Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just hang on. A guy named NexisForNJ will come along and tell you where in Newark is safe to live.
As if he's the only one who could possibly give an answer.

And nycnjkid & I spent all this time putting together a map for just these types of questions, and everybody just forgets about it.

The map itself is here. The thread is here.

It basically depends on where on North 6th Street the OP is moving to. If it's North 6th Street south of I-280, then it won't be too much better than East NY. If it's in Lower Roseville, it would be more like Cypress Hills or the better parts of City Line. If it's in Upper Roseville, then you have to use a little bit more than just regular urban street-smarts, but otherwise, it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Yes, there is racism in SOME sections of Newark, but Newark is HUGE. The Ivy Hill Section & Iron Bound has plenty of white people, so does north Newark & Forest Hills.
Actually, not really. The northern part of Newark is mostly Hispanic. Ivy Hill still has some whites, but I wouldn't say "plenty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

And nycnjkid & I spent all this time putting together a map for just these types of questions, and everybody just forgets about it.

so not only does mightyqueen have a potty mouth, but she also fails to recognize the hard work of other people! i think she should be suspended another 3 days!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM

271 posts, read 417,236 times
ARE YOU LOOKING TO MOVE TO 6TH AND 3RD AVE BY THE PARK AVE STATION ? i like on 9th but i looked at apartments over there ... roseville ( lower in your case) is one of the more stable neighborhoods in newark ... mainly just keep to your self ... like a poster said i wouldnt move closer to central ( i used to live on central and norfolk, which isnt really near 6th but i can call you 3rd didnt look ultra inviting when i used to cross it) .. if your by park ave then the apartments are cheaper than anything you can find anywhere else and your night next to the subway ... your next to branch brook park and in a safe enough area ... yeah north ironbound is nice but roseville is comparable

Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM

271 posts, read 417,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

It basically depends on where on North 6th Street the OP is moving to. If it's North 6th Street south of I-280, then it won't be too much better than East NY. If it's in Lower Roseville, it would be more like Cypress Hills or the better parts of City Line. If it's in Upper Roseville, then you have to use a little bit more than just regular urban street-smarts, but otherwise, it's fine.

Actually, not really. The northern part of Newark is mostly Hispanic. Ivy Hill still has some whites, but I wouldn't say "plenty".

you got your rosevilles mixed up bruh .... 12th and 1st is suburban and 5th and orange is more urban but hes pretty much right ... even in the rougher parts i dont look over my back at all ... compared to westside and weequahic and vailsburg, roseville is charming and neighborhoodly ( not a word but you guys know what i mean )

Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so not only does mightyqueen have a potty mouth, but she also fails to recognize the hard work of other people! i think she should be suspended another 3 days!
I'll suspend myself and save the mods the trouble.

I think checkmatechamp should also get dinged for failing to exercise his sense of humor. Obviously my reference to Nexis coming along to tell all about Newark was meant to be amusing, but I guess because I didn't remember the Newark map, that cancelled out the levity.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Why?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM

46 posts, read 79,873 times
Exact address would be needed.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'll suspend myself and save the mods the trouble.

I think checkmatechamp should also get dinged for failing to exercise his sense of humor. Obviously my reference to Nexis coming along to tell all about Newark was meant to be amusing, but I guess because I didn't remember the Newark map, that cancelled out the levity.
i thought it was really funny that he seemed bothered by the fact that you gave all the credit to nexis and ignored his hard work!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 13,929 times
I'm moving to the Forest hill area in a month ( from Washington Heights, NY). This post has been extra helpful...and comical Love the map! Everytime I mentioned North Newark people do not know what to think. I always have to say I heard it's the safer part of Newark.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Newark is a great place to live.

Don't miss the cherry blossom festival in branch brook park. Great place to take a stroll.

Its mayor is doing such a wonderful job, THEY, are going to run him for the senate.

Big name hospital well versed in gun shot and stab wounds and a major airport for a quick escape.

Don't wory about taxes as Newark schools recieved a 100 million $$ gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey