Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times

Advertisements

They don't pay taxes either , and they milk billions a year out of tax payers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,989,039 times
OK, so don't watch.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The simple fact is that the vast majority of these guys do not get paid millions for playing a game. The average salary in the NFL is $1.9 million, but the median salary is around $770,000 with rookies earning $405,000. The average player will only play for 3.5 years. These are the CURRENT salaries. If we go back to the 90's or early 00's many players were earning well under $400,000 a year. There is also a major growing trend of income inequality between the players. The top 20% of NFL players earn around 63% of the salary pie up from around 50% in 2000. Basically, the players most likely to suffer traumatic head injuries (which are the special teams guys) are paid the least, have the shortest careers and have no recourse when they have lifelong problems from playing.

Of course, it's not all the greedy NFL either. The player's union had an opportunity to argue for healthcare benefits, pensions funds, etc. to be established to help take care of retired players, especially ones who played in the 70's and 80's when salaries where nowhere near enough to sustain a lower end player for life, especially if they had medical problems. They basically flubbed to get more money for the current players. As a former college football player who knows a few guys who went pro I think the NFL AND the player's union need to do more for former players.

I've never met a player that didn't know that head injuries were a part of the game and a very real risk. What wasn't known for the vast majority of them was how serious repetitive concussions could be and that the effects may not show up for years. What also was commonplace was a downplaying of those injuries by doctors and trainers that worked for the teams. Getting your "bell rung" was a normal thing and not something to worry about. You have a pounding headache all the time? Here have some drugs and man up. The way players get repeat injections in their joints so they can play through pain was the way head injuries were treated. A big difference though was that the players knew the risks with blowing out a knee and accepted it, most had no idea about the brain injuries and trusted what the doctors told them. Many more never told anyone of their problems over fears of being cut.

I don't think that the former players deserve hundreds of millions of dollars in a settlement. As you said, they certainly knew there was some degree of risk. However, I do think the NFL owes it to their former players to provide some degree of stability for them whether financially through a pension system or at the very least through providing healthcare.

That isn't even getting into the numerous kids laying their lives on the line for college sports teams who never made pro who are dealing with many of these same issues.
The whole point of football is to get the hand egg into the endzone without getting tackled. If you cant do it and are worried about head injury, dont play.

Do you really believe anyone even a doctor when they tell you, that it is okay to get your "bell rung"? I would call that doctor out for bull****ting right there. Hire a lawyer and sue. If it is uncomfortable the first time, doing it over and over again is never good. You dont need a doctor's advice for that.

Are these guys even suing the team doctors too?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Many careers have inherent risks. These "guys" already get paid millions for playing a game. All part of an entertainment show. If I was to be upset, it would be that persons watching football should get paid a few million each too. Only fair, right?
the guys in this settlement weren't paid millions. and most NFL players aren't. and even if you work in a risky career, there are plenty of reasonable assumptions that your employer will take proper precautions to reduce the risk, not increase it.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The whole point of football is to get the hand egg into the endzone without getting tackled. If you cant do it and are worried about head injury, dont play.

Do you really believe anyone even a doctor when they tell you, that it is okay to get your "bell rung"? I would call that doctor out for bull****ting right there. Hire a lawyer and sue. If it is uncomfortable the first time, doing it over and over again is never good. You dont need a doctor's advice for that.

Are these guys even suing the team doctors too?
i don't think you fully get the point he made. years ago, when someone got a concussion, you waited for clearence to go back and play. i've had concussions, and you can think you're fine, because you don't see the symptoms yourself, but others, especially ones with medical training, do. so when someone with medical training clears you to go back in, you're generally going to believe them. Just like if you come out of a game when you land funny on your ankle, and the doctor looks at it, or even does a quick xray/mri in the clubhouse, and says you can go out and play. it might be sore because of a bruise or contusion, but you are told you can play....why would you question that?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 PM

289 posts, read 609,008 times
A lot of people here are saying that the players should have known about head injuries. I think the settlement was not about that. It was about what NFL knew about head injuries and did not share with the players. Since the settlement has been reached, we will never know what specific details NFL knew about the risks (other than the obvious fact that playing football carries risk of head injuries), but that info was incriminating enough for NFL to fork out $765million and settle.

I think the settlement amount of $765million to be paid over 20 yrs is very low, it will be shared amount 18000 retired NFL player. This is from a business that makes over 9.5B a year. It is downright insulting, but that is just my opinion.

I think the players desperately needed money now for various reasons (including medical expenses) and did not want to drag this litigation for very long. I see mention of the huge paychecks NFL players make every season, but another interesting statistic I read was that 78% of NFL players, 60% of NBA players and a very large percentage of MLB players (4x that of the average U.S. citizen) file bankruptcy within five years of retirement. Of course, this is not NFL's fault, it is mostly players fault.

Last edited by 4NJseasons; 08-30-2013 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,919,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
A lot of people here are saying that the players should have known about head injuries. I think the settlement was not about that. It was about what NFL knew about head injuries and did not share with the players. Since the settlement has been reached, we will never know what specific details NFL knew about the risks (other than the obvious fact that playing football carries risk of head injuries), but that info was incriminating enough for NFL to fork out $765million and settle.

I think the settlement amount of $765million to be paid over 20 yrs is very low, it will be shared amount 18000 retired NFL player. This is from a business that makes over 9.5B a year. It is downright insulting, but that is just my opinion.

I think the players desperately needed money now for various reasons (including medical expenses) and did not want to drag this litigation for very long. I see mention of the huge paychecks NFL players make every season, but another interesting statistic I read was that 78% of NFL players, 60% of NBA players and a very large percentage of MLB players (4x that of the average U.S. citizen) file bankruptcy within five years of retirement. Of course, this is not NFL's fault, it is mostly players fault.
Great point now, but who would want to play in the NFL knowing you have a strong possibility of virtually being brain dead by age 50?

It's not just NFL: What parent would let their kids play football today? #1 Knowing the risks; #2) One can argue they are at even greater risks since their brains are still developing.

I know there is know way of banning Professional Football---it's like fighting the tobacco companies and NRA at once.

Plus it is the most popular sport in the US. It's a tough situation.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,638,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Great point now, but who would want to play in the NFL knowing you have a strong possibility of virtually being brain dead by age 50?

It's not just NFL: What parent would let their kids play football today? #1 Knowing the risks; #2) One can argue they are at even greater risks since their brains are still developing.

I know there is know way of banning Professional Football---it's like fighting the tobacco companies and NRA at once.

Plus it is the most popular sport in the US. It's a tough situation.
Frisco, I think your still sore about getting tossed off the chess team. There are hundreds if not thousands that would take the job if given the chance. Not unlike professional boxing or MMA, you know your probably gonna get your head bashed in from time to time but it's risk vs. reward. Either way the players union bargained for the ability to have an arbitrator arbitrate these type of matters and that's exactly what happened (if the courts uphold it). Where was / is the players union when teams or a select group of members of a team put a hit out on an opposing player. They put out bounties and everyone in pro football knows what's going on. Where is the outrage when that happens? I'll tell you where it is. Virtually nowhere. It's part of the game, like it or not.

Last edited by exhdo1; 08-30-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,919,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Frisco, I think your still sore about getting tossed off the chess team. There are hundreds if not thousands that would take the job if given the chance. Not unlike professional boxing or MMA, you know your probably gonna get your head bashed in from time to time but it's risk vs. reward. Either way the players union bargained for the ability to have an arbitrator arbitrate these type of matters and that's exactly what happened (if the courts uphold it). Where was / is the players union when teams or a select group of members of a team put a hit out on an opposing player. They put out bounties and everyone in pro football knows what's going on. Where is the outrage when that happens? I'll tell you where it is. Virtually nowhere. It's part of the game, like it or not.
Okay. By the way I played football all the way through high school.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,082,493 times
If CTE (the brain trauma found in many dead NFLers who suffered concussions) is diagnosed with ex-players who only played youth or HS football, the sport as we know it is over. The youth numbers have been dropping in many parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: