Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times

Advertisements

Live coverage: Booker defeats Lonegan in U.S. Senate election | NJ.com

Hopefully Booker focuses on the important issues.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 10-16-2013 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Live coverage: Booker defeats Lonegan in U.S. Senate election | NJ.com

Hopefully Booker focuses on the important issues.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
With 94% of the votes in Booker 55%, Lonegan 44%.

Here's the breakdown by county:

Booker vs. Lonegan: County-by-county voting results in U.S. Senate election | NJ.com

Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,827 times
Did anyone think it would be any other way?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,184 times
I like him, but I kind-of wanted him to lose, because Newark needs a mayor more than New Jersey needs a senator.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
Lonegan cheered on the Teabagger's tactics. Not a huge Booker fan but Lonegan's a complete mouthbreathing puppet of the Koch brothers.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:05 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
With 94% of the votes in Booker 55%, Lonegan 44%.

Here's the breakdown by county:

Booker vs. Lonegan: County-by-county voting results in U.S. Senate election | NJ.com
Somerset was closer than I expected.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 AM

513 posts, read 1,166,937 times
Thank goodness that Booker won. Although I am rethinking the political landscape of NJ.....it should never have been this close an election. Some blame goes to Booker for his lack of retail politicking in this campaign. It's a mistake that I hope he never again repeats.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times
NJ electorate again chooses to maintain status quo and all is well in NJ.

It is insane to think CB will veer from the play book that has made Newark and other crime ridden cities a Nj legacy.

The choice was predictable as is the outcome and conclusion of his tenure.

Nj is a lost cause politically.

Stunning that Nj will stand by a political party that sets its legislators apart with exemptions from laws it imposes on citizens. What would you call an attitude that thinks this is a good thing?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Somerset was closer than I expected.
+1

Somerset County--with the exception of Franklin Twp-- is predominantly Republican. In my recent drives around the county, I don't recall seeing any lawn signs for Booker, while the Lonegan lawn signs were definitely a presence, even if they weren't a major presence.

When I went to vote yesterday, at ~12:30, I noted that I was the 121st person to vote in my district, which is actually a fairly heavy turnout for what had been predicted to be an election that most people would sit-out. At the time, I interpreted this turnout to be favorable for Lonegan, in view of the volume of lawn signs, but...apparently not, as Lonegan captured only a 1% plurality in the county. I guess that this shows how relatively inaccurate something like lawn signs can be when it comes to predicting an election's outcome.

Anyway, it is difficult to view the results as anything other than a referendum on both The ACA and The POTUS, since Mr. Lonegan railed about both almost non-stop, with little mention of what he would do for NJ. (Of course, Booker also said very little about what he would do for NJ...)

When Booker asked during the second debate, "Is Mr. Lonegan running against me or against the President?", Lonegan's shouted response was, "both!". In DC, the gridlock was (correctly) attributed by the majority of the public to the intransigence of the GOP and to John Boehner caving to the demands of 30 or so Teabaggers.

If nothing else, Lonegan's repeated statements in support of the GOP's tactics was most likely what did him in. Even though NJ does tend to vote as a Blue State, the bottom line is that most folks are more middle-of-the-road than of either political extreme. By trying to appeal to only the political extremists on the right, Lonegan doomed his NJ candidacy. If he had been running in...Tennessee...or South Carolina...or in some other states, his strategy would have likely worked, but to think that his strategy would work with the majority of the electorate in NJ was pure folly.

The Star-Ledger's conservative/Libertarian columnist, Paul Mulshine, almost always produces thought-provoking analyses of NJ politics, and today's column was--IMHO--particularly insightful. I suggest reading his analysis of the outcome of the Senatorial race, which I believe to be right on target:

A Lonegan win just wasn't in the tea leaves | NJ.com

For those who don't have the time or the inclination to read Mulshine's column, here is the Cliff Notes version of it:
The GOP shot itself in the foot, nationwide, by allowing itself to be dominated by Ted Cruz and ~30 other extremists, and, in addition to helping to doom Lonegan's chances in NJ, they likely weakened themselves in the long-term.

Last edited by Retriever; 10-17-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey