Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM

117 posts, read 256,912 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
How is living near the beach during the colder months? Do you feel isolated because the city and such are far away? Are there things to do in the winter to keep you busy, especially with kids? My husband has mentioned that he'd like to live in Monmouth County in a couple years, when our youngest will be 2. So we'll have a 6 yr old, 4 yr old and 2 yr old.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
I live in Monmouth Co, in a beach town. I don't know what you are expecting to do with toddlers to keep busy, mine kept me busy on their own. There are lots of relocated ben...people from North Jersey and New York in the area, so you wouldn't be "isolated".

What sort of things do you do now with them that you think you won't be able to do if you moved here?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks for responding! Well, we go into the city more during the winter and fall. It's a 35 minute drive. The mall and downtown is really close. There are a lot of toddler places, ie little gym and kiddville. DH's commute to NYC isn't bad right now. Parks are close.
Sorry, I just don't know a ton about Monmouth county.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Thanks for responding! Well, we go into the city more during the winter and fall. It's a 35 minute drive. The mall and downtown is really close. There are a lot of toddler places, ie little gym and kiddville. DH's commute to NYC isn't bad right now. Parks are close.
Best places in Monmouth County to live is one town in from the beach
Rumson
West long branch
Ocean twp
Spring Lake
Sea Girt

Ok the last two have beaches

My point is look in the communities 1 to 3 miles inland

Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,657 times
Also nice
Little Silver
Fair Haven
Oceanport
Shrewsbury
Middletown
Holmdel
Colts Neck
Brille
Manasquan
Parts of Wall

Old 07-17-2013, 03:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
We have little gym and places like that. And from Red Bank its an hour train ride into the city.

We have malls.

It isn't the boonies.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 AM

237 posts, read 482,699 times
The Monmouth County beach towns have pretty large year-round populations, since they're still rather close to NYC and a large amount of jobs/amenities. You wouldn't feel stranded out in the middle of nowhere at all. Monmouth County is a very large, bustling area that's very much part of the giant NYC metro area. There's easy rail transit to the city and to places like New Brunswick, Trenton, Philadelphia, ect. It's really not unlike the other NYC-area suburbs, only there happens to be a beach there.

Once you get down to places like Atlantic and Cape May counties, things get a little more desolate in the off-season. But even those areas aren't exactly the sticks.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:58 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,878,380 times
I lived in Manasquan on First Ave, then Salmon Ave, when my kids were small. We loved it, but I worked full time, so did my husband. I always loved that town, but we were always out walking on the boardwalk after dinner (kids were always bundled up) I can't answer for now, except to say, watch for flooding. Some of those streets flood all the time.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Hey all,
How is living near the beach during the colder months? Do you feel isolated because the city and such are far away? Are there things to do in the winter to keep you busy, especially with kids? My husband has mentioned that he'd like to live in Monmouth County in a couple years, when our youngest will be 2. So we'll have a 6 yr old, 4 yr old and 2 yr old.

Thank you in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I live in Monmouth Co, in a beach town. I don't know what you are expecting to do with toddlers to keep busy, mine kept me busy on their own. There are lots of relocated ben...people from North Jersey and New York in the area, so you wouldn't be "isolated".

What sort of things do you do now with them that you think you won't be able to do if you moved here?
What lkb0714 said. I live in Monmouth County about fifteen minutes from the beach. It's most certainly not isolated. There is so much to do here, especially if you have kids.

It's New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the country, remember? "Isolated" doesn't exist, lol.

Do a drive-by at one of the train stations in the early morning and see how many of us are waiting there. This is a big commuter area for New York City jobs. People take ferries from around here to Manhattan for work every day, too.

Also, Monmouth County has GREAT county parks with activities going on for little kids all the time. I wish I still had a little kid, because that splash playground in Dorbrook Park in Colts Neck looks really really good to me...but a 50-something woman playing by herself in the sprinklers might get carted away by the men in the white coats.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Haha, I'll check out the splash playground!

Do you all go into the city leisurely? I usually drive in for dinner sometimes. We get there in 30 minutes. I'm thinking if we move to Monmouth county, I won't be going into the city as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey