Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 17,577 times

Advertisements

i am thinking to move to the Newark NewJersey near Newark Penn station.
I have been to that place once in the day time. The place where i am looking to move is near to prudential center and its very near to train station. I just want to know that is it the safe place to live or move? especially with reference to the crime like things. Some of my friends told me that its not the safe place specifically in the nite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:39 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,635,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishu View Post
i am thinking to move to the Newark NewJersey near Newark Penn station.
I have been to that place once in the day time. The place where i am looking to move is near to prudential center and its very near to train station. I just want to know that is it the safe place to live or move? especially with reference to the crime like things. Some of my friends told me that its not the safe place specifically in the nite.
Can you give more information about exactly where you're talking about? On one side of the train station is the Ironbound neighborhood, which is relatively safe. On the other side of the train station, things can be a little more sketchy.

I assume you will be walking back and forth between your home and the train station to commute for work?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,786 times
Don't move to Newark. Just say no.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 19,687 times
Vishu, I would not recommend you move to move Newark unless it is the Forest Hills section. There may be one or two luxury highrise buildings downtown w/doormen that are safe but they are ridiculously pricey. I would pass if I were you.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM

its on the 108 mulberry street at market street. i think its not on Ironbound district.
Pls suggest what should i do. Actually this building in on the main road near parking. Obviously like sometime i am late in the nite.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,635,045 times
You're right Vishu, that's not in the Ironbound district; that's on the other side of the train station.

Why are you planning to move to Newark? Where are you moving from? Where will you be working? And what was it that got you thinking about Newark in the first place? If you can give us more details, I'm sure we can think of other suggestions.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 35,068 times
Do Not Move To Newark

Last edited by SMFTP; 01-26-2009 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
You're right Vishu, that's not in the Ironbound district; that's on the other side of the train station.

Why are you planning to move to Newark? Where are you moving from? Where will you be working? And what was it that got you thinking about Newark in the first place? If you can give us more details, I'm sure we can think of other suggestions.
Well, i just thought of moving. Presently i m in newport/pavonia, but this place seems to be very costly. So looking for the some other place which is near to the train station and little bit cheaper. I work in manhatten and dont want to commute moe than half an hour. Please suggest me some other place that helps me. But anyway, now i have dropped the idea of moving to Newark..

Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishu View Post
Well, i just thought of moving. Presently i m in newport/pavonia, but this place seems to be very costly. So looking for the some other place which is near to the train station and little bit cheaper. I work in manhatten and dont want to commute moe than half an hour. Please suggest me some other place that helps me. But anyway, now i have dropped the idea of moving to Newark..
Market and Mulberry is in downtown newark. It's pretty rough there, I wouldn't recommend it.

How much are you paying now, and what kind of budget are you on ?

You can get cheaper apartments around Journal Square, and it's much safer than Newark. btw, I can't tell from your name if you're Indian, but there is a row of Indian grocery stores and restaurants near JSQ, on Newark Avenue just off JFK (which is what drew me to that part of town, and kept me there for quite a while)

Another place to consider is Harrison. Less upscale than where you are now, but much safer than Newark.

Another idea is to try Brooklyn. The good neighborhoods there are usually very expensive, but you could luck out and find a good deal if you hook up with a landlord who is willing to rent it out at below market rate.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM

238 posts, read 729,246 times
If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about that building in front of the PSE&G building. That building was renovated about 2-3 years ago. They wanted to attract professional people into Newark, however, the plan failed. No matter how nice the pain it, they can't seem to be able to change the city. Very dangerous and I would not move there in a millions years.

Anyway....good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey