Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 211,990 times

Advertisements

Hey guys-
I included the pictures of my fireplace for reference.
I would like to burn wood (way cheaper than my propane bill) and I'm reading online that some pre-fab gas fireplaces can burn wood as well.
Does anyone know if I can burn wood in this one, or maybe do a slight modification to do so??
My fireplace is brand "Marco" Model#: 792779D and they are out of business :-(
Thanks in advance!!
Senid
Attached Thumbnails
Can I convert my gas Fireplace to a wood burning one???-f1.jpg   Can I convert my gas Fireplace to a wood burning one???-f2.jpg   Can I convert my gas Fireplace to a wood burning one???-f3.jpg   Can I convert my gas Fireplace to a wood burning one???-f4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekifaca View Post
Hey guys-
I included the pictures of my fireplace for reference.
I would like to burn wood (way cheaper than my propane bill) and I'm reading online that some pre-fab gas fireplaces can burn wood as well.
Does anyone know if I can burn wood in this one, or maybe do a slight modification to do so??
My fireplace is brand "Marco" Model#: 792779D and they are out of business :-(
Thanks in advance!!
Senid
I would guess no for a number of reasons. Gas fireplaces are typically vented with what is known as "Class B" chimney, which is built to handle the lower flue gas temperatures of gas appliances like furnaces, water heaters, dryers, and fireplaces. Any solid fuel burning appliance (ie: wood or coal) is going to be putting out flue gases ranging from 500-700 degrees under normal operation. In the event of a chimney fire the vent pipe could see temperatures exceeding 1500 degrees, at which point the chase surrounding your chimney would be in danger of catching fire. Class A chimney is a double wall chimney built from heavy gauge stainless steel pack with a minimum of 1" of fiberglass insulation specifically for this reason. Class B chimney would fall apart under such temperatures. Is your intention to heat your home or simple ambiance? If you are looking to heat your home, considering removing the fireplace entirely (along with the Class B chimney) and installing a wood stove with proper Class A vent in it's place. At the same time, if the existing chimney chase is not insulated, insulate it and you will have excellent draft even in less than ideal conditions. Where did you read that some gas fireplaces can burn wood? I've heard of folks doing it the other way around and simply adding a burner to an old wood burning furnace, but never gas to wood. Gas fireplaces simply are not built to handle the temperatures that wood burning can produce.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM

My intention is SOLELY to get warm!!! I don't care about the looks. My propane bill this winter was on average $650 a month. I can't take that.
Do you know 'ballpark' how much would that new install cost?? I would love to do that...
Thank you so much.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
My intention is SOLELY to get warm!!! I don't care about the looks. My propane bill this winter was on average $650 a month. I can't take that.
Do you know 'ballpark' how much would that new install cost?? I would love to do that...
Thank you so much.
There are quite a few variables. Would you be looking to do the work yourself or contract it out? Wood stoves complete with chimney and installation can run anywhere from $4000-$5000 or substantially less if you do it yourself. There are a few good forums (without mentioning names) that cater to wood burners that have a wealth of information on the topic. These would be good places to ask questions regarding your particular situation and needs.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
How do you heat your house? Neither a gas or wood FIREPLACE will heat your house well compared to other more modern options. Surely your home has something else ?

Looking at it, it actually could be chimney pipe, but you'd have to have a pro look at it.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
There are quite a few variables. Would you be looking to do the work yourself or contract it out? Wood stoves complete with chimney and installation can run anywhere from $4000-$5000 or substantially less if you do it yourself. There are a few good forums (without mentioning names) that cater to wood burners that have a wealth of information on the topic. These would be good places to ask questions regarding your particular situation and needs.
Very doable, are you in a townhouse or is it a free standing house? they will have to run the stove pipe outside the chimney to do this they will cut a hole in the fireplace and connect the stove to the outside pipe....

I had one in Kentucky for 5 years and cried leaving it behind when I moved. House stayed around 78 degrees during winter. I burned about 4 cords for 5 months and it was around $170 a cord delivered, it will be more in Jersey....

Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I would LOVE to do the work myself but I do live in a Townhouse and I'm afraid my board will require a certified guy. There is not way I can afford 4-5K...

Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Very doable, are you in a townhouse or is it a free standing house? they will have to run the stove pipe outside the chimney to do this they will cut a hole in the fireplace and connect the stove to the outside pipe....

I had one in Kentucky for 5 years and cried leaving it behind when I moved. House stayed around 78 degrees during winter. I burned about 4 cords for 5 months and it was around $170 a cord delivered, it will be more in Jersey....
I live in a townhouse. I would LOVE to pay $170 a month for heat!! I'm paying $650 now for propane heating...

Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
How do you heat your house? Neither a gas or wood FIREPLACE will heat your house well compared to other more modern options. Surely your home has something else ?

Looking at it, it actually could be chimney pipe, but you'd have to have a pro look at it.
So, I have a propane furnace that is 16 years old. It is a Trane brand, Model 80 (I think it means %80 efficient). But leaving it on at 62 degrees during the day and 64-65 at night costs us $650 a month!! it is insane!
I wanted a profesional to come and inspect our chimney but they wanted $125 to come out and look. So I figured let me try the blog first. I thought maybe somebody had to go through this already and will know by just looking at the pics.
thanks.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I live in a townhouse. I would LOVE to pay $170 a month for heat!! I'm paying $650 now for propane heating...
Since you're in a townhouse I don't know if wood heating would work for you. I don't know the regulations about what you can and cannot do inside, but you would certainly need to check with the board. However, with wood heat, you need a place to store the wood. Four cords of wood would take up a space 16' long by 8' wide by 8' deep, and that's stacked EXTREMELY tight. Typically townhouses don't have that kind of space outside. Finally, I'm confused about your heating bill. I assume that the $650 figure is your combined propane use (furthermore-are you sure you have propane and not gas?) is for heat, hot water, and your dryer, correct? If so, you're not going to be able to eliminate it totally with a wood stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey