Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 12:10 AM

34 posts, read 132,427 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advice on how bad or good is the drive from Iselin Nj to Whippany Nj in rush hour ? It says 27 miles on Google maps in 34 mins? If I need to be in Whippany by 9AM, then what time should one leave from Iselin?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:38 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Well evil demon racist censor Google maps does quote it generically about 29 miles in 37 minutes but for instance going up the GSP towards the Union tollbooth always backs up and goes quite slow in the morning. That seems the most direct except for the traffic. I would consider trying to snake your way over to 78 some other back road way most of the time. I-78 into NJ 24 also may have some choke points but I think getting through Union might be the biggie.

All in all it's not a bad commute but I would experiment with alternate routes until I found a happy medium and first day I would leave early and give it some extra time like 1hr 15 mins, then you might chop that down as you get a sense. I would think it might be done in 45 minutes or so most days except for days when things are abnormally backed up. An accident here or there closing a lane can slow things down quite a bit.

You can also go all the way around I-287 which adds more mileage or go a shorter route through the middle which involves many traffic light intersections, both adding time. I-287 for instance quotes about 43 miles 53 minutes but if you where to know the GSP or 78 & 24 where particularly jscked up some morning you could take the alternate.
Going through Plainfield to 78 and 24 quotes 31 miles 49 minutes for example.

Also I would consider not going all the way into the I-287 merge at the Whippany end but jumping off 24 and going up Whippany Rd. That 287 merge often backs up adding more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: