Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

I recieved a speeding ticket in NY the other day. about 5 years ago I also got a speeding ticket in NY. Back then i just paid the fine and it resulted in no points on my license or any issues at all other then me paying the fine.

Is this still the same scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
It may have changed since then. It's the Driver's License Compact. New York has weird laws on it. You may want to google.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:34 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
NJ is now part of the 45 State allegiance, that if you get tickets in that state you will get points on your NJ licence. TN is on of the 5 states that is not in this pact, so if I speed in NJ, NO points!

Diane G

Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
I dont know how you avoided it 5 years ago. NY hass been part of the group for a very long time.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM

52 posts, read 130,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I recieved a speeding ticket in NY the other day. about 5 years ago I also got a speeding ticket in NY. Back then i just paid the fine and it resulted in no points on my license or any issues at all other then me paying the fine.

Nope, if you hold a NJ license and committed a moving violation in NY you will get 2 points on your NJ record:

39:5D–4 Moving violation committed out-of-state 2

From link here:
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

"Violations committed in other states

Even though you are a New Jersey driver, you can still acquire points and penalties for violations committed in other states. New Jersey is a member of two compacts that enforce this policy.

The Driver License Compact
  • Consists of 45 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin
  • Members in this compact exchange all violation information. Out-of-state moving violations are worth two points. For example, if you receive a speeding ticket in Florida, you will get two points on your New Jersey driving record for that violation

The Nonresident Violator Compact
  • Consists of 44 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin
  • Assures nonresident motorists the same rights and privileges as residents
  • Nonresident drivers have due process protection and cannot be detained out-of-state
  • Requires drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state
  • Does not apply to parking or standing violations, highway weight limit violations and violations of Hazmat transportation laws"
From link here:
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Now for the fun part: If you hold a NY license and committed a moving violation in NJ, you get absolutely ZERO points on your NY record. Makes sense huh

"Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

From link here:
NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points - broken link)

There goes the idea of reciprocity??

Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 AM

174 posts, read 622,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

On the reverse side of your ticket there is an outline of when they take the points of your license and after how many offenses.

2 years ago I had few red lights tickets for which I paid 50 bucks. Today the same offense results in 200 fine plus points after a 3 red light ticket. Bloomberg is out of his mind.

Last week I got a ticket for no left turn which offense costs 40 bucks. You know what I paid? 125.00, the rest is a service charge!
The cop said thank the city you live in. nice right?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM

228 posts, read 1,205,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro257 View Post
On the reverse side of your ticket there is an outline of when they take the points of your license and after how many offenses.

2 years ago I had few red lights tickets for which I paid 50 bucks. Today the same offense results in 200 fine plus points after a 3 red light ticket. Bloomberg is out of his mind.

Last week I got a ticket for no left turn which offense costs 40 bucks. You know what I paid? 125.00, the rest is a service charge!
The cop said thank the city you live in. nice right?
Come to NJ, then you'll see how expensive tickets can really be.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
You don't necessarily have to worry about that State Alliance thing. I have a NJ license and over the years have received two speeding tickets, both of them in states that are supposedly part of the Alliance. Neither of them resulted in points on my license. In fact, my auto insurance has actually dropped since then. Someone at Geico told me it depends on the judgement of the jurisdiction where you go the ticket. I guess depending on how serious the offense is will determine if you get points. The bottom line is, points are not necessarily automatic.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:51 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Sometimes the points will make it through, sometimes they won't. In addition, just because there are points on your license does not mean your insurance will be affected. Many times, insurance companies only review driving records if you change your policy or have some type of claim. With so many degrees of separation, out-of-state tickets aren't something I would worry too much over.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
That's real nervy of a lawless state like NY issuing tickets for exceeding the suggested velocity to someone from NJ who actually knows how to drive.
You could try explaing that you where not moving at all, you where standing in one place and the earth was revolving beneath you.
You could also try claiming diplomatic immunity being from the USA and NJ in particular.

99.9% of the time its all about the $money$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey