Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 AM

271 posts, read 417,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Gawd View Post
I am also thinking of moving to Newark.

I'm in my senior year of college at the University of Washington in Seattle and I have wanted to live on the east coast my whole life. Summer 2013 I will be graduated with my BA in Accounting. I like the idea of Newark because I have a lot of family in PA and Jersey.. I want to live in a mid-sized to semi big city with a good sized minority population. The fact that Newark is close to NYC also plays a large role.

I'm not really that concerned about crime too much but I don't want to live in the worst part of the city. I've been to places like Detroit so I know how to conduct myself.

I'm just curious as to what you guys think the job market would be like for me and costs of housing. It would be nice to work at a public accounting firm but I will definitely keep my options open. My ideal realistic salary range would be 35-50k and I'm a single guy so a one bedroom apartment is fine. I pay $760 a month for the smallest studio apartment in the world right now so I'm used to pricey places.

I just want to start a fresh slate in life and I think Newark would be a good place for me. What is the young population like (ages 20-30)?

I know I'm asking a lot of random questions but if anyone could give me any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

check university heights/ ironbound/ forest hill ... theres young people there... safe area... new parks being built ... good place to touch down in newark while you explore the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,080 times
Don't DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam123 View Post
Don't DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!
what do you actually know about newark FIRST HAND and how many years of experience do you have to make you entitled to that stance ???

like the other person said univ height... studeabaker lofts in broad s. rr area

Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
If you want to move to the near-NYC area, do yourself a favor and move to Jersey City. The Newport area that the OP is (was?) in is an excellent location.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you want to move to the near-NYC area, do yourself a favor and move to Jersey City. The Newport area that the OP is (was?) in is an excellent location.
how can you justify moving to jersey city over manhattan ????? price??? save 50 bucks and be outside of nyc ???

Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
how can you justify moving to jersey city over manhattan ????? price??? save 50 bucks and be outside of nyc ???
People in this thread have generally shown interest in living in NJ so I was only comparing areas in NJ. There's options in NY and CT as well.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM

75 posts, read 130,527 times
If you feel any need to move to an area like Newark, Move to Harrison. You can walk across a bridge anytime you like and enjoy Newark. You might also want to do a search - enter: crime Newark - watch the results.

I often have people from all over ask about an area, I tell them to take the metro, get off the stop for the area you are thinking about, walk around then go to the local supermarket. If you like what you see, do it again at 11pm.
At 11pm, you can see who gets off or on. You just might want to go to the next stop.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
If you feel any need to move to an area like Newark, Move to Harrison. You can walk across a bridge anytime you like and enjoy Newark. You might also want to do a search - enter: crime Newark - watch the results.

I often have people from all over ask about an area, I tell them to take the metro, get off the stop for the area you are thinking about, walk around then go to the local supermarket. If you like what you see, do it again at 11pm.
At 11pm, you can see who gets off or on. You just might want to go to the next stop.
"take the metro ?????"

explain to me what the metro is because i live in newark and i didnt know we had " A METRO" in fact i have never heard someone say take the metro in the tri state period ...

you tell them take the metro , she wants to move to the td bank parking lot( 108 mulberry isnt even a residential building ... and yet you guys wonder why we have such a bad attitude... its clear that 90 percent of this thread doesnt know newark that well... clearly you with your take the metro ...

if you guys dont actually know first hand why would you even mention bad news about a town you dont even know well enough to know when your in the gateway center ( a complex of office buildings)

TAKE A LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE TOLD HER NOT TO MOVE THERE AND NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE SAID WAIT A MINUTE THATS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE ... MULBERRY DOESNT HAVE APARTMENTS ON IT YET ANYWHERE NEAR THERE ...

maybe you should take the metro threw the city and do your own research

Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
"take the metro ?????"

explain to me what the metro is because i live in newark and i didnt know we had " A METRO" in fact i have never heard someone say take the metro in the tri state period ...

you tell them take the metro , she wants to move to the td bank parking lot( 108 mulberry isnt even a residential building ... and yet you guys wonder why we have such a bad attitude... its clear that 90 percent of this thread doesnt know newark that well... clearly you with your take the metro ...

if you guys dont actually know first hand why would you even mention bad news about a town you dont even know well enough to know when your in the gateway center ( a complex of office buildings)

TAKE A LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE TOLD HER NOT TO MOVE THERE AND NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE SAID WAIT A MINUTE THATS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE ... MULBERRY DOESNT HAVE APARTMENTS ON IT YET ANYWHERE NEAR THERE ...

maybe you should take the metro threw the city and do your own research
How do you take a metro "threw" a city?

The underground part of the Lightrail is a metro. Newark does have a metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey