Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 6,549 times

Advertisements

I honestly feel like the biggest fool for not seeing this coming. I was just so excited to get hired for a full time position in my field so soon after finishing my program.

I took (and was happy to take) the first job offered to me. I accepted a job without a formal offer letter. I allowed the doctors and practice manager to be rude to me all in the name of getting experience. Granted this is a new career, but I should have known better than to make these rookie mistakes. I can only blame myself. When I think about it, I didn't value myself to wait for another offer, to ask questions because I didn't value myself the universe didn't either.

Nothing about this job was appropriate or ethical (yes...insurance fraud is going on)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 6,549 times
message to tdstyles:
so your advice is not to include them at all on my resume? Isn't it worse to have no experience and have a gap on my resume?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,031,487 times
Don't blame yourself, really. This kinda thing just can and will happen, especially when you're trying to dive head first into a new career. Jobs aren't the easiest to come by, so of course it's easy to be focusing on the benefits of the employment which can cloud the full perspective, possible clues to the truth of the situation, it happens.

It happened to me, I took a job under assumed pretenses because I was suddenly new to the job market, without a college education and just needing work. It ended up being a garbage job, and I was lucky to come across a paid internship which has resulted in a senior management position. And it's the kind of work situation I thought I was getting into at the other job.

Just don't feel about it, if anything you now know exactly what kind of job situation you DON'T want to be in. You're clearly ambitious, so keep your eyes out there and leave no opportunity unexplored.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,615,343 times
Don't beat yourself down, 99% of the fault lies with your immediate supervisor. They have no clue as to what they are doing themselves.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,986,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorWithin View Post
message to tdstyles:
so your advice is not to include them at all on my resume? Isn't it worse to have no experience and have a gap on my resume?
I would echo that advise. You don't have any other positive job experience to point to. An employer just isn't going to want to have to digest the entire story of your issues over 90 days; it is just too easy for them to hire someone with no issues... so a small gap is much better than a negative story.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:36 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
You already seem to have "lessons learned" under your belt, such as knowing now to ask what will be expected as far as training, schedule, location, etc. When you go on an interview and they say, "Do you have any questions?", you do.

Now give yourself a cut-off point to stop licking your wounds over this bad experience, and move forward. Good luck for the future.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,319,041 times
Warrior... I question why this is in the NJ forum and not an employment-related forum, but you seem sincere so I'll bite.

First, do not let jerks get the best of you. You will run into many of them. Find a way to deal with it. You had to do so in school when forced to interact with difficult students and/or nutty professors, right? Here's a newsflash... the jerk percentage is even higher in the employment world. (Control freaks tend to gravitate toward 'human resources'.)

Second, do not include a 90-day employer on your resume. Putting this 'job' on your resume serves no good purpose whatsoever. What were you doing during that time? You were seeking a career opportunity.

Third, sometimes employers can tell you exactly what they want you to do for them. At other times, people get hired to solve problems because the employers themselves don't know exactly how to do so. Don't expect to be fed a task list. Take things one day at a time. Learn to see the world as less black and white and more as shades of gray.

You strike me as diligent and committed, wanting to do a good job. Plenty of employers will appreciate that. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM

4,288 posts, read 10,776,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorWithin View Post
message to tdstyles:

You basically want to pretend it never happened.

It probably will be good experience for your next job, but in your situation, I would just make it out as if I never worked a day in my life in the medical field before.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:48 PM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
I agree that this 3-month work stint should not appear on the OP's resume.
It is totally believable that somebody could have been seeking work for 3 months (or more), so I seriously doubt if any prospective employers would be any the wiser if this experience does not appear on the resume.

And--if the OP does list that job on his/her resume--when a prospective employer checks with the former employer, it will likely be disclosed that the OP was terminated, so the OP has nothing to gain by listing that job, and potentially has much to lose by revealing it.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,684,153 times
Way back when I was a Certified Medical Assistant and it took 3 jobs before I found the practice I loved and stayed at for almost 5 years until I went back to school and went into the veterinary field. I personally think it's more beneficial to work for a smaller practice than a large one - too much corporate BS. In a smaller practice it's more of a family than a bunch of people working under rules/regulations. In all the places I worked there were employee manuals but never a list of how to do your job - that you learn while in training. It's pretty basic and standard in most practices. Good luck and chin up! It will get better. I loved my job and my patients but my calling was always in the animal kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey