Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,853 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating from Australia to New Jersey. I would ideally like to be close to NYC. I am trying to find a place to rent but I have no idea how it works and where to search. Are there brokers or people who could help me find something before I got there and which areas would be reasonable?
Also I heard I have to have a credit rating. Is it possible to find a rental without that? I also do not want to share so I'd prefer to rent on my own.
Any tips would be fabulous thank you in advance!
p.s I am moving in one month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Well, from a landlord perspective you would be hesitant to rent out to someone without a credit history, so I would suggest contacting a Realtor to help you out with that one and point you in the right direction. Do you have any idea of where in NJ you want to live, and how much a month you can spend?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Well, from a landlord perspective you would be hesitant to rent out to someone without a credit history, so I would suggest contacting a Realtor to help you out with that one and point you in the right direction. Do you have any idea of where in NJ you want to live, and how much a month you can spend?

This advice is right on target, and I have to agree that the first thing to determine is one's budget for rental expenses. The "I want to be close to NYC" criterion is frequently discarded when prospective renters find out just how high apartment rents can be when those apts are located very close to NYC.

We really need to know how much per month the OP is able to spend for housing, as well as what he/she considers to be an acceptable commuting time from home to NYC.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I was looking at Hackensack or around that area. I was also looking at spending no more than $1300 per month. I don't mind travelling but within reason, say 45 mins or so...

Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Stay in Bergen County.... Look at towns like Hackensack, Fort Lee, Edgewater, etc. for rental options.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanzie oz View Post
I was looking at Hackensack or around that area. I was also looking at spending no more than $1300 per month. I don't mind travelling but within reason, say 45 mins or so...
Hackensack to NYC is already more than a 45 minute commute (more like an hour to an hour and a half to Midtown, on average). The number of places in NJ with under an hour commute to NYC is pretty small (and many, though not all, at the edge of your budget or beyond it). Are you planning to have roommates?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Hackensack to NYC is already more than a 45 minute commute (more like an hour to an hour and a half to Midtown, on average). The number of places in NJ with under an hour commute to NYC is pretty small (and many, though not all, at the edge of your budget or beyond it). Are you planning to have roommates?
so i'm guessing when they say 'only a 20 minute bus ride to NYC' they're not really telling the truth.

Would anybody have any leads to a real estate agent willing to assist? People that I am emailing just don't respond or don't want to help

Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Quote:
so i'm guessing when they say 'only a 20 minute bus ride to NYC' they're not really telling the truth.

Would anybody have any leads to a real estate agent willing to assist? People that I am emailing just don't respond or don't want to help
Might be better to make a few phone calls to Real Estate Agents in the Hackensack area. They will know the area best.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:

Well, often it's traffic that makes the commute longer. Maybe it SHOULD take 20 minutes, but almost never does. Unless you're working in NYC, honestly, you don't need to be all that close to it. For working in NYC I recommend Hudson County. PATH access, and the Holland tunnel. Also ferries. It's probably the most direct way as Hudson County is right across the river from Manhattan.

Bergen County is up there (as in north) - only the very southern portion has good NYC access and closeness via the GW - and does have ferries and bridges and whatnot but the GW Bridge, for example, brings you to Washington Heights, northern Manhattan. Driving, you'd have to drive pretty far in traffic to get from the bridge to Midtown or Downtown. Again, mass transit wise, Hudson County is your best bet. Jersey City has some nicer areas you could check out.

Maybe you could email or call area realtors and ask them their opinions based on your situation? I'd recommend calling as long as you can get the time difference down right, because they're more likely to get back to you. They're probably swamped with emails. Or you could see if you can get on their mailing list and they will email you listings. You could give them more info than you'd be willing to put on the internet and they could probably give you good advice. Counties in NJ I'd recommend are Hudson, Essex, Bergen, and Union. All have a pretty high percentage of NYC commuters and have safe and affordable towns/cities. Look into realtors for those counties, see if you can find a phone number online and explain your situation.

Coldwell Banker and Weichert are popular real estate offices in NJ, try searching through there.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 PM

36 posts, read 74,952 times
Default Central Jersey

I live in New Brunswick, NJ. It takes me about an hour to reach NYC.
However try not to live in New Brunswick downtown, I live in Tov Manor its a safer place, only $1100 rent ( water, heat, gas included!)
Highland Park is another great area, will take you 1 hour as well.
If you don't mind living in a certain ethnic majority area then edison, woodbridge might work for you.

Metuchen, Clark is sort of upper middle class area which will take an hour as well.

If you are with family I would suggest living in any of the above areas as you will get a better community for your budget. If you are single then you can rent a studio or live with roommates in hoboken or exchange place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey