Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times

Advertisements

Six Flags Wild Safari will stop allowing cars at end of season | NJ.com

Some of the fondest memories of my youth were from when we would go to Six Flags with our hillbilly neighbors in their beat up Ford Conversion Van and they'd throw Cheerios on the roof to get the monkeys riled up They stopped doing it when they finally ripped off the CB antenna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 AM

334 posts, read 731,639 times
I just heard this on the radio. I remember great times too. I think it has less to do with the animals behavior and more to do with people not following the rules and doing things like opening windows and feeding the animals.

A few probably ruined it for all. Too bad.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

Six Flags Wild Safari will stop allowing cars at end of season | NJ.com

Some of the fondest memories of my youth were from when we would go to Six Flags with our hillbilly neighbors in their beat up Ford Conversion Van and they'd throw Cheerios on the roof to get the monkeys riled up They stopped doing it when they finally ripped off the CB antenna

Funny i remember a giraffe eating the insulation on the window of what was then a pretty new family pontiac station wagon (guees all things come to an end). What I do always remember was the rear drivers side door had the bite marks for the rest of the cars life and basically everytime I got in the car I thought about the Great Adventure Safari.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
and they'd throw Cheerios on the roof to get the monkeys riled up
Things like this are probably the reason why they're banning cars. Hopefully there will be buses that still go through or something.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Things like this are probably the reason why they're banning cars. Hopefully there will be buses that still go through or something.
Exactly.
The official press release merely stated that cars will no longer be allowed to drive through the park, and it also stated that the wildlife park will remain open. If anyone thinks that this corporation will maintain a wildlife park sans visitors, then that person is naive indeed.

The most likely course of action will be to have a small fleet of vans or buses that will take visitors through the park. That allows more control of the actions of the park visitors, as well as providing a potential for even greater income. I can virtually guarantee that the fee will increase as a result of van/bus transport of park visitors.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
A spokeswoman for the park said it was time for a revamp of the wildlife park and the plan would be released this or next Thursday.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM

9 posts, read 33,267 times
Just sent an email to great adventure customer relations. Will keep you all posted on any feedback I get.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
We had a flip down gate on my friend's uncle's station wagon. So we brought one of those big bags of popcorn in a plastic bag, flipped down the gate and threw the popcorn out the back. The monkeys were sitting right on the gate munching away. One got too aggressive and chased a buddy into the middle row of seats and he pitched the entire bag of popcorn out the back. Good times at G.A.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Exactly.
The official press release merely stated that cars will no longer be allowed to drive through the park, and it also stated that the wildlife park will remain open. If anyone thinks that this corporation will maintain a wildlife park sans visitors, then that person is naive indeed.

The most likely course of action will be to have a small fleet of vans or buses that will take visitors through the park. That allows more control of the actions of the park visitors, as well as providing a potential for even greater income. I can virtually guarantee that the fee will increase as a result of van/bus transport of park visitors.
They already do that. You can sign up in the park and for $10 (same cost as going through the safari) get a personal guide in an air-conditioned mini-bus ride through it.

I have to sadly admit we were one of the cars who brought bananas to the baboons. Now that I'm a vet I obviously know better, this was when I was young with apparently very bad influences for parents.

I remember seeing (and have pictures of it somewhere) people feeding giraffes through their sunroof. The giraffes would stick their entire head into the car. The zebra trucks would come and yell at them but they would do it again as soon as they left.

I was planning on going on Thurs am for a few launches in the morning but now I think I'll have to take one last ride through. I haven't gone to the safari in years.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Yes I remember an ostrich sneezed on when I rolled down the window. So they gonna make everybody ride on a tour bus then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey