Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a possible move to NY, working right down near Battery Park. Budget about $1M, great public schools Elementary thru HS are essential and we don't mind a little diversity.

In NJ I'm thinking Summit, maybe Maplewood, Montclaire looks a bit far.

In Westchester I'm thinking Mamaroneck, Eastchester, Larchmont and maybe Scarsdale.

Any difference in commute I need to know about? Looks like a wash on paper, but one goes to Grand Central and the other to Penn Station. Does it matter?

Any other suggested towns welcome. I'm hoping to keep door to door commute as close to an hour as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 05:49 PM

328 posts, read 682,456 times
Not quite right. I traveled from NJ -near Princeton area for over 10 years, and took a bus that went directly to Wall Street. Since it was an express from the point I got on it, first stop was Wall St area. Much better than going to Penn or GC, both which will cost you an extra 15 or 20 minutes of travel time. Bus I feel is safer, healthier (less people passing through), and on average quicker for me. The Princeton School system, and a few neighboring school systems are rated best in the State (and among best in country). No matter where you go, check out the direct bus links to Wall St area.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:13 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
in nj, i'd look at millburn/short hills, or summit, many options for 1 million and great public schools in each. millburn (and its wealthy short hills neighborhood) are east of summit. summit has a nicer downtown, and millburn is known for having better schools. millburn has a trader joes, kings supermarket, and a shoprite. summit has a small kings supermarket. to get to the financial district from both (they are both on the same train line), take the train to penn station (around 45-50 min from millburn, add on 3 from short hills neighborhood, add on 6 from summit) and then take the subway downtown, around 10 minutes. maplewood also has options in your range, shorter commute, though schools are not as good.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 PM

131 posts, read 274,127 times
What about Pelham in NY? Or Pelham Manor? The houses are older but I think they are in your price range. Not sure about diversity in Pelham though. My friend just bought a house there....

Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
maplewood and south orange and montclair are very diverse and summit and millburn are somewhat diverse.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 AM

Thank you all for the info, Millburn looks out of our price range although Summit looks like a contender. Are there any other areas of NJ with good schools that fit the budget? I'd like to keep the commute as close to an hour as possible.

Last edited by ToyYot; 05-20-2013 at 04:48 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times
I'll voice my expeirence using the MTA from white plains and NJ transit from New brunswick (direct line). from white plains i could usually catch the 20 minute express trains into grand central and from there connect to almost anywhere in manhattan easily. MTA train was almost always ontime and never had the stopping on tracks/delays/cancelations that nj transit seems to have nearly everyday. Grand Central is a beautiful palace compared to penn station, i say this because you will spend a good amount of time in the one you choose and penn station takes its toll on you and could be quite depressing. also, there is the double tax you would have living in NJ while working in NYC, given your budget i suppose you know this already and have a good grasp on finances enough to make a decision either way.

overal, commute wise, i'd choose westchester but i enjoy living in the burbs of NJ better.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Thank you all for the info, Millburn looks out of our price range although Summit looks like a contender. Are there any other areas of NJ with good schools that fit the budget? I'd like to keep the commute as close to an hour as possible.
Summit is a great town. I would check out Short Hills as well, Westfield is another great town, and Montclair. Anything further west and the commute will start to get long. NJT is a $hit show, just so you're aware. NJT shares the tracks to Penn with Amtrak and Amtrak has priority so NJT is often delayed or broken down. I took NJT for four years from Morristown, NJ. I despise NJT. Also, Penn Station is a dump.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
If you're working in the financial district, is there a reason you aren't considering trains on the lines that go to Hoboken and then taking the PATH or Ferry across the creek? It seems much more direct than going into Penn and then getting a subway to finish your journey, plus you miss out on the Penn Station tracks/signals/tunnel drama. Ridgewood or Allendale would fit your other requirements, too.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 AM

The ferry suggestion was great, thanks. My office would be a 5 min walk from Pier 11. I assume the transfer from train to ferry at Hoboken would be painless?

Also, the ferry has brought up Rumson/Fairhaven as a very interesting proposition! Direct to Pier 11!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey