Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 PM

335 posts, read 974,490 times

Advertisements

Work is in Livingston.

Looking for a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom single family house, with a budget of $520 k.

Priorities are a safe town, not known for flooding and with good schools (does not have to be the best schools).

Can someone compare the pros and cons of these two towns?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM

225 posts, read 720,896 times
Both good towns and right next to one another. I think they are very very similar to one another. I would look into homes in both towns and just see what you end up liking best.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
Both good towns and right next to one another. I think they are very very similar to one another. I would look into homes in both towns and just see what you end up liking best.
that was my initial thought too. i think cedar grove's taxes are lower. i'm biased towards CG but only bc i lived there. I think either would be fine.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Both have much better taxes than surrounding towns (i.e. Montclair, West Orange). HS rankings almost identical and about the same class size. Towns are about equal in population. You might as well throw in Caldwell as well. I know two people who moved to Verona recently, so that would make me lean slightly toward that, but really, like I said, they seem v similar.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
The towns are similar, but Verona is definitely the nicer of the two. Verona has Verona Park and a small, but decent downtown. Cedar Grove is mostly just strip malls along route 23. I know a family that lives in Cedar Grove and they make fun of their own town for having little to offer. Housing costs, taxes, schools, crime, etc. are about the same in both towns.
Verona would be easier for commuting to Livingston and it's also closer to route 280.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The towns are similar, but Verona is definitely the nicer of the two. Verona has Verona Park and a small, but decent downtown. Cedar Grove is mostly just strip malls along route 23. I know a family that lives in Cedar Grove and they make fun of their own town for having little to offer. Housing costs, taxes, schools, crime, etc. are about the same in both towns.
Verona would be easier for commuting to Livingston and it's also closer to route 280.
I totally agree. Verona has a downtown area, whereas while Cedar Grove is a nice town, it doesn't have a real town "feel". Verona residents seem to love their town. Verona Park is nice.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 PM

58 posts, read 153,484 times
Move to the south end of cedar grove right next to Verona, and pay less in taxes.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
the effective tax rate seems to be quite a bit lower in CG. I knew they were always known as one of the lowest tax rates in the county.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...gtr11essex.pdf

Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM

389 posts, read 664,040 times
Question Not to hijack this thread....but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer123 View Post
Move to the south end of cedar grove right next to Verona, and pay less in taxes.

I was reading some old threads about Cedar Grove. There were concerns about it being 'clique-y' and unwelcoming to newcomers... What's Cedar Grove like these days? Same? Schools decent? Taxes are very attractive... I am also wondering about commute to Wall St options....

My house hunt is pushed to next summer/fall (assuming I list/sell my place in the spring), so I am back to learning the Jersey landscape :-)

Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM

If looking in Verona, I've heard there is proposed construction which includes blasting that would impact surrounding streets:
Verona Meeting Tonight to discuss Blasting Proposed for 176-200 Bloomfield Avenue // The Alternative Press: NJ's Daily Hyperlocal Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey