Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
more people with higher incomes leaving in higher numbers is just a reflection of the fact that people with higher incomes can move on, people with lower incomes are trapped by their circumstances, it ain't fair but what is?
Well, that could be one reason for it. Seeing how the economists who wrote the study haven'e been able to pin down the exact rationale, I'm not going to attempt to. I will say though, that regardless of "why" it's happening, I can't see it being a good thing when people with high incomes are being replaced by people with lower incomes. That reduces the state income tax base, reduces the amount of $$ they have to spend on consumer goods (less sales tax collected), and reduces the amount of house they can afford (hence homes with lower property taxes, or the need to raise property taxes to compensate). Wouldn't you think this would be something the politicians in NJ should be wanting to understand and correct, rather than speeding around the state and getting into wrecks at 90 mph, lying on their military service records, or playing with their boyfriends at the GSP rest stops???

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
is that so? How did you get to that conclusion/.
even if NJ is not getting proceeds from income taxes from these people who are moving to NJ yet are working in NY aren't they paying all the other myriads of taxes NJ offers like property, sales, fuel, property transfer, utility and on and on and on.
Sure they are- but all of that added together is likely less than just the income tax they would pay if they worked in NJ. As I said, a lot of their disposable income goes to NYC, so the sales tax does also. If they're living in JC, they're likely commuting by train or ferry, so there's not the tax on fuel for commuting by car. I didn't say they weren't contributing at all- just not as much as they could if they worked in NJ.

Bob

Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Sure they are- but all of that added together is likely less than just the income tax they would pay if they worked in NJ. As I said, a lot of their disposable income goes to NYC, so the sales tax does also. If they're living in JC, they're likely commuting by train or ferry, so there's not the tax on fuel for commuting by car. I didn't say they weren't contributing at all- just not as much as they could if they worked in NJ.

Bob
Not so sure about that..NJ does not tax clothes & shoes like NY
Also Jersey City is in the 3% tax zone versus 7% and lord only knows the tax rate in NYC

The 3% tax zone one of the reasons Ikea in Elizabeth is jammed on weekends with a shuttle from NYC to the store

Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, that could be one reason for it. Seeing how the economists who wrote the study haven'e been able to pin down the exact rationale, I'm not going to attempt to. I will say though, that regardless of "why" it's happening, I can't see it being a good thing when people with high incomes are being replaced by people with lower incomes. That reduces the state income tax base, reduces the amount of $$ they have to spend on consumer goods (less sales tax collected), and reduces the amount of house they can afford (hence homes with lower property taxes, or the need to raise property taxes to compensate). Wouldn't you think this would be something the politicians in NJ should be wanting to understand and correct, rather than speeding around the state and getting into wrecks at 90 mph, lying on their military service records, or playing with their boyfriends at the GSP rest stops???

Bob
the only thing the politicians in NJ are concerned with is how much and how fast they can take money from anyone who comes anywhere near NJ, their view doesn't extend past your pockets and bank accounts

Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Also Jersey City is in the 3% tax zone versus 7% and lord only knows the tax rate in NYC
OK, so they buy their clothes and shoes in NJ- there's still no tax revenue coming in from the sales, right? And sure, JC has 3% tax, but can you but a car in JC? Major appliances? Anything else of real consequence? I still say there's a big disparity in how much tax revenue comes in from these folks and what would come in if that salary was made in NJ.

Bob

Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
gee bob, do people only buy clothes? is jersey city such a large part of NJ and are there stores there that the majority of people who do not live in JC are flocking to to take advantage of the lower sales taxes? while I have no supporting data, I don't think that is the case. And you've ignored all the other taxes taken from NJ residents by the state, counties, municipalities, school boards, and even fire districts

Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,600 times
Default I left

I left NJ for Cumming Georgia...I miss the food and family, but not much else.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcbunny View Post
I left NJ for Cumming Georgia...I miss the food and family, but not much else.
I didn't realize you were so close- we just moved to Holly Springs this summer.

Don't you miss the wonderful debates about property taxes, crooked politicians, and decaying cities??? lol

Bob

Old 10-10-2007, 04:13 PM

12 posts, read 47,032 times
It seems like everyone in NJ is coming down here to North Carolina...

Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The big joke is everyone I know who smokes haven't bought cigarettes in NJ in years. Other friends have quit, so when all the people stop smoking, whose going to pay their bills? They'll probably put a luxury tax on toilet paper.
For those who remember 1990. Florio tried that back then and that's when 101.5 became what it is today.

Try it again and watch a new revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey