Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 AM

16 posts, read 28,458 times

Advertisements

I know, I know...but it is not for me...it is for an exchange student from Alaska who is coming to my house in 2 weeks and SHE really wants to go buy something from there. We have already told her the lines are long and she will not get to meet him. She is OK with that...she said if the lines were way too long she would skip it...but I feel since she is coming all the way here and it is something she really wants to do...I will try.
So I am asking for advice...any hints on how to make this a quick trip so we can go off and do more exciting things for the day..
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Here's a link to the Ridgewood store...never crowded. Carlo's Bake Shop - Cake Boss - Ridgewood, NJ

Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
I was also going to suggest ridgewood. if it's just to sample the food (which is mostly awful, but i get it)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Have them go Friday after work. I was just walking by there 2 weeks ago. Not one person in line. Saturday...fugettaboutit.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
I know, I know...but it is not for me...it is for an exchange student from Alaska who is coming to my house in 2 weeks and SHE really wants to go buy something from there. We have already told her the lines are long and she will not get to meet him. She is OK with that...she said if the lines were way too long she would skip it...but I feel since she is coming all the way here and it is something she really wants to do...I will try.
So I am asking for advice...any hints on how to make this a quick trip so we can go off and do more exciting things for the day..
Thanks!

I get it, I also had to take a visiting friend there Although the new Ridgewood store is less busy, a big part of what your visitor is looking for is going to the actual store and location that is featured on the show, so get them to Hoboken. Since parking is a nightmare in Hoboken, take the train. The bakery is a short walk (~3 blocks) from the station. I recommend going in if at all possible mid day during the week...there will be little or no line at the store. We went after AM rush but before lunchtime, and there were only a handful of customers there. We were waited on about a min after walking into the place. Once you visit the shop, you can easily get to NYC...I am certain there are a few iconic places in the city your guest will be thrilled to see. Simply walk back over to the station and hop on a PATH train into the city, or better yet, IMHO, splurge a few dollars more and take the ferry, you'll get an amazing view of the Statue of Liberty en route if you go to Pier 11 or the WFC instead of to midtown. (the ferry is $9) We took the ferry to the WFC so that we could go to the Towers site and the 9/11 memorial museum which is located about a 5/10 min walk from the pier. This made for easy access to the rest of Manhattan, as there is a huge subway station located at the WTC.

Enjoy!

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 06-20-2013 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: add additional info

Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
What she said

Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
They also have a location in mid-town and it is usually empty (pass by it everyday and have yet to see a waiting line). It is at the intersection of 42nd and 8th.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 PM

11 posts, read 12,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I get it, I also had to take a visiting friend there Although the new Ridgewood store is less busy, a big part of what your visitor is looking for is going to the actual store and location that is featured on the show, so get them to Hoboken. Since parking is a nightmare in Hoboken, take the train. The bakery is a short walk (~3 blocks) from the station. I recommend going in if at all possible mid day during the week...there will be little or no line at the store. We went after AM rush but before lunchtime, and there were only a handful of customers there. We were waited on about a min after walking into the place. Once you visit the shop, you can easily get to NYC...I am certain there are a few iconic places in the city your guest will be thrilled to see. Simply walk back over to the station and hop on a PATH train into the city, or better yet, IMHO, splurge a few dollars more and take the ferry, you'll get an amazing view of the Statue of Liberty en route if you go to Pier 11 or the WFC instead of to midtown. (the ferry is $9) We took the ferry to the WFC so that we could go to the Towers site and the 9/11 memorial museum which is located about a 5/10 min walk from the pier. This made for easy access to the rest of Manhattan, as there is a huge subway station located at the WTC.

Enjoy!

KoalaNJ
i think this is a nice idea. i walked by the bakery wednesday at 11 am. there was an outside line, but it didn't look too bad. Hoboken is a cute area to walk around, she can take some pics of the Manhattan skyline from the river's edge then ride the PATH/ferry into manhattan to see 9/11 memorial and WTC, times square, central park and more!!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Don't feed the beast! I'm sure there are better bake shops in Hoboken.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 PM

42 posts, read 129,872 times
Definitely do not go on a Saturday morning. As others have said, go mid week, walk around Hoboken some, visit Fiore's deli for some fresh mozzarella, enjoy the best views of Manhattan. Use the transit if possible, because parking is very expensive. Or just double park like everyone else the visits, or lives here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey