Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2006, 03:20 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times

Advertisements

Hello, being from Central Florida, I am unfamiliar with New Jersey. However, several years ago, I visited New York City, and as we drove into lower Manhatten, I recall seeing huge rusty burnt-out factories along (what I believed to be) the New Jersey side of the river. This place looked like a huge industrial ghost town.

I was pretty aw-struck, and intrigued, by the "scaryness" of this area. I have since tried to find out information on this area, but not knowing the proper name for this area, I've had a hard time finding its location. Perhaps these old factories and warehouses have been demolished by now, but this was only about 3 years ago that I saw them there.

Can anyone help me to identify the waterfront factory area that I'm talking about? Are these structures still there, or have they been demolished? This place looked surreal - I actually thought that it would be pretty cool just to walk around there, if you could survive. Any info is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 04:24 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
If you were on the west side of Manhattan you would be talking about Jersey City or Hoboken. The majority of the waterfront properties (factories, rail yards,ship terminals etc.) in these two towns have been bought and most are either being demolished, renovated or rehabed. A big portion of the waterfront in Jersey City is now corporate office buildings. If you were on the lower east side of Manhattan you would be talking about Brooklyn. My description above pretty much holds true for Brooklyn as well. The waterfront has been reclaimed and there are many projects slated for the area. Oddly many younger people that work in Manhattan and can't afford N.Y.C. rents have moved into the waterfront area of Jersey City. While the city still has it share of problems much has changed in the last 15 years. It is becoming yupified slowly but surely. I find it interesting that you refer to the area as a slum citing you didn't come within a mile of it! Hope that helps.

Last edited by exhdo1; 10-17-2006 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-18-2006, 07:01 AM

I didn't intend to offend anyone by calling it a "slum", just didn't know what else to call it.

I have tried to find pictures of this area on the internet, but can't seem to find any. It's true, I only saw this area from the highway going to Manhatten from the airport, but it looked like an entire city of huge rusted factories and some large buildings that had been abandoned! I had never seen anything like it, and became real curious about what it was that I had seen. Since I couldn't find anything by googling it, I decided to ask if anyone here knew what I was talking about. Thanks for your help. If anyone can direct me to pictures of this area, before renovation, I'd appreciate it.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
If you're talking about heading to Manhattan from Newark airport, you likely saw parts of Harrison, Bayonne, or Jersey City. Harrision especially has some huge industrial areas that have been abandoned for years, and several of them are currently being dismantled and redeveloped.

Bob

Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
The areas along the New Jersey Turnpike from roughly Elizabeth to Secaucus, including the exit for Newark Airport, are lined with old factories, abandoned buildings and odd-looking marshes and wetlands. I actually think this is what sewed the seeds for New Jersey's dirty and ugly reputation being that for many people, coming from New York especially, this was the first thing they saw coming into New Jersey. Not exactly a good first impression.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
I agree with dullnboring about the first impression bit. Entering NJ from up north ain't pretty.

Maybe as those areas get replaced with nice office buildings and apartments Jersey's image will really improve too..that would be a big step forward..

Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM

In a wierd sort of way, I am sort of fascinated by what I saw. It looked like some kind of unbelieveable post-apocalyptic world. Like something you would have seen on Mad Max. I've been searching for some pictures of this area, but can't seem to find any.

Was that place just totally gated off? Or did people actually live and work there within the last three years? If I knew I wouldn't get killed, I figured that it would be a real adventure just exploring that area.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:20 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
It's where we put all the people with three eyes and two heads. They got that way from all the hidden chemicals buried in the ground here in NJ. The secret is out but don't let too many people in on it. The area is highly guarded by an elite security force. The only way in is to know the password. The password is "SWORDFISH". Dude are you for real? You make like you just passed area 51 and saw spaceships landing. The area you saw was highly industrialized at one time. No more no less. It's just like going to any other major metropolitan area that had certain industries fall by the wayside. If you want a big treat there are giant abandoned steel mills in Pennsylvania you can visit. Just watch the begining of the Sopranos and you will see a beautiful montage of the area your talking about!

Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 PM

I'm seriously for real! There's nothing like that in the South. I've been to New York (Manhatten) a number of times, but flew into JFK, so never had a chance to see that.

I mean, this place looked like an entire city that had been abandoned. Big rusty factories, even a high rise that looked like an appartment complex or office building. There was no sign of life anywhere in there, at least while looking at it from some distance. The place looked like it oozed toxic waste and oil. You can't tell me that this place doesn't freak you out when you see it!

I'm not putting down New Jersey, I've been to New Jersey before, and most of the state is very nice looking. I'd just never seen this place before.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:25 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
You can't tell me that this place doesn't freak you out when you see it!
It doesn't freak me out. I am more freaked out by your reaction. Really, it's just a run-down industrial area.

I'm trying to understand your fascination.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey