Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times

Advertisements

I think Rutgers is a decent school, especially at the graduate level. There are many exceptional professors, and some strong departments (philosophy, public health, social work, etc.). I interact with a lot of Rutgers kids (mostly undergrads), and have encountered every type, from party animals (who are found mostly around College & Easton Avenue --- frat row) to studious, ambitious students. I think the students are representative of any large public state school, and the student body is incredibly diverse.

My impression is that there are three broad categories of people whom one encounters in New Brunswick : students, professionals, and "townies." Town residents include a lot of Mexicans (many from Oaxaca, for some reason), blacks, and some blue collar/lower-middle class whites. Students occupy much of the housing near Easton Avenue and in campus housing throughout the area, naturally. Professionals commute in, maybe stay to eat at a restaurant, but tend to live in the suburbs.

I've never found the city to feel unsafe, although there are areas I would avoid at night. Sometimes there are assaults and other crimes, but my advice for a single woman would be to not venture into unknown neighborhoods alone at night, avoid (easily avoidable) sketchy areas, and basically do what you would do in any medium-sized city, i.e. use common sense. George Street/the Theater District, for example, is safe and lively in the evening. New Brunswick is no Camden.

As far as "excitement", besides bars and a few decent restaurants, there are two theaters, a nice small art museum, and whatever activities (film clubs, lectures) that take place on campus. I'll admit, after a business trip to Ann Arbor I was initially envious of the "real college town" feel there, but I realized that, because New Brunswick is so close to NYC, residents feel no need to create a cultural Mecca here.

My advice would be to come, and, as others have suggested, get a room share in Highland Park (a safe community with a walkable downtown), walk/bike into NB, and take the train/bus frequently to the City. NB itself is a bit dingy in places, but there are some many great destinations within a few hours of this area --- mountains, cities, the Shore. And there's so much diversity you might not encounter together in any other area of the country: Indians, Koreans, Chinese, Central Americans, Eastern Europeans, all with their own restaurants and festivals.

I realize that others might not share my opinion, but I think central New Jersey rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM

256 posts, read 573,061 times
Clueless...so clueless. But the best nugget was to choose Temple. I mean sure...New Brunswick is so dangerous, nothing like the paradise that is North Philly, nevermind the fact that Temple, outside of a handful of grad programs, doesn't hold a candle to Rutgers.

Another article today says Rutgers has 2nd largest Jewish population of any school in the country. Also has the largest South Indian population.

BUT BUT BUT you have a map. Who needs real statistics when some map tells me that Los Angeles, for example, is not a segregated city. Yes I suppose between now and Rodney King all the hipsters have taken Watts and Compton, and minorities have moved into Beverly Hills? Yes who needs to know about the gang warfare in "Chirac" when a map says NJ is segregated. Who needs to consider that Jersey City is considered the most racially diverse city in the country, when we can pretend that San Diego to Seattle is a mecca of integration?

Oh and the ignorance extends to NYC...it's safer than NJ cities? Harlem is safer than Hoboken? Can you tell me which drugs you are on exactly?

NYC is safe outside of "Soundview and a couple of neighborhoods in Brooklyn." Right. Go for a walk in the South Bronx sometime.

Do you not realize that in NYC there are projects EVERY WHERE including places like Murray Hill which are full of kids just out of college?

OTOH...the crappy part of NB is by your definition 12 blocks (and reality, much longer) from the actual Rutgers campus. And there are no projects anywhere near campus.

You sound like the typical NJ person who leaves: 1) you are completely ignorant to what is happening in NJ outside of your bubble; 2) you have a delusional vision of life outside of NJ; and 3) you were obviously rejected by Rutgers.

And like most people out of this area, you have lots of time to sit on your hands and sound mistruths on the internet.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:14 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Back to the OP:

Having been born and raised in New Brunswick, I can sum up the problem with it in one sentence: All the big city problems with none of the big city perks.

High rents, high crime, high cost of living that you would get in a major city with none of the job opportunities, culture, fun or convenience of a big city. It's only five miles around, so no matter where you live you'll be practically next to a ghetto. It's crowded, with high rents and high cost of car insurance. Also, the bus system isn't that great, so you'll be advised to own a car. And unless dive bars are your thing, you'll be pretty bored except for the occasional show at the theater.

There is a reason everyone and their grandmother is leaving New Jersey. I don't know what region will lead America and the world in the future, but I know it won't be New Jersey.

If you want an urban University, try for a real urban university, like NYU, Temple, UW etc. If you want a suburban one, look for a suburban one. Rutgers is an unholy mix of the worst of both urban and suburban campuses thrown into one. I say this as someone who spent most of his life in the shadow of Rutgers.
I hope one of your millionaire uncles recently croaked and left you a fortune.

Do you think any students take the train to NYC for bars, plays, concerts, restaurants or do they wander around NB waiting for a new, exciting place to open up?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
Clueless...so clueless. But the best nugget was to choose Temple. I mean sure...New Brunswick is so dangerous, nothing like the paradise that is North Philly, nevermind the fact that Temple, outside of a handful of grad programs, doesn't hold a candle to Rutgers.
I said perks vs problems. Philadelphia has the big city problems, but also the big city perks. New Brunswick? All the problems, none of the perks.
Quote:
Another article today says Rutgers has 2nd largest Jewish population of any school in the country. Also has the largest South Indian population.

BUT BUT BUT you have a map. Who needs real statistics when some map tells me that Los Angeles, for example, is not a segregated city. Yes I suppose between now and Rodney King all the hipsters have taken Watts and Compton, and minorities have moved into Beverly Hills? Yes who needs to know about the gang warfare in "Chirac" when a map says NJ is segregated. Who needs to consider that Jersey City is considered the most racially diverse city in the country, when we can pretend that San Diego to Seattle is a mecca of integration?
First, Rutgers is interracial. I never said it wasn't. I was talking about the city of NB itself. New Jersey is maybe the most racist state in the Union outside of the South. As another poster agreed, look at all the white people tucked away "safe and sound" in Rutgers Village or that little strip near Buccleuch Park, on the border of Franklin and the "colored folk" on the other end of town.

As for Seattle and racism:
"the King County marriage license office, about 1 in 5 couples who take the plunge is interracial."
Mixed marriages becoming more common in Wash. | KING5.com Seattle

And you can have "diversity" without integration. For example, Alabama has tons of blacks, but how well are they received? Are they accepted by whites?
Seattle has less minorities, but they all blend together well, same with most of California, Oregon, etc. In Jersey, I almost never saw black and white people hanging out together.
Oh and the ignorance extends to NYC...it's safer than NJ cities? Harlem is safer than Hoboken? Can you tell me which drugs you are on exactly?

Quote:
NYC is safe outside of "Soundview and a couple of neighborhoods in Brooklyn." Right. Go for a walk in the South Bronx sometime.
Never said it was safe, just said there are less bad neighborhoods than before. Only an idiot would say NYC is as bad as it was in the early 90s.

Quote:
Do you not realize that in NYC there are projects EVERY WHERE including places like Murray Hill which are full of kids just out of college?
And New Brunswick also has "projects." They just destroyed the big ones and built smaller ones on Remsen. Hope Six alright...and what the hell happened to hopes 1,2,3,4 and 5?

Quote:
OTOH...the crappy part of NB is by your definition 12 blocks (and reality, much longer) from the actual Rutgers campus. And there are no projects anywhere near campus.
Again, Hope Six right on Remsen. And section eighters all over the place.
Quote:
You sound like the typical NJ person who leaves: 1) you are completely ignorant to what is happening in NJ outside of your bubble; 2) you have a delusional vision of life outside of NJ; and 3) you were obviously rejected by Rutgers.
I lived in Jersey most of my life...moved to Seattle and see the difference. Fresh air, things to do, plenty of interesting people, no guidos, and legal weed. And I never tried to get into Rutgers as I would never want to go to school in the town I grew up in. I make over 40,000 working in a restaurant (we have 9.25 minimum wage by law here, that plus tips equals a nice haul before I even factor in my rate from managing a few shifts a week) I play video games and D&D with a crew of existentialists, do acid in Gas Works park and eat the occasional brownie while at a concert in the Gorge, go to a Gnostic Christian study group...all things that no one can do in Fascist Jersey.

You're just a regular Jersey defender: so hung up on defending a place you happened to be born in you can't see the truth. Here it is again:
More residents are leaving New Jersey than any other state in U.S. | NJ.com

I guess they all got rejected from Rutgers too

I love the NJ defenders: "Let the bums leave! More room for me and Angie and my mustang!" "Hey, Camden isn't that bad!" etc.

Quote:
And like most people out of this area, you have lots of time to sit on your hands and sound mistruths on the internet.
Insomnia...the result of too much Kratom and/or acid and working nights messing up my internal clock. Oh well, at least I know I'll be able to stay up for the after parties during Bumbershoot.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I hope one of your millionaire uncles recently croaked and left you a fortune.
What the hell does that have to do with finding the town I grew up in unsafe, boring and not worth it?

Quote:
Do you think any students take the train to NYC for bars, plays, concerts, restaurants or do they wander around NB waiting for a new, exciting place to open up?

The last train leaves NYC at 1:00AM. Bars and concerts close at 2:00AM. Which means you can either leave extra early to make sure you can catch the last train, or wait around for the next one at 5:30AM. I know because I tried it. That, and the train ride is 45 minutes to an hour.

No matter how you slice it, New Brunswick is just not worth it.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post

I've never found the city to feel unsafe, although there are areas I would avoid at night. Sometimes there are assaults and other crimes, but my advice for a single woman would be to not venture into unknown neighborhoods alone at night, avoid (easily avoidable) sketchy areas, and basically do what you would do in any medium-sized city, i.e. use common sense. George Street/the Theater District, for example, is safe and lively in the evening. New Brunswick is no Camden.
It's no Camden, I agree (You would have to go to Liberia to find a city worse than Camden) but it isn't safe either.
How Unsafe Is Rutgers, Really? - New York Times
On The Defensive, Mayor Cahill Blames Activist for Crime Wave | New Brunswick Today

Quote:
As far as "excitement", besides bars and a few decent restaurants, there are two theaters, a nice small art museum, and whatever activities (film clubs, lectures) that take place on campus. I'll admit, after a business trip to Ann Arbor I was initially envious of the "real college town" feel there, but I realized that, because New Brunswick is so close to NYC, residents feel no need to create a cultural Mecca here.
NYC is about fifty miles from NB. It's an hour car ride (factoring traffic) and nearly as long by train.

Quote:
My advice would be to come, and, as others have suggested, get a room share in Highland Park (a safe community with a walkable downtown), walk/bike into NB, and take the train/bus frequently to the City. NB itself is a bit dingy in places, but there are some many great destinations within a few hours of this area --- mountains, cities, the Shore. And there's so much diversity you might not encounter together in any other area of the country: Indians, Koreans, Chinese, Central Americans, Eastern Europeans, all with their own restaurants and festivals.
There is plenty of diversity, and no mixing. Blacks only associate with other blacks, whites with whites, Indians with Indians etc.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
No matter how you slice it, New Brunswick is just not worth it.
About 35,000 students would disagree with you. But keep slagging RU. It makes you look more bitter and useless to people on CD by the minute.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
NB is not about a pit stop on the way to NYC, the holy grail for some.

NB and the surrounding area is filled with many options for entertainment and career opportunities with access to wherever. Is life all about hanging around bars? If it is go for it but don't assume everyone else is like minded.

Implication that B,W,I don't mix in NB but they do in NYC??????
Anecdotal observation, N of 1 to create that assumption speaks of a limited perspective, probably acquired at some college other than RU.

Some hang together, some don't. Far be it from possibilitiy to reach out rather than sit back and wait for someone to pay homage to you.

If you are inattentive enough to stay at a bar until two instead of one, you get a free lesson in personal responsibility.

Anyway, the OP's hope for useful info is dwindling.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Anyway, the OP's hope for useful info is dwindling.
I've provided plenty, then got slammed for being completely honest.

NB has high crime, high rents, not much for entertainment, and not much by way of job opportunity. Rutgers is a decent school and one can get a decent education out of it if one wants to. The question is, is a Rutgers education worth it for all the ills of NB?

Again, it is all the problems of a major city, with none of the perks. NB is only five square miles in area (a fact, not an opinion:New Brunswick, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so the ghetto is never far from the "nice parts". Hoodlums are not known to respect invisible barriers and migrate all over town to do their dirty work.

I could go on, but the facts remain. If someone had the chance to go to Rutgers and Rutgers alone was practical, I would say go for it. If there are other options for a decent education elsewhere, I would say take the other option.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I've provided plenty, then got slammed for being completely honest.

NB has high crime, high rents, not much for entertainment, and not much by way of job opportunity. Rutgers is a decent school and one can get a decent education out of it if one wants to. The question is, is a Rutgers education worth it for all the ills of NB?

Again, it is all the problems of a major city, with none of the perks. NB is only five square miles in area (a fact, not an opinion:New Brunswick, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so the ghetto is never far from the "nice parts". Hoodlums are not known to respect invisible barriers and migrate all over town to do their dirty work.

I could go on, but the facts remain. If someone had the chance to go to Rutgers and Rutgers alone was practical, I would say go for it. If there are other options for a decent education elsewhere, I would say take the other option.
Question for you, smarty college kid. Where are Columbia, Penn, Harvard & Yale located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey