Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM

7 posts, read 46,347 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out of my parents however I am having problems trying to figure out if I can afford it or not.

We make about 32k a year.
I need to live within 45 min of hackensack
My car insurance and car take up about $600 a month (300 for each =/)
Also I would like to own (would rather pay around the same a month to own something than spend the same for renting)

So far it seems almost impossible to move out on 32k however I have heard of people doing it in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times
Instead of driving yourself nuts, thinking about it.

How much can you do without now a month?
Put that amount in a savings account , every month/paycheck.

Think of it as paying a mortgage or rent.
say $1000, put it away
If you can survive for awhile, you will know if you can pay the rent/mortgage.
and the bonus is you have that amount in the bank for a down payment or emergency fund.

If you survive with $1000 going in, increase to $1200. then $1400
increase until it hurts

then you will know

But the best time to fund a down payment is NOW!
while you do not have rent or a house.

Stepping into one of those and getting in over your head could be a problem for a long time getting out.

Your car expenses are 1/4 of your income.
I assume Ins. and loans, work on paying them off the loans
That will help a lot
reduce to 1 car, save half the ins cost (if you can)

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
I agree to paying off the car loan. My car loan and insurance are about that much as well, and it eats a lot of my income up. Then I am also paying back student loans which eat up about $600 as well. It doesn't leave me with much income at all. So I am living with my grandmother and since I can barely save, I have to stay until I can.

I think you should move out until you are comfortable and not questioning whether you can afford to move into a place on your income.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
kid at my office is only making 30k year (brings home like $2k/month) and he does well on his own. He is only paying 900/month for a 1 bedroom apt and is driving an 06 maxima that I think he bough used.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 46,347 times
First off i forgot about this post i just remembered about it today lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
Instead of driving yourself nuts, thinking about it.

How much can you do without now a month?
Put that amount in a savings account , every month/paycheck.

Think of it as paying a mortgage or rent.
say $1000, put it away
If you can survive for awhile, you will know if you can pay the rent/mortgage.
and the bonus is you have that amount in the bank for a down payment or emergency fund.

If you survive with $1000 going in, increase to $1200. then $1400
increase until it hurts

then you will know

But the best time to fund a down payment is NOW!
while you do not have rent or a house.

Stepping into one of those and getting in over your head could be a problem for a long time getting out.

Your car expenses are 1/4 of your income.
I assume Ins. and loans, work on paying them off the loans
That will help a lot
reduce to 1 car, save half the ins cost (if you can)
I will try this idea out and see how it works. Atm i am putting $200 extra to my car payment to pay it off as fast as I can. As for insurance my age dosent help with my insurance cost =/

Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Who is "we"?

Definitely doable for one person, but there will need to be some significant sacrifices. If there are two of you only making 32k, it will be really stretching it.

If possible, I would ditch the car and buy a beater. Then get the minimum insurance. The insurance on a car you don't outright own is killer if you are under 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey