Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times

Advertisements

We won't be able to physically hand out candy this year. However, we are new to the neighborhood and don't want to be rude. Can we just leave candy out in a bowl? We live in an uber tight neighborhood; we know that everybody knows each other. Our immediate neighbor said they only got 12 trick or treaters last year.

What do u think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Sure, what's the downside? Worst case is that you leave 30 pieces of candy and the first kid takes it all... that's on them.

We've done it for parts of the evening ehen we had to leave for a while and never had a problem (and we get well over 100 kids)

Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM

291 posts, read 977,266 times
We did this last year--left a big bowl of candy and when we got back several hours later, about half of it was still there. As someone else said, there's no real downside--at worst, you won't have candy around the house to test your willpower (but maybe that's just me!)

Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
I would suggest that you not do this, primarily because of its possible effects regarding animals.

First and foremost, chocolate is toxic to dogs. How would you feel if a dog belonging to a neighbor--or even a stray dog--ate some of your chocolate and then died?

Then, we have other animals that would likely be attracted to food that is left outside.
Do you really want to attract field mice, skunks, raccoons, and other pesty wildlife to your front door?

What about ants?
This sugary bounty would be very likely to attract ants to your front door also.

Trust me...the neighborhood children will survive quite nicely with one less home giving them sweets.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I would suggest that you not do this, primarily because of its possible effects regarding animals.

First and foremost, chocolate is toxic to dogs. How would you feel if a dog belonging to a neighbor--or even a stray dog--ate some of your chocolate and then died?

Then, we have other animals that would likely be attracted to food that is left outside.
Do you really want to attract field mice, skunks, raccoons, and other pesty wildlife to your front door?

What about ants?
This sugary bounty would be very likely to attract ants to your front door also.

Trust me...the neighborhood children will survive quite nicely with one less home giving them sweets.
Hmm I don't think a couple of hours would rain down this mayhem....I was thinking along these lines myself this year as I have an old bulldog and the constant ringing of the bell will make her nuts!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
If you leave the candy outside there is a good chance it will be all gone within an hour ... Kids aren't the most considerate or honest individuals. They're kids after all and it is candy ... "Take one please" to a kid means take 10. lol !!

If you're not going to be home, I'd probably just skip the idea ... There's always next year.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
If you leave the candy outside there is a good chance it will be all gone within an hour ... Kids aren't the most considerate or honest individuals. They're kids after all and it is candy ... "Take one please" to a kid means take 10. lol !!

If you're not going to be home, I'd probably just skip the idea ... There's always next year.
True but in my neighborhood most kids are trick or treating with their parents right there I would hope the parents would not let this happen, that said if it's a matter of not being home I'd just skip it and not worry about it

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM

I see you're from North Jersey like me.

I live near Tenafly. We get about 75-125 kids every year. I definitely go through about 4 bags of candy a year ...

I LOVE Halloween, the kids are adorable. I have to say, through my observation, the parents come around and stand at the curb chatting with the other parents while the kids run up the driveway, to the door and get the candy ... the parents really don't see .... I'm not saying all kids do this ... the little ones probably don't. It's the bigger kids that are more guilty ... It's only candy, it's not a big deal. But it stinks to run out and have to stop answering the door to others because the bigger kids took it all ...

On another note, I got cute candy this year !! Sponge Bob Square Pants chocolates, Sponge Bob Square Pants gummy burgers, whoopers, and Reeses ... I can't wait ! I'm like a big kid !

Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I was thinking along these lines myself this year as I have an old bulldog and the constant ringing of the bell will make her nuts!
Why not just disconnect one of the wires leading to your door chime?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 AM

HAA !!

I would imagine the constant ringing the bell would make the dog bark non-stop ... that would drive ME nuts. You don't have a screen door you can just leave open while you're home so they knock? And, cover up the door bell (for the day) with black tape ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: