Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times

Advertisements

Okay well all decisions have been made and come summer 08 me and my lil one will be on the highway that leads north. I'm excited. Really. I am.

My relatives are quite old and quite religious, so I don't trust their "it's nice here". Anyways I got tons and tons of suggestions about places to look and areas to avoid, but I figure the best thing to do will be just to look myself.

My financial advisor won't allow me to simply fly up for a look-see, so it'll have to wait until we actually move, which probably makes more sense as I'm looking at private owners more than managed complexes (lesson #1 - never cosign for a boyfriend) who will more than likely toss me out once they run my credit report - which I plan on improving soon and very soon - I'm too young to have bad credit.

Anyway, I'm rambling - that means I'm excited and my thoughts are coming too fast. Course I could erase all that and just get to the point, but what fun would that be? Oh I can't wait to be your neighbor

Anyway, I was thinking of maybe staying in one of those extended day hotel type of things for two weeks or so, while I get my bearings and do a little apartment searching...can anyone reccomend some decent ones?

These are the primary areas I liked (online) and got some positive feedback from various postes: Bridgewater, Somerville, Piscataway.

I'm in my early 20's and although I want to be safe and have somewhere for my son to play (like a park we can go) I don't want to live in Hooterville (that's from Green Acres in case no one watches tv) I have to have to have to live no more than 30 minutes away from a Super Wal-mart. I'd probably die if I didn't have the option of buying Lucky Charms, pampers and a DVD at 2:49 am.

Thanks so much! I'm moving to Jersey! Whooo hooo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 02:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

I'm in my early 20's and although I want to be safe and have somewhere for my son to play (like a park we can go) I don't want to live in Hooterville (that's from Green Acres in case no one watches tv) I have to have to have to live no more than 30 minutes away from a Super Wal-mart. I'd probably die if I didn't have the option of buying Lucky Charms, pampers and a DVD at 2:49 am.

LOL - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but to my knowledge NJ has NO Super Walmarts! Welcome anyway!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:48 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
For starters, there is one Wal-Mart Supercenter in NJ, I believe in Turnersville. The NJ UCFW is among the strongest in the nation, therefore, you won't find Super Wal Marts. NJ is very much an anti-Wal Mart state.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 35,072 times
There is indeed a Super Walmart on rte 42 in Turnersville, Gloucester County. They are talking about building more in the area soon.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
I have many friends in NJ - they don't speak of Walmarts...so as a previous poster stated, I'm going to agree that NJ is pretty anti-Walmart. There are Targets, though.

Either way, welcome!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
For starters, there is one Wal-Mart Supercenter in NJ, I believe in Turnersville. The NJ UCFW is among the strongest in the nation, therefore, you won't find Super Wal Marts. NJ is very much an anti-Wal Mart state.
Is it new? My info obviously is old. Anyhow, it's nowhere near the OP! And...I believe this state really is anti-Walmart - I didn't step foot in one until maybe 2001? Unheard of! I've only been to one Super Walmart, in Florida - my God what a scary place. Anyway, I'm OT

Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Yes, there are Walmarts and Targets, but other than that one Super Walmart, you're SOL on Super Walmarts and Super Targets. Many of the Walmarts aren't even open 24 hours in NJ............

Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Is it new? My info obviously is old. Anyhow, it's nowhere near the OP! And...I believe this state really is anti-Walmart - I didn't step foot in one until maybe 2001? Unheard of! I've only been to one Super Walmart, in Florida - my God what a scary place. Anyway, I'm OT
About as scary a place as you can get to. Case in point: here in NM, I regularly see people out at 11 pm with children in tow, sometimes with no shoes, buying stuff. Not essential stuff, mind you, just stuff. The latest I was there was one night at 1 am, I forgot what I was in there for, anyway, I saw what appeared to be grandmother, mother and about a 3 year old girl in tow. What were they buying at this ungodly hour? Not milk or bread, or medicine, but, rather BEACH TOYS! In New Mexico. There's no damn beaches here. What in the hell is someone doing dragging their kid out at this hour, to buy extraneous stuff? This is the kind of element you get when you open a Super Wal-Mart. For that, I give NJ a double check plus advantage when it comes to exhibiting good taste. NJ sort of distinguishes itself favorably from other places by disallowing certain businesses that might attract undesirables.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
About as scary a place as you can get to. Case in point: here in NM, I regularly see people out at 11 pm with children in tow, sometimes with no shoes, buying stuff. Not essential stuff, mind you, just stuff. The latest I was there was one night at 1 am, I forgot what I was in there for, anyway, I saw what appeared to be grandmother, mother and about a 3 year old girl in tow. What were they buying at this ungodly hour? Not milk or bread, or medicine, but, rather BEACH TOYS! In New Mexico. There's no damn beaches here. What in the hell is someone doing dragging their kid out at this hour, to buy extraneous stuff? This is the kind of element you get when you open a Super Wal-Mart. For that, I give NJ a double check plus advantage when it comes to exhibiting good taste. NJ sort of distinguishes itself favorably from other places by disallowing certain businesses that might attract undesirables.
I'm with you on this 100%. The dregs that seem to constitute around 75+ % of Walmart's clientele during the day are nothing compared to the derelicts you see there at night. The ones in Vegas were open 24 hours, and there wasn't a time of day or night that the parking lot wasn't packed with beatup old junkers. I was always amazed by how quickly those stores could get trashed too- they'd open a new one with sparkling floors, everything in its place, etc., and within a month the floors would be filthy, every cart would have one wheel that didn't align with the other three, and there was crap in every aisle. I'll stick with Target if I need a superstore at all, thanks.........

Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Okay well all decisions have been made and come summer 08 me and my lil one will be on the highway that leads north. I'm excited. Really. I am.

My relatives are quite old and quite religious, so I don't trust their "it's nice here". Anyways I got tons and tons of suggestions about places to look and areas to avoid, but I figure the best thing to do will be just to look myself.

My financial advisor won't allow me to simply fly up for a look-see, so it'll have to wait until we actually move, which probably makes more sense as I'm looking at private owners more than managed complexes (lesson #1 - never cosign for a boyfriend) who will more than likely toss me out once they run my credit report - which I plan on improving soon and very soon - I'm too young to have bad credit.

Anyway, I'm rambling - that means I'm excited and my thoughts are coming too fast. Course I could erase all that and just get to the point, but what fun would that be? Oh I can't wait to be your neighbor

Anyway, I was thinking of maybe staying in one of those extended day hotel type of things for two weeks or so, while I get my bearings and do a little apartment searching...can anyone reccomend some decent ones?

These are the primary areas I liked (online) and got some positive feedback from various postes: Bridgewater, Somerville, Piscataway.

You don't need the super wal-mart, Cvs and Walgreens are open 24hrs and have everything you mentioned as are some of the pathmarks and shoprites
Good hunting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey