Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM

250 posts, read 1,112,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
Thats why people are moving to PA....

If you move to PA and still work in NJ, do you have to pay state income tax for both states??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM

197 posts, read 798,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
If you move to PA and still work in NJ, do you have to pay state income tax for both states??
No. If you live in PA and work in NJ you pay a 3.2 percent income tax to PA, you don't pay NJ income tax. Also certain towns in PA require you to pay a wage tax (1%.) The catch is that in NJ, the state income tax is tiered, the more you make the more they can tax you. You could make 150k/yr. in NJ and be taxed at 9 percent, where as in PA the state income tax is fixed at 3.2%. In the long run as people earn more and more in their respective careers, where would you rather live?

Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
No. If you live in PA and work in NJ you pay a 3.2 percent income tax to PA, you don't pay NJ income tax. Also certain towns in PA require you to pay a wage tax (1%.) The catch is that in NJ, the state income tax is tiered, the more you make the more they can tax you. You could make 150k/yr. in NJ and be taxed at 9 percent, where as in PA the state income tax is fixed at 3.2%. In the long run as people earn more and more in their respective careers, where would you rather live?

Sam: I hope you haven't been doing this, since I'm pretty sure that's incorrect information. I'm an accountant in MA, but the law should be the same in PA/NJ too. If you live in a state that has lower income taxes than the state you work in, then you pay your state's taxes first, then you pay any leftovers to the state you work in. So in your case, you will pay 3.2% to PA and 5.8% to NJ.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Sam: I hope you haven't been doing this, since I'm pretty sure that's incorrect information. I'm an accountant in MA, but the law should be the same in PA/NJ too. If you live in a state that has lower income taxes than the state you work in, then you pay your state's taxes first, then you pay any leftovers to the state you work in. So in your case, you will pay 3.2% to PA and 5.8% to NJ.
That's the way it works for everyone who lives in NJ and works in NY, and I believe it's the same with PA and NJ.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:12 AM

250 posts, read 1,112,996 times
I thought what Sam had said sounded too good to be true.

So then does the NJ state tax come out of your pay check and the PA state tax paid at tax time?? How does it work?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:12 AM

299 posts, read 1,333,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
I believe if you live in Pa & work in NJ you would have to pay NJ income tax but it would be credited towards your Pa taxes. To be sure ask an accountant

Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 PM

197 posts, read 798,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
I believe if you live in Pa & work in NJ you would have to pay NJ income tax but it would be credited towards your Pa taxes. To be sure ask an accountant
check out this link this should clear up any tax questions....

State of New Jersey Division of Taxation (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/index.html?njit25.htm~mainFrame - broken link)

Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 PM

15 posts, read 122,482 times
My husband and i are just starting out and CAN NOT afford anything...we're moving to colorado

Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 PM

15 posts, read 122,482 times
my husband and i CAN NOT afford anything in NJ it's absurd we're just starting out and i can't even afford to buy a house for my dog! especially in north jersey...we're moving to colorado

Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquiz View Post
My husband and i are just starting out and CAN NOT afford anything...we're moving to colorado
you are quite the silly one, eh?
in the prior thread you advocate the state spending hundreds of millions for research that the private sector should be funding and here you're complianing about how expensive NJ is.
If all the dolts would stop expecting government to fund your lives, maybe NJ wouldn't be such an expensive place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey