Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,154,848 times

Advertisements

Rutgers has an excellent reputation. It is one of the Public Ivies, according to Greene.

It is a big school, however, so you must be comfortable with that.

BTW, OP, congratulations on all your acceptances!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 AM

382 posts, read 722,654 times
I'm pretty familiar with Rutgers and I would say it's definitely worth attending. Although there are some potential negatives (crowded buses, "RU Screw" i.e, bureaucratic nonsense, etc.) I think the size of the school allows for many opportunities to have a great college experience. If you're a slacker who wants to just party, you'll definitely find your crowd there (although you might regret wasting your $$$ years from now!), but if you plan on balancing academics and a fun social life, you can get a great education. You're close to the City, you can support the sports teams if that's your thing, you can find your niche thanks to the diversity of the student body, and you save money. If I were in your position, I'd seriously consider Rutgers. (But I don't know if I'd base my decision primarily on the reputation of the Grease Trucks --- they're a little gross unless you've been drinking, IMHO!)

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM

386 posts, read 872,934 times
Thanks for all the replies, opinions, and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

I've heard less than stellar things about New Brunswick...but having grown up in depressed areas all my life, it's not phasing me.

Again, thanks a bunch guys.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,028,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Thanks for all the replies, opinions, and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

I've heard less than stellar things about New Brunswick...but having grown up in depressed areas all my life, it's not phasing me.

Again, thanks a bunch guys.
New Brunswick is not exactly a depressed area. I have lived in the area my whole life and it just keeps getting better and better. The only reason I did not attend Rutgers is because it was too close to home, having lived very close to it my whole life and I wanted a change, only to come back to the area after finishing school. Having gone to many parties there, though I was never a student, and with NB never being short of things to do, this IS the ultimate college experience. Go to Rutgers, you will be happy you did.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 PM

225 posts, read 352,636 times
I have a big Rutgers family so when I started applying to colleges, I wanted to be different and go somewhere else. Then I went to a prospective student day at Rutgers just for the hell of it and ended up loving it much more than I thought I would. It also didn't hurt that, for my area of study, Rutgers is #3 in the country. I even came back for graduate school. Rutgers is the quintessential college experience. You have the opportunity to meet a lot of different people, you get a great education, and the social/party scene is very active. New Brunswick is a great college town. I don't think it is unfair to compare it to Ann Arbor. Plus its right on the Northeast corridor so whenever you want you can go to New York, Philly, Boston, or D.C.

Of course, it's your decision but don't base that decision solely on the Rutgers hating crowd. They don't know what they're talking about. For some odd reason, some New Jersey natives seem to think Rutgers is a bad school. It's not. New Jersey is the only place where people seem to have that perception.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,950,670 times
Speaking from my experience, a long time ago, I was one of those that went out of state for undergraduate. Parents dictated (and financed) that I go at least 100 miles away from home for college. I lived close enough to Douglass/Cook campus to walk, so Rutgers was definitely not an option, nor was any school in NJ. Four years later, undergraduate degree in hand, I came home and on my own dime attended Rutgers for Graduate School. I was still young enough to appreciate the mix of undergraduate and graduate students sharing the same library, student center (where there were bars on campus~am I dating myself?) and classroom buildings. Basketball fever was at it's peak in that era~I'd highly recommend spending a day on campus, shadowing a student, eating in a campus dining hall, checking the bus system, looking over the residence halls etc. of every campus before you make your final decision.

Also, coming out of college with as little debt as possible would be a priority of mine if I had to do it over again. That's why I chose it for Graduate School~I could afford it without having to take out loans, I lived at home, and found jobs that fit around my school schedule, was able to take TA positions in my field and partake in the social activities of the campus.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post

Well, at least it's not fazing you!

(If you look it up in your dictionary, you will be glad that you did.)

Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,528,582 times
Do yourself a favor and get out of Jersey for college. Regardless of debt, it's nice to get another regional flavor for undergrad (you know, for life perspective sake.)

Rutgers might have a good reputation academically but there are many cons. As said, it's a state school so that means cheaper than most other private schools. When you compare RU to the other state schools such as Penn, UC's, or U of T, the cost is higher and the facilities are crappier. Not to mention that with the inflated costs come constant cutbacks in educational opportunities. Over the last 5 years departments have been getting chopped in favor of cost cutting. For me personally, I can't get on board with something like that. I also have a close friend who went to RU and graduated a few years back and loves to remind me how nearly none of his college friends are currently employed. Obviously if you are going to a specialized program, I'm sure you'll get a job out of college. If you are just a regular jersey joe, I'm not sure if RU has as good of job connections as a private school.

Oh yeah and as far as debt goes you have your whole life to pay it back so just keep adding to the "student loan bubble" as it's not going away anytime soon :-)

Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 AM

386 posts, read 872,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, at least it's not fazing you!

(If you look it up in your dictionary, you will be glad that you did.)
hahaha that too

Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Do yourself a favor and get out of Jersey for college. Regardless of debt, it's nice to get another regional flavor for undergrad (you know, for life perspective sake.)

Rutgers might have a good reputation academically but there are many cons. As said, it's a state school so that means cheaper than most other private schools. When you compare RU to the other state schools such as Penn, UC's, or U of T, the cost is higher and the facilities are crappier. Not to mention that with the inflated costs come constant cutbacks in educational opportunities. Over the last 5 years departments have been getting chopped in favor of cost cutting. For me personally, I can't get on board with something like that. I also have a close friend who went to RU and graduated a few years back and loves to remind me how nearly none of his college friends are currently employed. Obviously if you are going to a specialized program, I'm sure you'll get a job out of college. If you are just a regular jersey joe, I'm not sure if RU has as good of job connections as a private school.

Oh yeah and as far as debt goes you have your whole life to pay it back so just keep adding to the "student loan bubble" as it's not going away anytime soon :-)
This entire post is almost all baloney. Except the cheaper part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey