told me $500 when someone decided to change lanes right into the side of my car. Manufacturers told me $1000 when I was rear ended while stopped at a light. Geico told me that since NJ is no fault, each ins co pays to fix their own vehicle that is covered regardless of fault.

I dont know who is right but thought id pass along the little i know.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Thanks all.

My agent told me the rate went up 20+% because every insurance co. is charging more in premium. I don't know if that's true or not.

And it also went up another 17% because my husband failed to stop at a stop sign more than a year ago and it's just now on the insurance company's radar...

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Thanks all.

My agent told me the rate went up 20+% because every insurance co. is charging more in premium. I don't know if that's true or not.

And it also went up another 17% because my husband failed to stop at a stop sign more than a year ago and it's just now on the insurance company's radar...
that's definitely the case with mine (liberty mutual) and they gave me the same explanation - rates up across the board. homeowner's increased also.

you should each take AAA's defensive driving course (i think it's $30) - check first, but it should knock 10-15% off your premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey