Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
By the way, in case anyone didn't notice, the Mayans are dead, buried, and forgotten, and so is their language and culture. If they could accurately predict the future, they would still be here.
Who said they could predict the future? They never said that the world was ending on 12/21/2012. Some idiot looked at their calendar and came up with a crackpot theory that had no basis in reality. That's like me picking up a wall calendar that ends with December 31st 2013. OMG THE END OF THE WORLD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
By the way, in case anyone didn't notice, the Mayans are dead, buried, and forgotten, and so is their language and culture. If they could accurately predict the future, they would still be here.
I don't exactly think they are forgotten at least not by people who like history

Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Before it's too late then, I'll admit that I've loved every single one of Marc Paollela's free-market rants on C-D
I needed a good chuckle right about now

Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Who said they could predict the future? They never said that the world was ending on 12/21/2012. Some idiot looked at their calendar and came up with a crackpot theory that had no basis in reality. That's like me picking up a wall calendar that ends with December 31st 2013. OMG THE END OF THE WORLD!!!

OMG, it's the end of the world!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM

341 posts, read 678,614 times
Quote:
The descendants of the Mayans currently inhabit areas in southern Mexico and Central America. Their language is not dead. Many Mayan dialects are still spoken. There are over 30 Mayan dialects spoken in Guatemala alone. I have traveled extensively throughout southern Mexico and Guatemala and have personally witnessed many Mayan festivals and rituals that are still practiced the way they were over a thousand years ago. Also, the Mayans never predicted the world would end in 2012. So, not only are their culture and languages alive and well, the direct descendants of the Mayans are still alive.

And, in case you did not notice, they still call themselves Mayans.

Mayan Language & Geography
http://www.criscenzo.com/jaguarsun/mayanow.html

Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
world didn't end, darn it, I just spent my last penny.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
The descendants of the Mayans currently inhabit areas in southern Mexico and Central America. Their language is not dead. Many Mayan dialects are still spoken. There are over 30 Mayan dialects spoken in Guatemala alone. I have traveled extensively throughout southern Mexico and Guatemala and have personally witnessed many Mayan festivals and rituals that are still practiced the way they were over a thousand years ago. Also, the Mayans never predicted the world would end in 2012. So, not only are their culture and languages alive and well, the direct descendants of the Mayans are still alive.

Don't waste your time-there are few things that DON'T get that guys panties in a wad Personally I think this whole thing plus the Harold Camping debacle was cooked up by REM so they could milk the royalties

Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 PM

341 posts, read 678,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Don't waste your time-there are few things that DON'T get that guys panties in a wad Personally I think this whole thing plus the Harold Camping debacle was cooked up by REM so they could milk the royalties
I guess your right. I usually don't respond to ignorance, but the post in question took it to a whole new realm.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post

Mayan Language & Geography
The Maya Today
Not something I'd be proud of. The Mayans were horrible savages, practicing all manner of beastly behavior, human sacrifice, warring and plundering, killing everything around them, and, by all accounts, ultimately destroying ther own environment until becoming extinct. The people that live in the areas where the Mayans lived, if you can call it living, might claim to be descendants, but I doubt it. Probably just attempting to bask in non-existent reflected glory and so forth. It's funny how we romanticize and reinvent a past that often never existed. But I digress...

Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Not something I'd be proud of. The Mayans were horrible savages, practicing all manner of beastly behavior, human sacrifice, warring and plundering, killing everything around them, and, by all accounts, ultimately destroying ther own environment until becoming extinct. The people that live in the areas where the Mayans lived, if you can call it living, might claim to be descendants, but I doubt it. Probably just attempting to bask in non-existent reflected glory and so forth. It's funny how we romanticize and reinvent a past that often never existed. But I digress...
I love it-this guy is angry at Mayans...how the f*** does someone get all hot and bothered about Mayans!?!? What's next, a hate filled diatribe about mom and apple pie?

OH NO!!! The Gods have been angered!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey