Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,201 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Newark and we're looking for some guidance for good towns in commuting distance. We would like to keep his commute at or below 45 minutes, though he's willing to go farther for a great fit. I would prefer a more suburban/rural-ish feel though I know that would push the commute. He has family in the Freehold area. We have two elementary, almost middle school aged kids, and are expecting another later this year. We want to buy a house, it will be our first home purchase. Our budget is a little on the low side for housing, so I'm hoping to get the most for our money, but realize this may be our "starter house"

Where are you coming from? SW Florida
Why are you moving? Job, to be near family
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Newark

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? $250 - 300k
What kind of place are you looking for ? Single family home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Husband, 2 children (soon to be 3), 3 cats
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
We need a safe area with decent schools. I prefer a more suburban or rural area.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Safety, Schools, Proximity to Newark.

Last edited by hmm_18; 05-06-2013 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: formatting fail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Oh, just to add, commute can be done by either car or train, don't know which would be best or easiest right now.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 PM

131 posts, read 273,994 times
Hmm, thinking Morris County might be a place for you to be looking for a house. I know that's a broad range, but it has a very nice suburban feel with houses spread out and there are some in your price range. You just have to be wary of flood zones....someone from Morris County on here can chime in more. That price is just tough to find for a nice area near Newark....

Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
morris county could be good, but for more rural, you may need to move beyond 45 minutes. however, long hill township could be a good idea, but it is probably a bit too expensive. hunterdon county could be a good fit. i looked at high bridge, which has a small downtown, is semi rural, and is near ken lockwood gorge, a large park. plus, the town of clinton, which is nice is nearby. according to trulia, high bridge has many houses for around 100k to 200k. voorhees high is ranked in the state's top 50. the drive to newark is 45 min without traffic, and train from high bridge to newark is 1 hour 20 min.

whitehouse station/readington seems like a really good area for you. while it is mostly rural, it has several shopping plazas, a small downtown and is close to malls. there are many houses in your range, like 67 Old Highway 28, Whitehouse Station NJ - Trulia. the drive is 40 minutes without traffic, and by train from the whitehouse station, 1 hour.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! I know the price range would be a challenge. I am trying to manage my expectations accordingly. I've found some nice places in Morris County, and will look into the school ratings there. I'm not sure if my husband is willing to push his commute to 1h20m, but we will discuss.

Any thoughts on Somerset County? Are there any towns to avoid looking at there? I ask because my husband's new job will be very close to Penn Station in Newark and provides a shuttle from there, it looks like the Northeast Corridor Line would be another option for him.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM

somerset county could be a good idea, however, a lot of it is very pricey. you could look at bridgewater, somerset county, which has good schools, some rural areas, a large mall, costco, wegmans and more. there is a train from bridgewater to newark penn which is around 50 minutes. i found these houses for sale there in your range: 626 Desota Drive, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia and 273 Old York Road, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia and 99 Oak Street, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia and 187 Foothill Road, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia. some are walking distance from raritan station and some from bridgewater.

does the employer give a shuttle to broad street station? some do, i know prudential does. if not, fyi, your monthly train pass includes free light rail (subway) which runs in newark. anyway, chester, morris county seems like a good fit. you can either drive to newark, 45 min no traffic, or drive to morristown or gladstone and take the train. it is a quaint country town with good schools. you can get more for your money. homes i found include this nice house 57 State Route 24, Chester NJ - Trulia by the cooper mill (a local landmark).

you could also look in denville, which is a train to newark broad at two stations, mt tabor and denville and good schools, and a nice downtown. the drive is 30 minutes no traffic, and the train is 45 minutes. there are a good amount of homes in your range, like 70 Claude Avenue, Denville NJ - Trulia and 48 Snyder Avenue, Denville NJ - Trulia and 18 Riverside Drive, Denville NJ - Trulia and 74 Upper Rainbow Trail, Denville NJ - Trulia.

a few other ideas. lincoln park has many homes within your range. kids go to boonton for high school. trains from here to broad street newark. many homes in your range, like 140 De Hart Street, Lincoln Park NJ - Trulia and 7 Park Avenue, Lincoln Park NJ - Trulia and 16 Birch Street, Lincoln Park NJ - Trulia.

you might find something in long hill, which goes to wathcung hills for high school, a good school. i found this 1368 Valley Road, Stirling NJ - Trulia. train to newark broad is 35 minutes. long hill has 3 stations in millington,gillete and stirling sections.

looking southward, since you have family in freehold, look in the princeton area. train on the nec line is around an hour though. i found this house in somerset county near princeton 32 Lincoln Avenue, Princeton NJ - Trulia but you would have to drive.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM

somerset county could be a good idea, however, a lot of it is very pricey. you could look at bridgewater, somerset county, which has good schools, some rural areas, a large mall, costco, wegmans and more. there is a train from bridgewater to newark penn which is around 50 minutes. i found these houses for sale there in your range: 626 Desota Drive, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia and 273 Old York Road, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia and 99 Oak Street, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia and 187 Foothill Road, Bridgewater NJ - Trulia. some are walking distance from raritan station and some from bridgewater.

does the employer give a shuttle to broad street station? some do, i know prudential does. if not, fyi, your monthly train pass includes free light rail (subway) which runs in newark. anyway, chester, morris county seems like a good fit. you can either drive to newark, 45 min no traffic, or drive to morristown or gladstone and take the train. it is a quaint country town with good schools. you can get more for your money. homes i found include this nice house 57 State Route 24, Chester NJ - Trulia by the cooper mill (a local landmark).

you could also look in denville, which is a train to newark broad at two stations, mt tabor and denville and good schools, and a nice downtown. the drive is 30 minutes no traffic, and the train is 45 minutes. there are a good amount of homes in your range, like 70 Claude Avenue, Denville NJ - Trulia and 48 Snyder Avenue, Denville NJ - Trulia and 18 Riverside Drive, Denville NJ - Trulia and 74 Upper Rainbow Trail, Denville NJ - Trulia.

a few other ideas. lincoln park has many homes within your range. kids go to boonton for high school. trains from here to broad street newark. many homes in your range, like 140 De Hart Street, Lincoln Park NJ - Trulia and 7 Park Avenue, Lincoln Park NJ - Trulia and 16 Birch Street, Lincoln Park NJ - Trulia.

you might find something in long hill, which goes to wathcung hills for high school, a good school. i found this 1368 Valley Road, Stirling NJ - Trulia. train to newark broad is 35 minutes. long hill has 3 stations in millington,gillete and stirling sections.

looking southward, since you have family in freehold, look in the princeton area. train on the nec line is around an hour though. i found this house in somerset county near princeton 32 Lincoln Avenue, Princeton NJ - Trulia but you would have to drive.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
With a budget of 250 - 300K you could probably find a decent house in West Orange. WO is much more suburban than rural though. Taxes will be a little higher than Morris county but you can usually get more house for the money. Schools are decent and the commute to Newark is only about 10-15 minutes.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 PM

west orange is near newark, where they are working, and fits in that range, but has no rural element what so ever. taxes are insane too.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
For my 2 cents I would say look around parts of Morris County, the more rural townships along I-80, Boonton, Denville, Rockaway, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey