Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
That small local burger place next to the gas station, and across McDonald's?

I passed thru it several times on the way to Costco, so one day I decided to go in and eat there. Crowded like a zoo, so I expected the food to be good. It must be a joke... Mini home-made burgers with only grilled onions on top. Nothing special lol.... I don't understand why people would eat there more than once.

They would taste better if they put tomatoes, lettuce, and dressing as well
Try being more wrong, I dare you.

"Crowded like a zoo" you say... Hmmm, wonder why???

Taste is subjective as always though, and not everything is for everyone. But there is no denying White Manna is a Bergen County institution, a classic in one its purest forms.

And man, tomatoes, lettuce and dressing have NO place on proper a slider. And if you got them without cheese, you couldn't have done it more wrong if you tried! Give it one more shot, if it's still no dice, then fair game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Try being more wrong, I dare you.

"Crowded like a zoo" you say... Hmmm, wonder why???

Taste is subjective as always though, and not everything is for everyone. But there is no denying White Manna is a Bergen County institution, a classic in one its purest forms.

And man, tomatoes, lettuce and dressing have NO place on proper a slider. And if you got them without cheese, you couldn't have done it more wrong if you tried! Give it one more shot, if it's still no dice, then fair game.
I don't think something called "dressing" has a place on ANY burger of any size!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think something called "dressing" has a place on ANY burger of any size!
Fact. Unless it's just a misused term for awesome sauces. But in that case, the term "awesome sauces" should have been used, rather than dressing. Dressing is for salads. Salads are not burgers. If they were I would eat them more.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Fact. Unless it's just a misused term for awesome sauces. But in that case, the term "awesome sauces" should have been used, rather than dressing. Dressing is for salads. Salads are not burgers. If they were I would eat them more.
Hahaha, me too. I don't like "sauces" on burgers, either, though. Just ketchup.

Was down south once and disgusted to find that someone had slopped MAYONNAISE on my burger. Mayonnaise does NOT belong on a burger. Ever. It's wrong and should be punishable by imprisonment. I asked the waitress for a new burger because I didn't want mayonnaise on mine, and she told me I should have told her that when I ordered, as if mayo on a burger was the default. It would never have occurred to me to ask because it never occurred to me that somebody would do such a thing in the first place. Apparently, down there they think it's normal. Yuck.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Hahaha, me too. I don't like "sauces" on burgers, either, though. Just ketchup.
Ah, the beauty of burgers... so subjective to individual tastes! See I on the other hand welcome sauces (as long as they compliment the burger, rather than over power it) and think ketchup should be banned in all 50 states. If it touches my burger, fries, hot dog, cake, beer, ect, there will be a body count. But I accept that others think it doesn't taste like red sugar paste. I also enjoy a bit of mayo on a burger time to time

I think, perhaps there needs to be the accepted commonplace rules for the different styles of burger as well.

Slider

This must be cooked on a griddle top. Techniques beyond here can vary (a spot in Michigan covers them with a cloth to lock in steam, brilliance) but in general, the burger should be small in size, cooked onions on top, flipped with onions now on the griddle, American cheese applied and the buns stacked on top. Pickles and ketchup () may be applied by the burger fiend at their leisure. Bun should be standard white or potato.

Note: Mini burgers are NOT sliders. They are mini burgers.

Fast-food Style

A smaller patty, but larger than slider style. Can be griddle cooked or grilled. Bun should be standard white, with optional sesame seeds. Adornments by standard are lettuce, tomato and onions with pickles being common as well. In many cases, a "special sauce" by the purveyor is essential to these burgers (In N Out, Blue 9, ect). Additional condiments are welcome.

Pub Style

A large patty, ideally cooked medium-rare unless you hate juicy flavor and the happy meat face that results. Griddle or fried preparation so the burger develops a good char on both sides. Should be served on a sturdy bun, preferably kaiser or brioche and maintain a stable burger-to-bun ratio. Adornments of shredded lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles are fine but often discarded. Cheddar and bacon are optimal toppings and no condiments should be necessary.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Ah, the beauty of burgers... so subjective to individual tastes! See I on the other hand welcome sauces (as long as they compliment the burger, rather than over power it) and think ketchup should be banned in all 50 states. If it touches my burger, fries, hot dog, cake, beer, ect, there will be a body count. But I accept that others think it doesn't taste like red sugar paste. I also enjoy a bit of mayo on a burger time to time

I think, perhaps there needs to be the accepted commonplace rules for the different styles of burger as well.

Slider

This must be cooked on a griddle top. Techniques beyond here can vary (a spot in Michigan covers them with a cloth to lock in steam, brilliance) but in general, the burger should be small in size, cooked onions on top, flipped with onions now on the griddle, American cheese applied and the buns stacked on top. Pickles and ketchup () may be applied by the burger fiend at their leisure. Bun should be standard white or potato.

Fast-food Style

A smaller patty, but larger than slider style. Can be griddle cooked or grilled. Bun should be standard white, with optional sesame seeds. Adornments by standard are lettuce, tomato and onions with pickles being common as well. In many cases, a "special sauce" by the purveyor is essential to these burgers (In N Out, Blue 9, ect). Additional condiments are welcome.

Pub Style

A large patty, ideally cooked medium-rare unless you hate juicy flavor and the happy meat face that results. Griddle or fried preparation so the burger develops a good char on both sides. Should be served on a sturdy bun, preferably kaiser or brioche and maintain a stable burger-to-bun ratio. Adornments of shredded lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles are fine but often discarded. Cheddar and bacon are optimal toppings and no condiments should be necessary.
I want this right now. With ketchup. Oh, and I'd keep the onions and pickles but toss the lettuce and tomato. Salad doesn't belong on a burger.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I want this right now. With ketchup. Oh, and I'd keep the onions and pickles but toss the lettuce and tomato. Salad doesn't belong on a burger.
Ha yea after writing that I'm craving every essential burger out there, especially pub style. The melty cheese glory cascading down the side and onto the plate, making a perfect target for a french fry. The crispy bacon piled so high that the skyscrapers of NY turn their heads for a second glance. My pint of Guinness looking on in admiration and humbled by its association with such a grand presence.

Tomorrow: pub.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Ha yea after writing that I'm craving every essential burger out there, especially pub style. The melty cheese glory cascading down the side and onto the plate, making a perfect target for a french fry. The crispy bacon piled so high that the skyscrapers of NY turn their heads for a second glance. My pint of Guinness looking on in admiration and humbled by its association with such a grand presence.

Tomorrow: pub.
Aw, you are a poet!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:

Slider

Fast-food Style

Pub Style

You must watch this film: Hamburger America

And read this book: Hamburger America: Completely Revised and Updated Edition: A State-by-State Guide to 150 Great Burger Joints: George Motz: 9780762440702: Amazon.com: Books

Basically covers all the bases of burgers and ways they are served regionally in the U.S. In addition to the Manna, Rossi's in Trenton made this book as well. The newer edition has the White Rose system from Linden, I believe.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
im not so sure gas is cheaper in nj anymore. it seems to me like the averages i hear reported on the radio across the country are lower than nj.

also, id do the tappan zee instead of the gwb. it seems like whenever i drive to boston, i get killed at the gwb. ive had better luck with the tappan zee, but with construction issues these days you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey