Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 03:48 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times

Advertisements

1) Called them on Tuesday night night for a 2 year contract for their triple play package. Offered as $79.99, but I asked how much after taxes and fees--they said around $99.00 per month.

2) 99.00 per month is not my issue--that would save me $60.00 per month from Cablevision Triple play.

My concerns are 2.

#1 This being the most important---they say I can port my current Cablevision Fios. However I have read issues online where Verizon says you can to get your business but then reigns on the promise for various reasons like we don't own the number; You used to have Verizon DSL and then transferred it to Cablevision--we can only transfer it once.

#2 They are lying to me just to get my business back. Can I cancel this. I didn't sign any papers and just stopped short today of agreeing to it--where there is a check box.

I need this number until at least 09/04--I can't risk losing it. Verizon is coming on Tuesday--what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Just to be clear--my primary concern is keeping my current phone #. If I can't (Verizon says yes, but who can trust them), that's where the contract issue goes into play. Yes I did agree over the phone and that's it.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Just to be clear--my primary concern is keeping my current phone #. If I can't (Verizon says yes, but who can trust them), that's where the contract issue goes into play. Yes I did agree over the phone and that's it.
I do believe the ability to keep your number is a law if you want to keep it. Verizon however can't give you the number until the other company releases it, which sometimes takes longer than expected. In that case they issue you a temporary number until they get can get your number transferred. It's really not Verizon's fault the other company doesn't release the number in a timely matter. If keeping the number is really that important to you until September 4th, you can always call them and reschedule the order date they transfer your service until after that date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yes I did agree over the phone and that's it.
Verbal agreements are as legally binding as written contracts in most cases. I'm pretty sure they record conversations when you place an order, so if it ended up in court they would have the recording of your verbal agreement.

Last edited by TechGromit; 08-17-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I do believe the ability to keep your number is a law if you want to keep it. Verizon however can't give you the number until the other company releases it, which sometimes takes longer than expected. In that case they issue you a temporary number until they get can get your number transferred. It's really not Verizon's fault the other company doesn't release the number in a timely matter. If keeping the number is really that important to you until September 4th, you can always call them and reschedule the order date they transfer your service until after that date.
Thanks a lot! Makes sense.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
On many phone services you can call forward your number so you could always call forward your old number to the new one but you should be able to have it ported right away.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 AM

289 posts, read 608,228 times
1. If the service is not installed yet, you are NOT under contract. I think Verizon also offers a 30 day money back guarantee, so I don't think you have to worry about the contract.

2. Number porting might or might not happen from Cablevision to Verizon. What a lot of folks do it buy a T-mobile prepaid SIM (Free or 99cents on their website), port the number to T-mobile prepaid. Then, once the number is ported over to T-mobile, they port it again to google voice for $20. Once the number has been ported to google voice, you can forward it to any other number/multiple numbers. I encountered this problem a few months back when I moved from Verizon FIOS area to Comcast area (with no Verizon FIOS). Did the T-mobile to Google Voice transfer, took about 3 to 4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey