Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times

Advertisements

to be replaced by.... yet another CVS.

Legendary Pals Cabin in West Orange to close pending approval | NJ.com

Last edited by HalfFull; 03-21-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
I'm not sure if the owner is just cashing out, but is $200k in property taxes for a business of that nature on a property of that size normal? It seems a bit excessive to a layman such as myself.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:47 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Great memories of going to that place after school plays and dances!
They had the best grilled cheese sandwiches!
So sad to see it go!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
The quality of food at Pal's has gone downhill over the last few years. I live right down the street and never go there anymore. I ordered a chicken breast and it looked and tasted like something you would get at McDonald's, and it was $18! I know people think this place is a local landmark, but there is no point in keeping it around if the quality isn't what it used to be.

There are already 2 other CVS's within a mile of that location. I wonder if those will both stay open, or will they be moving the one on Eagle Rock to the new location?

Last edited by ansky; 03-21-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Man! Sorry to read that, but ansky is right. The food quality has hit the skids. Still, the place holds a lot of fond memories for my family and me. At least I have the recipe for the Cream of Mushroom soup!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM

747 posts, read 847,951 times
I just hate to see its going to be a CVS....surely someone could make that into a stellar restaurant with some renovations.

Food was terrible though

Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
food was ok when i went, the mushroom soup was excellent, but the steak i had was so-so. we were happy with our meal, but not enough that we've made a point to go back. it's just sad to see a business close and be replaced by another big chain. maybe different plans can arise?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
I can't confirm the #'s are real, valid, accurate, but these guys were in the business their entire lives. They owned over a dozen restaurants at one time. They're professionals. Regardless, it sounds like the economics are just not working any longer.

Moot discussion anyway. I used to like the burgers there, but that was a long time ago.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'm not sure if the owner is just cashing out, but is $200k in property taxes for a business of that nature on a property of that size normal? It seems a bit excessive to a layman such as myself.
A house assessed in the $500K range in WO will have property taxes of nearly $20K. There are $2 million mansions in WO with nearly $100K property taxes. Pal's Cabin is assessed at about $4.2 million. Knowing that then, the $200K in property taxes seems about right.

Despite that, though, they were still, according to the Star-Ledger articled linked in the OP, breaking even. Maybe if the property taxes weren't eating up so much of their profits, the owners would have been more inclined to stay. Of course, the current economy and unemployment certainly contributed to falling profits too.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
This really is a shame. I was sad, too, when I discovered that Mt. Fuji closed in WO a few years ago. Along with Pal's, that was another fond WO memory place for me. Growing up, both those places were "special occasion" restaurants...the restaurants your parents took you to after graduations, awards ceremonies, birthdays. I remember also when Don's closed in neighboring Livingston. Yet another sad day in west Essex restaurant history. (By the way, anyone know what opened up at the old Mt. Fuji & Don's sites?)

A place like Pal's Cabin, with its history and lore, is one of those landmarks that adds character to a town. I hate to see another chain store setting up there. It especially chaps my ass that it's ANOTHER CVS. If they want to open up another location on that corner, can't they do it in that Whole Foods strip mall? Isn't there empty space there?

A bit off topic, but also, I wonder would a CVS in Pal's spot be given a higher assessment, and therefore bring in even more than $200K in taxes for WO? The land is assessed at $2,423,300 and that probably wouldn't change, but Pal's Cabin itself is assessed at $1,798,400. (source: Property Detail) Would a new CVS building be assessed at higher than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey