Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 28,661 times

Advertisements

My job will be relocated to Randolph, NJ and I am looking for some advice on where to live. I personally want to live in Randolph because I would not have to drive that much every day. But my wife likes Livingston better since she has friends there and the school is better in Livingston (according to school digger ranking). Can anyone tell me if the traffic is bad between those two towns? I would not want to drive more than 30 min every day to work. We have three kids, 5y, 3y, and 1y old. Which town is more kid friendly? Our budget is 500k for a house. I know that in both towns, I can find some house with that price range. I just want some feedback from people who have done commutes between Randolph and Livingston for work.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 01:32 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
I do the opposite commute and it takes about 35-40 minutes, but that is from eastern Randolph to western Livingston, so it could easily be worse depending on exact location. You'll be going against the worst of the traffic, so that will help a little.

I wouldn't depend 100% on any school rankings; I think both towns have strong schools... not top tier, but still quite good (and Randolph has one of the best music programs around). Randolph is very family friendly, with lots of activites and youth sports for kids. You'll get more house and bigger lot for your money in Randolph and taxes will be a little better (but no gargain!). Lots more open space, parks/trails in Randolph.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM

77 posts, read 376,212 times
My advice is for you to look for a house in Randolph. Livingston taxes are going up
5.7% for next year even with a 2% state cap (all legal too). Livingston is in Essex county,
whereas Randolph is in Morris county. Here in Livingston we always end up paying for Newark, Irvington, and East Orange fiscal problems. I have lived in livingston for 65 years, I have seen it at its best and that is not now. Keep your sanity with a short commute to work within the borders of Randolph.
Bill

Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM

550 posts, read 965,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
My advice is for you to look for a house in Randolph. Livingston taxes are going up
5.7% for next year even with a 2% state cap (all legal too). Livingston is in Essex county,
whereas Randolph is in Morris county. Here in Livingston we always end up paying for Newark, Irvington, and East Orange fiscal problems. I have lived in livingston for 65 years, I have seen it at its best and that is not now. Keep your sanity with a short commute to work within the borders of Randolph.
Bill
Wow and to think that we just bought our home in Livingston...that's discouraging, especially after hearing so many nice things about the town.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
Bill
Is that increase municipal, school or overall?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,709 times
Both are affluent towns with excellent schools. Personally, I would pick Randolph. I like Livingston very much, but I think Randolph is in a prettier area.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorniana View Post
My job will be relocated to Randolph, NJ and I am looking for some advice on where to live. I personally want to live in Randolph because I would not have to drive that much every day. But my wife likes Livingston better since she has friends there and the school is better in Livingston (according to school digger ranking). Can anyone tell me if the traffic is bad between those two towns? I would not want to drive more than 30 min every day to work. We have three kids, 5y, 3y, and 1y old. Which town is more kid friendly? Our budget is 500k for a house. I know that in both towns, I can find some house with that price range. I just want some feedback from people who have done commutes between Randolph and Livingston for work.
Thanks!

There are several differences between the towns. Livingston is more densely populated, and the vibe is much more "aggressive" for lack of a better term. While the Livingston schools are ranked well on the NJ monthly report, it is well known that the schools have a high pressure environment, definitely outright openly aggressive and competitive. Some kids thrive in that time of environment, while for others it is a nightmare. Neither town has what one would call a "bad part of town", but due to its proximity to Newark and having 280 run through town, there is more crime in Livingston...that being said, it is more car thefts, car break-ins and home break-ins rather than violent crime or muggings. I would not consider Livingston "dangerous" by any means. (but I definitely think a good home security system is a must!) Another thing to think about is the difference in taxes...a 500K home in Livingston will run you 14K a year in taxes. While in Randolph the taxes on a 500K home will be between 10K and 11K, depending on how much land you have. Randolph has more recreational opportunities - loads of parks and a very active recreation department.

While Livingston is a nice town with plenty going for it, all things considered, given you particular circumstances, it really is an easy choice, Randolph hands down. No long commute, (and commuting on Rt 10 is a real PITA, depending on where within Randolph your office is and where in Livingston your home is, the commute will take you 40/45 min or more during rush) more house for the $, less property taxes, great schools (the difference between Livingston's rankings and Randolph's is pretty small and inconsequential) less crime in Randolph, you car insurance will be less in Morris Co, than in Essex (homeowners ins. too)

KoalaNJ

Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 PM

25 posts, read 57,260 times
Both are great towns. Livingston as said is Essex County and high taxes but they do have a nice downtown sector, great schools, and great commuter location. Randolph is also a great town, great schools, but many areas of Randolph have septic systems, well water. Nothing wrong with it but it's more a preference thing. Plus you'll probably get a bigger house in Randolph for the same money as you would in Livingston.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvintastic View Post
Both are great towns. Livingston as said is Essex County and high taxes but they do have a nice downtown sector, great schools, and great commuter location. Randolph is also a great town, great schools, but many areas of Randolph have septic systems, well water. Nothing wrong with it but it's more a preference thing. Plus you'll probably get a bigger house in Randolph for the same money as you would in Livingston.
Actually while there are some homes on septics, most homes are on municipal water and quite a few are on sewers. So preference for city water and sewer does not rule out Randolph at all, only some homes within the town.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorniana View Post
Thanks!

From Livingston to Whippany: <25 minutes via Route 10.
From Whippany to Livingston: 30 minutes tops (slightly more traffic on Route 10 in the evenings going back home).

From Livingston to Morristown downtown: <30 minutes via Columbia Turnpike.
From Morristown downtown to Livingston: <30 minutes via Columbia Turnpike.

From Livingston to Morristown (right near the Randolph border): 35-ish minutes, via Columbia Turnpike.
From Morristown near Randolph border to Livingston: 35-ish minutes, via Columbia Turnpike.

From West Orange to Morristown (right near the Randolph border): 40-ish minutes, via Columbia Turnpike.
From Morristown near Randolph border to West Orange: 40-ish minutes, via Columbia Turnpike.

I really, actually did these commutes, and am not merely guesstimating about the times or the experience. Also, these are all during normal rush hours (in office by 9 AM, out by 5 or 6 PM).

The times I listed are from driving the speed limit or a reasonable speed. (If you speed, you can make it in less time. But don't speed. And wear your seat belt. Just ask johnfrisco about this.)

General notes:

It's a cakewalk commute. You're on local highways and local roads the whole time. Beats the hell out of commuting into NYC, taking public transportation or having to commute on a major highway and deal with tolls. If people think commuting on Route 10 is so painful, I don't know how they get through life in NJ in general.

Route 10 has slightly more traffic going from West to East in the evenings.
Columbia Turnpike has slightly more traffic going from East to West in the evenings.
Either way, if one gets backed up, just cut on over to the other. That's the other thing that makes this an easy commute--lots of possible detours.

Bonus: You pass a bunch of strip malls, stores and food places both on Route 10 and Columbia Turnpike, so it's easy to do some quick shopping/picking up dinner before you get home, without having to go out of your way.

As far as the SCHOOL SYSTEMS go, I went through the Livingston school system, so I am biased when I say it is great. I did not find it to be a high pressure environment. Again, I actually went through the school system and am talking from actual experience. It also was NOT an openly aggressive or hostile environment, and we're taking about in the '80s and '90s before all the warm & fuzzy, feel good policies and anti bullying philosophies were in place. Can't HONESTLY say that it's better than Randolph's, though, because I don't know anything about Randolph's school system.

As far as CRIME goes, it is a non issue. Don't listen to the scare tactic that it's "near Newark" or 280. I lived in Livingston for 25+ years and never had an issue. As far as the car thefts go, it's from naive residents who routinely leave their cars unlocked and/or the engine running not only in their own driveways, but in store parking lots. We can debate whether the cars were actually stolen, or whether they were voluntarily donated.

As far as PROPERTY TAXES go, Livingston actually has a lower effective tax rate than Randolph. In 2012, Livingston had an effective tax rate of 2.139%. In 2012, Randolph had an effective tax rate of 2.244%. SURPRISE, Morris County and Essex County people!

However, you will more than likely get more house (and land, i.e. a bigger yard) in Randolph than in Livingston.

And as mentioned, Randolph has more open space and trails. I think it has a more rural feel to it than Livingston, which has been described as a "bedroom community".

But the thing I like about Livingston is the proximity to NYC and easy access to the Turnpike and GSP. Randolph is too out in the boonies for me. But that's exactly what other people like about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey