Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,988,187 times

Advertisements

I work in Manhattan and I am looking for a decent neighborhood to live in. I can't afford to live too close to NYC because it is very expensive. I currently live in Hackensack with my family and I am looking to move out.

I've even considered living a little further out..I don't know exactly where though. The maximum I will spend on rent is $900 per month.

My family doesn't want me to move to Jersey City or Newark for just starting out...and those are where the apartments I've looked at are located. They both were with roommates and very nice, but the neighborhood was, "meh".

I'm 27, a female, and I've never lived on my own in NJ (IDK if this matters). I'd like to live in an area like Montclair, I've had my eyes on that city for a while, but it's too pricey for me.

So, how far is too far to move outside of NYC? Is central jersey very far? How far would you commute to work in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM

127 posts, read 262,084 times
Don't go further than 10 mins past the Garden State Parkway heading from the City ----> West. Don't live much further South than Clark. Don't live much further north than Wayne

Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Don't go further than 10 mins past the Garden State Parkway heading from the City ----> West. Don't live much further South than Clark. Don't live much further north than Wayne
Where is Clark? What is their area code?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
if all you have for rent is $900 then you are better off living in nyc and taking on roommates. whats the point in a long commute into a sewer just to come away with enough money to not afford a decent place to live? i commute to nyc because it allows me to earn enough money to live in a nice place. im not going to commute into the filth and then also live in the filth. i may as well just live and work in the filth.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if all you have for rent is $900 then you are better off living in nyc and taking on roommates. whats the point in a long commute into a sewer just to come away with enough money to not afford a decent place to live? i commute to nyc because it allows me to earn enough money to live in a nice place. im not going to commute into the filth and then also live in the filth. i may as well just live and work in the filth.
I don't want to live in filth..which is why I am asking what cities farther outside of the metro area offer a better living based off of my income.

And I have to commute to the "filth" because I have to, not because I want to. With a little over a year of temporary experience, I'm taking what I can get for the time being. I make $45K and $2400K per month.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Where is Clark? What is their area code?
In the time it took you to type your questions....

Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
$900 is a pretty low rent for most areas of NJ.

Here are some apartments near Red Bank, which will be about a 90 minute - 2 hour commute, depending upon where in the city you work. $980 a month.

Shrewsbury Arms Apartments Apartments in Eatontown, NJ | Apartments.com

Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM

667 posts, read 1,745,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
$900 is a pretty low rent for most areas of NJ.

Here are some apartments near Red Bank, which will be about a 90 minute - 2 hour commute, depending upon where in the city you work. $980 a month.

Shrewsbury Arms Apartments Apartments in Eatontown, NJ | Apartments.com
2 hour commute is darn right crazy! Don't know how folks can manage 4 hrs sitting on a bus/train everyday. Just not worth it.

At OP, If you make $2400/month, you can likely afford to up that rent a bit to $1100, where I see some rentals available in Montclair? Female renters are always preferred by landlords so you may be able to negotiate down a bit? If you can find a roommate you'll probably find addtl options.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
2 hour commute is darn right crazy! Don't know how folks can manage 4 hrs sitting on a bus/train everyday. Just not worth it.

At OP, If you make $2400/month, you can likely afford to up that rent a bit to $1100, where I see some rentals available in Montclair? Female renters are always preferred by landlords so you may be able to negotiate down a bit? If you can find a roommate you'll probably find addtl options.
Montclair is a nice area for you. Not to far to cost you a bunch to get into the city. I hope your accounting for gas, toll, and parking charges.

I'd ride those streets slowly and look for rent signs. Even if you have to take something small to begin with it will feel good to be close to the city and be in a great spot.

Go into the coffee shop and look for posting for rentals. Pick up the local newspapers.
Put your heart into it. This might just work.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post

I may consider a roommate, but hopefully I get lucky and fine a gem. My friend rents an apartment in JC for $800 a month. It's small but decent..so I was hoping I could find something similar if I go a little further out.

Montclair has always been my preferred locale. Idk if I'd want to risk paying $1100 which is half of my monthly salary. I thought the ratio was only 30:100 percent for living? God forbid I lose my job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey