Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 AM

197 posts, read 798,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquiz View Post
My husband and i are just starting out and CAN NOT afford anything...we're moving to colorado
Your making the right move. It can't be any worse then here. My buddy's brother just moved to Florida, he's been contemplating this for like 4 yrs. Finally had enough and made the exodus just like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:54 AM

197 posts, read 798,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you are quite the silly one, eh?
in the prior thread you advocate the state spending hundreds of millions for research that the private sector should be funding and here you're complianing about how expensive NJ is.
If all the dolts would stop expecting government to fund your lives, maybe NJ wouldn't be such an expensive place to live
I can't see why corporations would want to come here. Didn't they already start leaving? Now were going to coax them to come back because NJ is the supreme being on Stem Cell Research. I highly doubt this. Thats like all the CA tech companies in Silicon Valley leaving the state because of a promise of no more earthquakes or forest fires. It's a pipe dream!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

250 posts, read 1,112,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
check out this link this should clear up any tax questions....

State of New Jersey Division of Taxation (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/index.html?njit25.htm~mainFrame - broken link)

thanks for the link...

Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
I can't see why corporations would want to come here. Didn't they already start leaving? Now were going to coax them to come back because NJ is the supreme being on Stem Cell Research. I highly doubt this. Thats like all the CA tech companies in Silicon Valley leaving the state because of a promise of no more earthquakes or forest fires. It's a pipe dream!
It's funny -- people from Jersey talk like people from Mass (about leaving the state, not the accents). MA is touting their supreme stem cell research facilities too to try and lure biotech companies into the area. All those liberal states are the same.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:45 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
This state doesn't even care what the voters say. They started building the stem cell facilities BEFORE we had the chance to vote on the public question.

NJ to begin building stem cell research facility (phillyBurbs.com) | Health, medical (http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-10232007-1428048.html - broken link)

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 46,274 times
Smile NJ is essentially part of NYC

I'm going to rant now. Hopefully someone would see some of my points.

I live in NJ for over 20yrs and say the property tax burden is a touchy subject. 6k is reasonable, but +10k is crazy now. It's gone overboard now. I would conclude, for the amount spent on public services, we're not getting our money's worth. Too many high paid teachers/cops etc, but then again middle class incomes in North Jersey are high so it's obvious parents want the best for their children at affordable cost. We have to compete with NYC and globally. Where there are some households (both parents work) making 100k/yr, there's going to be higher taxes and spending.

It's not the homeowners that vote DEMS it's the minority low income population where they vote DEMs (which out number Reps like a colony of ants). NJ like NYC is becoming a place where the income divide is the largest. Unfortunately the low income people who live in the ghetto neighborhoods still vote DEMs because they think it's better to get services (like good schools) because it doesn't come out of their pockets. I went through NJ school system and would say it's top-notch, but have seen the minority folks (not to stereotype but... blacks/hispanics) not take advantage of the school system to once again live in low income status. Thus, another generation votes dems again. They continue to not take higher education seriously and thus are unable to look for better job opportunities. If they were educated and saved/invest up for a house instead of wasting their money on dvds/mcdonalds, they would take on the tax burden. I am a college educated Asian and was fortunate to have gotten NJ education 10yrs ago and currently live with my retired mom to pay the property taxes.

I've done alright for myself working in NYC as a programmer and save money instead of buying up the range rover or mercedes my neighbors who moved in and overpaid for their houses. I know that if you show you have a lot of money, local governments will re-assess your houses higher. I still drive a beat up honda. I really wish people just lived within their means even though they earn a lot. It's like playing poker, don't show what you have.

I don't measure stuff in dollars anymore, but in cost of living as it will continue to rise. Any salary I ask just tack on 10k and say NJ property taxes must be covered and HR people will understand. Just remember if you work for corporate, ask for what you want! Make sure you calculate what you need and do studies of what you're worth in the market.

I keep an eye on the housing prices here and at the end of 2007, it's falling. Obviously, everyone isn't a stockbroker or doctor. The $1million home that is on my block has had a for sale sign for several months now.

I would conclude NJ is a great place for education, but not a great place to live in the long term unless you are doing well for yourself financially. I would say there's more job opportunities in technology.

Now only if I could strike it rich like Buffet.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 16,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
This state doesn't even care what the voters say. They started building the stem cell facilities BEFORE we had the chance to vote on the public question.

NJ to begin building stem cell research facility (phillyBurbs.com) | Health, medical (http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-10232007-1428048.html - broken link)

NJ.com: Everything Jersey
NJ is one of the most corrupt states...

Old 11-15-2007, 04:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Corzine on Channel7 news telling us again they have to raise taxes on gas and tolls. Has anyone ever seem him on the news saying that he is going to cut ANTHING. Hes getting ready for reelection in 2009 and guess what the majority in this state don't care and will still vote for him.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Corzine on Channel7 news telling us again they have to raise taxes on gas and tolls. Has anyone ever seem him on the news saying that he is going to cut ANTHING. Hes getting ready for reelection in 2009 and guess what the majority in this state don't care and will still vote for him.
Of course he's going to cut something...our income.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 AM

432 posts, read 1,879,465 times
Here in Bergen County it is not the urban low income people voting in the "DEMS". There's plenty of rich white liberals here who support the machine (and probably benefit from it by getting contracts for their businesses).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey