Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,038 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to New Jersey in a few months for work. My job will be in Newark. I am from Northern California, which is very rural. I have never even visited the East Coast and I am extremely nervous to be moving alone. I was seeking some advice on where the best areas to live would be; considering aproximity to Newark, safety and cost. I have heard bad things about Newark, however I have noticed it does have the cheapest rent. Any advice that I could get would be extremely helpful. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 PM

204 posts, read 774,668 times
MandyLyn-please don't let 'cheap' rent sway you-stay away from Newark. Coming from a rural area in CA to Newark is more of a culture shock than you will probably ever experience in your entire life. Don't know your age-but I would NEVER want my daughter to live in (or even visit) Newark.

Research areas around Newark-altho none are really "great." Bloomfield is one that may fit your needs.

I would hope you're going to physically visit prior to making the move. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,972,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandylynn View Post
I am relocating to New Jersey in a few months for work. My job will be in Newark. I am from Northern California, which is very rural. I have never even visited the East Coast and I am extremely nervous to be moving alone. I was seeking some advice on where the best areas to live would be; considering aproximity to Newark, safety and cost. I have heard bad things about Newark, however I have noticed it does have the cheapest rent. Any advice that I could get would be extremely helpful. Thank you
stay away from newark, there is a major rail station there and you can find some real nice towns 30-40 minutes away, get a map and then research and before you commit to anything visit the place

Old 10-20-2007, 04:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,901,294 times
I agree that you don't want to live in Newark but I can't go as far as saying I wouldn't let my daughter visit there. If your job is near the train station then you will be in an area that is well populated. If not then you can drive in and park close to where you work.

I hope if you are coming to NJ for a job that you are being paid enough to make this move worthwile. NJ is expensive but there is a lot of great things to see and do here and close by. There are so many towns to consider, it would be helpful to know what type of budget you have.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 30,051 times

Look I was born and raise in Newark and have moved due to the crime rate. Yes the rent is cheap....but you get what you pay for. I recommend looking for apts in the outer skirts of Newark such as Linden, Rahway,Cranford, Kenilworth. Good luck...and if you must stay in Newark ...look in the down town area where this is plenty of police presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandylynn View Post

Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 AM

859 posts, read 3,323,645 times
No country girl should live in Newark, it would be way too much for you to handle most likely. I grew up in suburbs probably 15 minutes from Newark and I couldn't handle living there.

Tell us your budget and we'll give you some alternatives.

Off hand, some suggestions would be Lyndhurst, North Arlington, certain parts of Clifton, Verona.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,933,142 times
Any real Californian knows-if the rent is cheap -there is a reason. They wouldn't have to ask. CA or NJ. Rural area or not.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:13 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,816,410 times
You could also consider Bloomfield.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:36 PM

66 posts, read 387,206 times
Pl do not even think of living in Newark irrespective of where u r from.
Bfoomfield, nutley, jersey city r some places u could consider.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,770,329 times
I agree. I went to Rutgers Newark and felt very safe - when on campus in the daylight. I wouldn't even take evening classes. Besides, you will stick out like a sore thumb, perfect target. They know whos familiar and who's not.
Stay out of Newark to live. Just not a good idea. Good luck and welcome to NJ!
There are a lot of great places to live here, you'll find yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey