Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times

Advertisements

WO got power around 7pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 PM

291 posts, read 976,974 times
Wyckoff is gradually getting back on the grid, with Boulder Run, Town Hall and more residential neighborhoods coming back in the past 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Practically speaking, when you have a storm like this, it's pretty unreasonable to expect any better than what the utilities are accomplishing. Simply put, when you have to pretty much repair the system over 2/3rd of the state....it's going to take a while.

And yes, while it would be wonderful if the utility company could provide people with a real timeframe, the reality is they can't. There's far too many variables involved, as anyone who really sits down and thinks about difficulty and complexity of repairing utilities after storms would realize.
You seem to have missed my point, since you responded to something I didn't actually say. I did not say that anyone should expect to have their power restored 24 hours after the storm, or within any exact time period. My issue is with the lack of even basic communication with Township officials in my town for nearly a week after the storm, let alone with customers. And in our case, we have Orange and Rockland, who has freely admitted (including in an interview on 880AM today) that they have prioritized their NY customers. O&R has a person frequently posting albums of pics on Facebook of all the work they are doing, but can hardly be bothered to answer basic questions that customers are asking (also on FB) about things like ice distribution. I understand that it's a big task, but they still need to have a plan, and if they can have someone on FB for "spin", they could certainly spare someone to help answer the questions of customers with no heat, light or water.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM

284 posts, read 616,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I didn't say there wouldn't be lines, but certainly the more stations that are open in an area, the shorter the lines will be. If there is one station open in town the lines will stretch for a miles. If there are eight stations open, there might be a couple dozen cars in line at each.
the fact was that you didn't know how long the lines were and how many stations were open..
in our town, we had to wait about 1 1/2 hour and husband decided not to wait in West Milford even he has some empty gas cans with him.
In some areas of Bergen County, say Ridgefield, even the power were on last week, but not all gas stations were open, and the lines were long...

Again, don't make assumption.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
the fact was that you didn't know how long the lines were and how many stations were open..
in our town, we had to wait about 1 1/2 hour and husband decided not to wait in West Milford even he has some empty gas cans with him.
In some areas of Bergen County, say Ridgefield, even the power were on last week, but not all gas stations were open, and the lines were long...

Again, don't make assumption.
Did you not read what I said? It's basic math. The more stations that are open, the shorter the lines will be. Why is that such a difficult concept for some to grasp?

If there are two stations open and 100 cars need gas, there will be long lines. If there are 10 stations open and 100 cars need gas, the lines will be manageable.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM

802 posts, read 1,681,853 times
Who does NOT have power as of this point? I still don't and probably will not have power for at least a couple more days

Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Who does NOT have power as of this point? I still don't and probably will not have power for at least a couple more days
I think about 60-70% of my town is still without power.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Where are you located?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I think about 60-70% of my town is still without power.
Which town are you in? There's been a lot of power restored today, and a lot of people are reporting getting it back several days before they were scheduled. Maybe you'll be lucky?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Which town are you in? There's been a lot of power restored today, and a lot of people are reporting getting it back several days before they were scheduled. Maybe you'll be lucky?
Feel free to look up my past posts if you're so interested. I have power.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM

284 posts, read 616,843 times
Quote:
Did you not read what I said? It's basic math. The more stations that are open, the shorter the lines will be. Why is that such a difficult concept for some to grasp?

If there are two stations open and 100 cars need gas, there will be long lines. If there are 10 stations open and 100 cars need gas, the lines will be manageable.
Why do you have to be always right?
How did you know there were more stations open ?
I was in Ridgefield the last week, the area I was in had many stations, but they weren't opened even there was power...The problem of suggesting people to go into an area just assuming there were more stations open are not good advice. Had you tried to drive around in Northern NJ in the last week in areas that has power but with many stations not opened?
I am in NJ (not sitting out of state and making assumption)... I can tell you that if I were to spend an hour driving to a station, I would try PA instead of West Milford on Saturday, again, it was based on what my husband observed and the fact that he decided to come home instead of waiting in line in West Milford. I knew how long the line we had in our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey