Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times

Advertisements

No snobs on Staten Island (part of New York City but suburban with a ferry to Wall Street.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
However you want to define it... Or whatever term you wish to use, it doesn't change the situation. If you want to argue over semantics, you are simple arguing for arguing sake.

I afford just fine.. The simple fact that you brought up affordablity while i discuss attitude, makes me wonder if you are so defensive because you fall into the category. My mortgage is less than one week pay. Its the same rule of thumb taught by previous generations. I am financially conservative and have little debt with 1+ years of expenses in the bank. I may have a small home and "normal" car but I am doing just fine...

The key here is attitude and whether or not you value the existing community and what the current residences have accomplished.

Last edited by usayit; 07-05-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
No snobs on Staten Island (part of New York City but suburban with a ferry to Wall Street.)
People leave S.I. they generally don't move to it from NJ. Why would you?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
People leave S.I. they generally don't move to it from NJ. Why would you?
The 1st thing I thought of was the easy commute to Wall St and that so many low level Wall St workers (the OP) who want a suburban lifestyle ( the OP) do seem to live there, unlike the fat cats who spend more to live in New Jersey. Your comment seems to indicate that the snobs are indeed found in New Jersey.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,775,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
However you want to define it... Or whatever term you wish to use, it doesn't change the situation. If you want to argue over semantics, you are simple arguing for arguing sake.

I afford just fine.. The simple fact that you brought up affordablity while i discuss attitude, makes me wonder if you are so defensive because you fall into the category. My mortgage is less than one week pay. Its the same rule of thumb taught by previous generations. I am financially conservative and have little debt with 1+ years of expenses in the bank. I may have a small home and "normal" car but I am doing just fine...

The key here is attitude and whether or not you value the existing community and what the current residences have accomplished.
So is someone a snob if they want nothing to do with someone because they think that person is a jerk? Guess you know a lot of snobs.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The 1st thing I thought of was the easy commute to Wall St and that so many low level Wall St workers (the OP) who want a suburban lifestyle ( the OP) do seem to live there, unlike the fat cats who spend more to live in New Jersey. Your comment seems to indicate that the snobs are indeed found in New Jersey.
Not a snob. But c'mon - half of SI is literally a garbage dump. I've never heard anyone say "Awesome! I'm moving to SI!" It would be like someone bragging that they're moving to Camden.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
So is someone a snob if they want nothing to do with someone because they think that person is a jerk? Guess you know a lot of snobs.
I never said "jerk" and "snob" are the same.... nor related. And NO, you are completely wrong to the point of manufacturing a false debate stance and doing a terrible job at it. You are wasting time and arguing for arguing sake... so instead I will look it up for you

Snob - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

notice the primary definition(s) is around an attitude of being superior.

I will also quote my first sentence in my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit
My definition of snob is when you carry an attitude of being superior to your neighbors rather than seeing each other as individuals each with a contribution to the community.
Obvious reading comprehension is suspect.... Again... you can argue over semantics in the end it doesn't change the situation. If semantics is all that you got... then I guess that's what you will try to argue.

Last edited by usayit; 07-06-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Not a snob. But c'mon - half of SI is literally a garbage dump. I've never heard anyone say "Awesome! I'm moving to SI!" It would be like someone bragging that they're moving to Camden.
LOL This from someone in New Jersey?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
LOL This from someone in New Jersey?
At least we built the Meadowlands on our dump and now the ridiculous American Dream.

And Staten Island is full of Staten Islanders. Win NJ!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
At least we built the Meadowlands on our dump and now the ridiculous American Dream.
OMG, I completely forgot about that Xanadu project. I used to drive by it to work a few years ago. What a screw up! Commercial real estate companies should use this as a case study on how not to do business. Let's do Jersey a favor and ~not~ mention "that" monstrosity when we brag about our state.

I wonder what percentage of crap in our landfills originated from NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey