Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 17,057 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone -

We are a 30+ couple living in Jersey City NJ. We are planning to start a family soon, and are looking to buy a townhouse in berkley heights. We have done some research in the area and we found out it has good schools, small town vibe and not very expensive which is what we are looking for right now.

Depends on how we like it here, we might stay for longer or move back to Jersey city and rent the place out. Since we both are used to living near the city, we want to keep our options open if we decide to move back just in case.

Does any one have an idea or experience with rentals in Berkley Heights? The place we are looking at is a mile from the station.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Just watch with respect to the coming upgrade to the power lines. There is going to be pretty significant disruption to traffic patterns and some condo complexes are squarely in the right-of-way. Life will be a nightmare in these areas for a while. Big time noise and dust. For example Braemar condos have towers right in their parking lots. Just watch.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 AM

605 posts, read 2,146,752 times
BH is nice. Older homes with large lots. Not much of a downtown but has what you need and access to route 22/Watchung for big box stuff. I worked throughout Berkely Heights as a social worker a few years back. There are lots of older people there who raised their families in the 50/60's and are now aging out of the community. Younger families moving in. It shows that people love it there.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,867 times
Good area, you should like it, although I wouldn't call it cheap by the standards of most people (compared to a city/JC though, it certainly is most likely).

Nearby areas are also very nice. Long Hill/Gillette/Stirling/Millington, Warren, Watchung, etc, if you can't find what you're looking for in BH. They tend to feel a bit more rural overall than BH though, and you have to watch the distance to the train stations/traffic, especially if you look south of 78, as most roads with interchanges get a good 10min+ of traffic delay at rush hours.

Also, your new neighbors will probably tell you, but July 16th every year (unless it's a Sunday IIRC, then they reschedule) is one of the best fireworks shows you will ever see. EDIT: Last 3min of the 45min+ show: http://youtu.be/75CbKRaN5Dk?t=16m37s

Last edited by millerm277; 12-11-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Thank you.

@Marc -

As a matter of fact there is a power line in the view of the town house. Will watch out when they are doing the upgrades.

@Magic -

Yea seems like it. I like the area and seems very rural and calm. Its nice to come home to after working in the city.

@Miller -

Yea I should have used the term affordable . Nice to know about the fireworks.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:17 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,925,447 times
Are you looking a the new condo by the train track? As I recall, they are 2 bedroom condo only.
We used to live in Jersey City and now we are in BH. We own a condo in Jersey City and bought a singal family house in BH when my son was ready for school. We rent the condo out and return is pretty good ($1750 per month for 2 bedroom condo). The rent itself covers our mortgage and tax of the condo.
When we started searching houses in good school district, we once thought about buying townhouse becasue of the high price tag in BH/NP/Summit area. My husband also used to the hand-free life style of townhouse/condo and convenient commute offerred by JC. However, we thought twice about the reason we want to move out JC. We not only want the school, we also want more space for our child and want him to be able to expose to nature more instead of being a city boy growing up in concrete buildings. Therefore, we ended up getting singal family house and we love it.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
BH is nice. Older homes with large lots. Not much of a downtown but has what you need and access to route 22/Watchung for big box stuff. I worked throughout Berkely Heights as a social worker a few years back. There are lots of older people there who raised their families in the 50/60's and are now aging out of the community. Younger families moving in. It shows that people love it there.
A very nice area. I live on the border of BH and Warren and find both to be exceptionally nice. And this is coming from someone who grew up in Basking Ridge! The downtown BH has a great array of restaurants including Trap Rock Brewery which brew their own beer.

My only complaint about BH is the large amount of 1960s split level homes -- not my thing. Warren and Watchung have older homes with more personality.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM

@bay -

We are buying in berkley meadows. We looked at the townhouse next to the tracks, and the interior was pretty good. But we didn't like that the Townhouses were right in front of each other.

@Freshlakes757

Yea I heard about that and I am planning to go there soon and I love beer

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM

208 posts, read 468,396 times
I"m looking at Berkeley Heights as well but considering Watchung. Does the part of Watchung go to the Berkeley Heights High School or do they all go to the Regional School?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,483 times
Nice area. I currently live near B.H. but will be moving soon. I find some of the streets to not be very bike friendly but other than that it's probably the best bang for the buck in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey