Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,073 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit familiar with JC as I live in Union City, but could use other input. I'm considering a property in this area to buy low, rent out, hopefully the area developing in the future, and looking to sell in 8-10 years, unless property value increases substantially before then.

2 bedroom 1 bath condo, fairly modern, hoping to fetch at least $1,000 a mo. in rent (I think more shouldnt be a problem).

It is not too far from the light rail, I'm sure bus transportation to NYC is easy to grab, and its not far from Downtown JC. However, is this too far away from JC/Hoboken or "too dangerous" to attract young professionals working in that Hoboken/JC/NYC looking for a reasonably priced place?

Google maps of general area:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=600+B...07304&t=m&z=16

Any input on the area regarding demographics, and safety day/night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 AM

516 posts, read 1,006,361 times
Personally, I think it is too far from the light rail for most young professionals.

I've considered apartments in "lesser" areas of Jersey City (e.g. we've lived in Journal Square and looked around Society Hills, McGinley Square) because the rent is so much more affordable, but at the time, my husband and I only looked at apartments within 5-7 minute walk to light rail/PATH station. We weren't even interested in waiting at a bus stop.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, most people may only be willing to tolerate so much for cheaper... there are still a couple dead zones I won't consider. It's not that I'm stereotyping or trying start a flame war, it's just that if I'm twice or three times or however many times more likely to be mugged, accosted, stabbed, etc. walking home or to the store, is it worth $200, $400, or however much in rent savings?

Assuming the size of your condo is 800 sq ft, I wouldn't pay $1000 to rent there when I can get an apartment of similar size on JFK (say by Glenwood Ave) for $1200. 8-10 years may be much too short of a time horizon for a good return.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Personally, I think it is too far from the light rail for most young professionals.

I've considered apartments in "lesser" areas of Jersey City (e.g. we've lived in Journal Square and looked around Society Hills, McGinley Square) because the rent is so much more affordable, but at the time, my husband and I only looked at apartments within 5-7 minute walk to light rail/PATH station. We weren't even interested in waiting at a bus stop.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, most people may only be willing to tolerate so much for cheaper... there are still a couple dead zones I won't consider. It's not that I'm stereotyping or trying start a flame war, it's just that if I'm twice or three times or however many times more likely to be mugged, accosted, stabbed, etc. walking home or to the store, is it worth $200, $400, or however much in rent savings?

Assuming the size of your condo is 800 sq ft, I wouldn't pay $1000 to rent there when I can get an apartment of similar size on JFK (say by Glenwood Ave) for $1200. 8-10 years may be much too short of a time horizon for a good return.

Great thanks for the input. The condo in question is about 850sf. Sounds like I'll have to certainly do more research.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM

551 posts, read 1,189,057 times
Anything near Bramhall Ave is UNSAFE !!! beware

Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
That is semi war zone area. Gangs ALL OVER. One suggestion DON'T. Take it from someone that patrolled that area for over 30 years.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 PM

12 posts, read 18,217 times
In regards to this, I am looking to move to a single family house by williams avenue, 64 or 68 Williams Avenue I believe, not 100% sure, how is that area there. It is close to the area mentioned in the thread, but far enough that it may cause a difference of opinion, let me know, thanks!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 PM

516 posts, read 1,006,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage146 View Post
In regards to this, I am looking to move to a single family house by williams avenue, 64 or 68 Williams Avenue I believe, not 100% sure, how is that area there. It is close to the area mentioned in the thread, but far enough that it may cause a difference of opinion, let me know, thanks!
There are areas of Jersey City that are hit or miss... safety change block by block and residents can give color on individual blocks. However, the rule of thumb is that south of Communipaw is no man's land. Esp. at night. I think between Montgomery and Communipaw is an area that has some okay streets and mostly bad streets that locals can advise you better, but south of Communipaw... I've never heard of a decent street there.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM

12 posts, read 18,217 times
Im not sure if the address I gave is North or South of Communipaw to be honest.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,318,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage146 View Post
Im not sure if the address I gave is North or South of Communipaw to be honest.
It's south of Communipaw. Generally the rule MrsPiggleWiggle gave is true, but with a few exceptions. I've walked around that area of Williams Street during the daytime many times and it feels pretty safe to me. In my experience, south of Communipaw, the area west of West Side Avenue and east of Route 440 is pretty quiet relative to areas east of JFK Blvd. You should check it out at different times of day and night to see if it feels like a safe area to you, though. I'm not sure if the character of the place changes at night.

IMO It's not the best area of Jersey City, but it's not the worst either.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,318,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I'm a bit familiar with JC as I live in Union City, but could use other input. I'm considering a property in this area to buy low, rent out, hopefully the area developing in the future, and looking to sell in 8-10 years, unless property value increases substantially before then.

2 bedroom 1 bath condo, fairly modern, hoping to fetch at least $1,000 a mo. in rent (I think more shouldnt be a problem).

It is not too far from the light rail, I'm sure bus transportation to NYC is easy to grab, and its not far from Downtown JC. However, is this too far away from JC/Hoboken or "too dangerous" to attract young professionals working in that Hoboken/JC/NYC looking for a reasonably priced place?

Google maps of general area:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=600+B...07304&t=m&z=16

Any input on the area regarding demographics, and safety day/night.
I think it might be too dangerous to attract the type of renter you're looking for. This is one of the most notoriously dangerous parts of Jersey City. You might catch a dumb/naive person moving out from the city who hasn't done their research, but anyone familiar with the area will avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey