Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Quite honestly, given your interests and budget, I think Philly is probably a better fit than what you'll find around here. Philly's a great city and such a bargain right now.
Yeah, really that kinda vibe of S Philly, which seems has become cool now (was not when I lived there!) is not financially parallel to the same areas of NYC. Those neighborhoods have skyrocketed. Even ole hidden secret of Astoria in Queens is now building up and becoming expensive. Two years ago we paid what we pay in ER for a nicer apartment of the same size. Now? Yea have fun.

BUT!

With that in mind, you can live in north Jersey with that mindset, understand reality vs. expectations and actually find yourself in a pretty good place to live. It's sort of a "fine balance" idea. To me at least. I love it here and am looking at maybe buying around here one day. You can bike here, it won't be a problem. A car though, will be helpful.

Hell if nothing else, I'm always looking for a new friend to grab a few pints of cask aged IPA with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 AM

10 posts, read 12,710 times
Thank you all for the in depth information, backgrounds and suggestions of places to potentially live. I spoke with one of my best friends who lives in South Philly now but originally from Bloomfield. He mentioned North Arlington, Nutley, Clifton, Bloomfield, Montclair, Glen Ridge, and a bunch of other towns already mentioned.. said that Hoboken would be the closest thing to a city out of the areas up there. Downtown Jersey City sounds interesting now that you mentioned about being more of the 'fixed gear' crowd.

If it comes down to living in a complex / garden style apartment in order to be in a more safe, convenient, fun neighborhood then I wouldn't mind at all because it seems like it could be the better option financially for me.

It doesn't seem realistic, but I would mainly only like to have my car up if the apartment has a private garage in the burbs since I have tons of expensive hobbies (race motocross/dirtbikes, work on bicycles, build things for fun) along with storing my vehicle (Ford Transit cargo van short version) in there. Otherwise, I will probably leave the van down at my parents since I will always be worrying about getting my hobbies jacked from me and no place or time to work on things to keep busy.

I've lived in North Philly for a year or two because some of my good friends went to Temple and I couldn't wait to move out of there. I currently live down the street from 8th and Ellsworth and super familiar with those places. I am usually going to get drinks with friends at Johnny Brenda's, Barcade, El bar in Fishtown or back in South Philly like the POPE, South Philly Tap Room, Royal Tavern or Cantina.

It sounds like moving to Brooklyn or Manhattan is totally out of the picture now.

I might just end up and declining the promotion to stay here in Philly because it really is so convenient getting around on my bicycle and doing all the things that I do throughout the week but wanted some change and still have hope there is a neighborhood that could fit some of my requirements.

Brokenaperture, I am definitely going to take up your offer and send you a PM. Philly is a big 'beer snob' city these days, but I just love craft beer and like brewing craft IPAs with buddies here. It would be awesome to meet up if I do move up there and talk music, beer, etc.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 AM

550 posts, read 966,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedgearbicycle View Post

I might just end up and declining the promotion to stay here in Philly because it really is so convenient getting around on my bicycle and doing all the things that I do throughout the week but wanted some change and still have hope there is a neighborhood that could fit some of my requirements.
For a young man, you sound like you're really thinking this through pretty well.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
By all means hit me up!

As strad noted, you're definitely taking a great approach to this consideration, and yeah South Philly might just suit you better. But please feel free to hit me up. I went from the "cool" neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens to north Jersey. First Bogota (home to Andy's Corner Bar, a seemingly no frills neighborhood haunt with A+ beer selection) and now East Rutherford. It was a culture shock at first after years in the dense urban landscape where my bike was my chariot. But I've also found a lot of what I can love in the area I'm in now. And ya can't beat the space for the price, comparatively speaking of course. I had a house on Ellsworth for what I pay now for a 1 BR apartment, but I also have a 1 BR apartment just outside NYC, with 24/7 transportation that's the size of 3 BR places I've lived in.

Worth a consideration, you could end up loving it here!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Harrison should also be considered.
* Since you have a car, it's an easy commute to Wall Street West in Lyndhurst.
* Hoboken, JC, and NYC are all easily accessed via PATH.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 AM

239 posts, read 379,562 times
Are you set on living on your own? You could probably find a decent share in Jersey City for $1500.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM

I received job offer early this morning and they are awaiting for my response within the next day or two. I think that I am going to take this opportunity as it is a good move in my professional career and will lead to even better opportunities down the road. I will probably consider living in a city like area without my car (Jersey City or something of the sorts) as I am used to the city life these days but wondering what areas to live in. I saw something about journal square being a well-liked area in Jersey City? What other specific neighborhoods in close by towns are there considering my interests? I mainly want to be in an area that is still youthful and I can enjoy my 20's instead of only having a life of work/commute.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Congratulations on getting the offer.

So here's the skinny on Journal Square (JSQ). I don't know if "well liked" is the right way to describe Journal Square. It's more "up and coming" or "the new frontier." It's a dense, urban neighborhood and very diverse racially/ethnically. It's gritty (actually pretty grimy), but I wouldn't say it's dangerous. It's the first landing spot for many new immigrants, especially Indians, due to affordable rent and easy commute to NYC. A section of JSQ (Newark Ave between JFK Blvd and Tonnele Ave) is known as India Square, packed full of Indian restaurants and shops. JSQ has very few parks, few grocery store options, and not any nightlife to speak of. You'll probably be taking PATH down to Grove Street (next stop) for bars or to Hoboken or NYC. JSQ is dense and walkable, and anywhere in the neighborhood you'll have basic services (convenience store, liquor store, pharmacy, pizza, chinese take-out, dry cleaner, a Dunkin Donuts or two, etc.) within walking distance.

The main draws to JSQ are the affordable rent and PATH trains (24/7 access to NYC). As long as you move there expecting that you're getting the bargain and will not be in the most fashionable neighborhood, then you'll be fine there. If you need cafes, weekend brunches, capoeira studios, and nightlife all around you, JSQ will disappoint you.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 8,206 times
I'm in kind of the same boat. I'm moving to Bergen county for work at teterboro looking for a "work apt" as I will be returning to my home town on weekends. I'm looking for a studio as cheap as possible as close to teterboro as possible but would like a nice nieghborhood ans not to fear for mylife. I was told hasbrouck heights, how is the area? Is there a better option?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Thank you! Do you recommend living around the Grove Street Path in Jersey City then? If so, between what cross streets do you think would be a wise area for me to live in? Obviously, I am going to check out all of these areas before putting down money on a rental but wanted a heads up first and be able to know where to look beforehand. So besides Hoboken and NYC, it looks like Jersey City is my only real option to live in a ‘city like’ atmosphere with local bars and restaurants, etc. Is there any place in NYC that should be considered at all or is that pretty much out of the question due to commuting times to Lyndhurst during the work week? I am not interested in any living shares as I like my privacy and to have my alone time. If I do live in a ‘city like’ area, then I will not be bringing my car along as I will be using transportation and my bicycle. The other alternative for me would to find a place slightly outside of the area where I could find a possible garage/house type setting. I would only want this if I bring my car up and store my hobbies (motocross bikes, regular bicycles, etc.) if I can find something in a safe but yet affordable neighborhood/town. I would not mind a 30-45 minute commute to work in order to achieve this kind of living situation. I was also considering living in the Red Bank, NJ area if I could not find anything closer to my job and occasionally taking the train up there but would really like to experience the North Jersey/NYC area. In addition, I will probably be commuting down to southern New Jersey (Ocean County area) throughout the warmer months so that might open up some more options. If I do live in Jersey City, Hoboken or another ‘city like’ area, then I would be taking the train down to the Pt. Pleasant, NJ station back home as I will not have my car as previously mentioned. During the winter time, I will not be going back home so much so this will not be such a major concern for me when the colder weather arrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey