Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM

460 posts, read 982,191 times

Advertisements

I am so excited to be visiting the NYC area next week from SF! Hoboken sounds like a gentrified part of Oakland. SF rents are so high that people move east to areas near downtown Oakland.

In Hudson County, where do the single locals go for a good time- Hoboken? The Bergenline Ave commercial strip in North Hudson?

I am staying in Boerum Hill of Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,612 times
i missed this thread first time around. i lived in Hoboken from 1992 to 1998. In 92, the rule of thumb was to stay away from any of the "presidents", Clinton, Jefferson ect. (washington st excluded). it was by no means "a dump" then, it was a great place to live as a single kid just out of school. Basically the further away from the river you got, the grittier the neighborhoods became.

By 98 though this had changed. As the rents went up, it pushed people further west and the neighborhoods improved.

Even back then, there were a lot of clowns hanging around in some of the bars (Bahama Mamas comes to mind). they weren't people who lived in Hoboken though, just came in at night from Bergen County etc. where they were probably living with Mommmy and Daddy.

There were plently of great spots to go at night, just needed to stay away from the places where the cheese balls hung out.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 PM

382 posts, read 804,378 times
The mafia burnt down the old buildings. Thus, the Hoboken we know today.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
I am so excited to be visiting the NYC area next week from SF! Hoboken sounds like a gentrified part of Oakland. SF rents are so high that people move east to areas near downtown Oakland.

In Hudson County, where do the single locals go for a good time- Hoboken? The Bergenline Ave commercial strip in North Hudson?

I am staying in Boerum Hill of Brooklyn.
Washington St. is the main drag in Hoboken. Bergenline is a few miles away and immigrant-y.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i missed this thread first time around. i lived in Hoboken from 1992 to 1998. In 92, the rule of thumb was to stay away from any of the "presidents", Clinton, Jefferson ect. (washington st excluded). it was by no means "a dump" then, it was a great place to live as a single kid just out of school. Basically the further away from the river you got, the grittier the neighborhoods became.

By 98 though this had changed. As the rents went up, it pushed people further west and the neighborhoods improved.

Even back then, there were a lot of clowns hanging around in some of the bars (Bahama Mamas comes to mind). they weren't people who lived in Hoboken though, just came in at night from Bergen County etc. where they were probably living with Mommmy and Daddy.

There were plently of great spots to go at night, just needed to stay away from the places where the cheese balls hung out.
I must ask, how much was rent back then for like a one bedroom apt in Hoboken? I'm guessing a big difference between Wash and say Adams in terms of price?

Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I mean, some could still argue that Hoboken still is a huge dump. You can only hide the toxicity of the grounds that these new lofts are built on so much

Some of my immediate family was born and raised in hoboken. They sold an apartment on 8 or 9 and Wash. back in the late 1980s for 300K. Actually not a bad price for the 80s, but now it's probably worth almost a mill.

Hoboken was different even as close back as 10 years ago. I used to go there to visit my grandmother back in high school. It was as "hot" as it is today, certainly less crowded, more laid back and less guido and bro bars.

Of course don't ever get my dad and my grandmother started on the "gold old days" in hoboken during a family dinner. You'll eventually want to gauge your eyes out with a knife. They never shut the hell up about this family who owned this building, snackenbergs bakery, the old factories, the random deaths by people they knew, the flooding, the riots, Ugh, I always have to remind them that Hoboken is not the center of the universe and most people don't know or care about it.
How nice of you. Your family must appreciate your respect and kindness.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
How nice of you. Your family must appreciate your respect and kindness.
I listen to a point. When a whole family dinner consists of various bickering and arguments about Hoboken in the '60s then I KINDLY remind them that Hoboken isn't the center of the universe.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:23 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Now it's full of yuppies and drunk college kids. So it went downhill--I prefer it like it was before.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
My mother grew-up at 820 Bloomfield...I was born in the early 60's and remember visiting my Grandma in the 70's -early 90's...my aunt worked for Bethlehem Steel and my uncle worked for Maxwell House...after my Grandma died they sold it (early 90's) for $360,000...today it would sell for well over 1million...I remember my aunt got mugged in the early 70's and i thought it looked pretty dumpy till the mid-90's! But it always had great bakeries and Italian deli's!!! Oh and I remember John's Bargain store and the Union Club(restaurant)!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
still is, only a more pretentious dump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey