Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:06 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what people would do differently if another storm (hurricane, snow, etc.) came our way?

We are getting a generator installed that hooks up to the gas line and powers the whole house. It comes on automatically. Will run $$$$$ but I can't do this again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We are getting a generator installed that hooks up to the gas line and powers the whole house. It comes on automatically. Will run $$$$$ but I can't do this again.
I am seriously considering the same thing, despite the cost.
But...first things first. The roof needs to be repaired, a tree needs to be removed, and a couple of sections of fence need to be replaced.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
I watch hurricane warnings all the time because a state close to my heart, Louisiana has them all the time.
So I do heed warnings as they are pretty accurate with hurricane warnings. Told my husband and son this was going to be a doozie, son didn't think he would need a generator but finally heeded my nagging and picked one up.

I live in Morris county so even though there is a lot of devasation here, it is nothing compared to the shore.

Last Sunday made sure all the laundry was done, dishwasher run, filled my car w/gas. Husband had the generator ready to go with plenty of gas, was even able to give my neighbor heat, dvd's for the little one and his fridge.

Not sure if I would invest the $$$$ for one that powers the entire house but I do not have any little ones at home and I think that is a huge difference in how many creature comforts you want/need. Now if I ever relocate to the gulf coast that may be when I invest that $$$.

A long time ago I lived in Seaside and Ortley beach, I've seen Nor'easters where the ocean is meeting the bay, had I still lived down there I would have evacuated, I do realize many have no where to evacuate too.

As far as epic weather the north east is more than likely safer than other areas of the country but it has been said we were long over due for a doozie of a hurricane. I think many thought it would either blow out to sea, but in reality it was trapped and had to make thet left hook, or loose steam.

So no I don't think in my situation I would have done anything different in this instance.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Two choices, really.
1) Natural gas generator, or diesel or gasoline generator with at least two weeks of fuel. At least 20 gallons of gasoline for the SUV. Small gas powered chain saw.

2) Shut off the water and gas, maybe the electric. Empty the fridge. Take both cars and get out of town, expecting two weeks before return.

For those on barrier islands, planning for longer would be wise... but on the other hand, some barrier island towns got power back long before my town.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I'm wondering what people would do differently if another storm (hurricane, snow, etc.) came our way?

Based on what NJ residents had to go through, I'm going to do the same. We lucked out in this one...but no sense pushing that luck.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
The only problem with a natural gas problem whole house generator is if they cut the gas system off, you lose power. If you go that route I'd also have a small back up gasoline generator. You can get one for $200 that will run the fridge, a couple of lights, and a space heater.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
You can get one for $200
And they are worth half that cost. they are crap and won't stand up to a long continuous run.

Quote:
at least two weeks of fuel.
The fuel use rating for generators are totally inaccurate. they give long times based on a quarter load. Most will run at closer between a half and three quarters except for surges. Unless they are turned off for periods of the day, a two week fuel supply will be about two hundred gallons. Most likely that amount would be illegal and probably a violation of fire and insurance codes. If the house is heated with oil, diesel would be a good choice. NG is a good choice as the supply is rarely ever cut off. Unless at home bulk propane fills are easily available, they is good but probably not going to be available in many NJ areas.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
And they are worth half that cost. they are crap and won't stand up to a long continuous run.
I didn't say they would. But you can run them a few times a day to keep the fridge off and take the chill off the house.

Quote:
The fuel use rating for generators are totally inaccurate. they give long times based on a quarter load. Most will run at closer between a half and three quarters except for surges. Unless they are turned off for periods of the day, a two week fuel supply will be about two hundred gallons. Most likely that amount would be illegal and probably a violation of fire and insurance codes. If the house is heated with oil, diesel would be a good choice. NG is a good choice as the supply is rarely ever cut off. Unless at home bulk propane fills are easily available, they is good but probably not going to be available in many NJ areas.
There's no need to run a generator constantly with a full load. Your kids won't die if they can't watch DVD's and you don't need power during daylight hours. Run it for an hour in the morning to cool the refrigerator/freezer, heat water, and take the chill off the house. Then turn it off until the sun is setting, run it for a few hours in the evening, then turn it off overnight. Bundle up and put an extra blanket on the bed.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Well, if the stuff looks like its going to hit the fan again I wouldn't concern myself too much with code restrictions. I'd actually worry a lot more about the emptied drums than the amount of fuel, especially if gasoline. Diesel would be safer but I don't know if there are diesel generators small enough to be practice. Anyway in my case NG is be the way to go. Someone with a larger property (with outbuildings where fuel could be stored) might prefer or need gas or diesel.

I wonder if it's practical to do a generator and battery system to run intermittently but near full load, for greater efficiency. Probably costs too much.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:29 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,091 times
and gasoline last only about 90days be for it starts to go bad,dont know about disel??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey