Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Even with the hype, I can't help being amazed and grateful that in our times, we can get such a detailed timeline of when to expect the worse, and so much time to prepare accordingly.
I agree with this. An absolute testament to the single characteristic of Man that make us so unique: Reason. It's too bad we compartmentalize its use, allowing mysticism and emotionalism so much influence in other important areas of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I suggest preparing but keep an eye on NOAA. Remember we are nearing elections and this could all be a big economic hoax, I mean prepare, because the projections are putting Sandy entering the area (I am not sure yet if Sandy will obliterate before or if something pulls it to the east, it's not like it's really close to be sure it will hit the area) but don't get neurotic and frantic. My advice.
I'm outside NJ but from what my friends and family in NJ say, where they're living at least, its a disaster. So much for the hoax.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I live in a suburb just north of Philadelphia (ground zero according to the weather map) in a valley between two high hills and the storm bypassed me completely. A little rain, some wind gusts for a few hours on Monday night maybe 30 mph and then it was over. Never lost power. Comcast went out for awhile but that is normal when it rains.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
its the worst storm in the region's history and the financial cost can easily overcome Katrina, people who live in the nyc region will agree

Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I live in a suburb just north of Philadelphia (ground zero according to the weather map) in a valley between two high hills and the storm bypassed me completely. A little rain, some wind gusts for a few hours on Monday night maybe 30 mph and then it was over. Never lost power. Comcast went out for awhile but that is normal when it rains.
Sandy was different from a typical storm in that the most winds/rain/damaging components were not around the "eye", they were north of it.

So your experience isn't too surprising.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
My husband and I have residences in FL and NJ. I'm in FL full time and my husband spends half his time in FL and the other half in NJ. We went through the 2004 Hurricanes here in central Florida, and my husband is up north right now. He is volunteers as an EMT/Search and Rescue/first responder in NJ when he's there.

He says that the damage there is as bad as what we went through here with the triple whammy of Charlie/Frances/Jeanne here in 2004. (We were fortunate that we personally had no damage from any of those three, although others in our neighborhood and many other friends weren't as lucky.)

I have no doubt that the financial losses will be higher than Katrina's, but am grateful that the loss of life was minimal in the big picture.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
That is not the case here in NJ.

The only way I can describe it is it looks like a bomb hit.

No power for days and 200 car long gas lines with no gas on top of that. It will take months to clean up

Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
theres a big difference when something like this happens somewhere else, and when it happens in this highly dense and hugely populated region, the whole infrastructure has been compromised from tunnels to cell towers, many nj transit train tracks got washed off and mta said some subway stations are beyond repair so they mite not be able to restore the subway all the way
since nyc is the financial center of the world, all this is gon add a huge financial cost times over to the actual physical damages, which are bad enuff
if not for the hysteria, the death toll would be 1000 times worse so it was more helpful than not

Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM

206 posts, read 532,659 times
Think about the fact that 4-5 days before the storm hit NJ/NYC it was in the Caribbean, over 1500 miles away. The weather forecasters basically predicted the exact path the storm would follow, which included several twists and turns, as well as its intensity. It's incredible, it saved a tremendous amount of lives, and yet occasionally if a similar situation doesn't turn out exactly as forecasted nimrods like the OP will wail about conspiracy theories. That type of thinking did cause some people who stayed in evacuation areas to lose their lives unfortunately.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 AM

206 posts, read 532,659 times
After re-reading i was a bit harsh on the OP, but i remain very thankful for the amazing job that folks like the national hurricane center are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey