Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times

Advertisements

Was looking at his website and his stance isn't about lower property taxes (although he claims any savings *could* be used to lower them), but rather overhaul the state income tax system.

His plan is a flat tax, and bottom line, the lowest income workers would see a rise in the taxes they pay and he freely admits it.

If getting rid of boondoggles such as Abbott will save us so much money, surely he could somehow work out a plan that those working for minimal wages will not be further burdened by increased taxes.

Why would any lower income worker vote for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,611,115 times
Errr ummm..because he is a republican. Rob from the poor and give to the rich.... robbin' in the hood.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Lonegan is the typical right-wing nutjob Reagan-wannabe.

"trickle down" doesn't work... never has, never will

Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
I am all for a flat income tax. In fact, I'd rather see no income tax at all. There was none in NJ until 1976. The best way to do it IMO is to collect taxes via sales.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am all for a flat income tax. In fact, I'd rather see no income tax at all. There was none in NJ until 1976. The best way to do it IMO is to collect taxes via sales.
so it's ok for those who can least afford it (and we're not talking welfare queens, i'm talking about hardworking people) to raise their taxes? if taxes are evil, they're evil for everyone, not just the upper middle and upper class.

and he said this will bring our tax rate to below delaware's - i'm throwing the BS flag on this one. in my instance, my state tax liability in DE TODAY (even before lonegan's "plan") would be 50% HIGHER than what I pay in NJ. lonegan's statement about the tax rate being lower than DE's is only true for taxpayers making OVER $400K. that soundbite sure sounds good and will have some people jumping on his bandwagon, but peel back the covers and you realize the VAST majority of taxpayers in NJ ALREADY TODAY pay less than DE.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
so it's ok for those who can least afford it (and we're not talking welfare queens, i'm talking about hardworking people) to raise their taxes? if taxes are evil, they're evil for everyone, not just the upper middle and upper class.
I am for the same rate of income taxation for everyone, as I am for the same rate of sales or property taxes for everyone, just as I am for the same grocery bill for everyone who buys the same items at the Shop Rite. Taxes are too high, but they are not evil. But everyone who lives in the state should have 'skin in the game', as I think Joe Biden says. No one should be exempt from taxation. Whatever is good for the goose is good for the gander. The same rate should apply to everyone, whether it be income, sales or property.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Default why steve won't win

"Steve Lonegan is New Jersey’s number one advocate for the overtaxed citizen. He is running for Governor to stand up for taxpayers, reverse the Corzine social engineering agenda and make New Jersey a great place to live, work, run a business and raise a family once again"

Hope he does become competitive but right out of the box he is a cliche'.

Whoever is running his campaign is there for the consulting $$ bucks and is using a cookie cutter approach that puts people to sleep with meaningless drivel. Makes him the obligatory "don't want to waste my vote" candidate.

"#1 advocate for the overtaxed" - who is #2? how was this determined? Was there a committee or a list somewhere that posts names of people that bear the crown of advocate for the overtaxed?

" make New Jersey a great place to live, work, run a business and raise a family once again" - akin to hearing, "leaps tall buildings in a single bound..." no substance here.

Not to say the guy doesn't have the right stuff to be our true savior but his website is a one way canned message right out of the pages of Bob Menendez. At least Bob has a contact email on his site. Good for capturing your complaint and turning you into a destination for his newsletter.

This is so sad to see a potential candidate on his way to becoming a forgotten loser because of his campaign approach.

His strengths are ameliorated by the chronic refrain sung by every candidate that has ever run for governor. Nothing differentiates him, 'at first glance".

Complaints about a flat tax pale in comparison to current tax inequities.
Unless the taxes.....collected by whatever means... are efficiently used, taxpayer abuse will continue in the obscene tradition of NJ politics. The current system that robs the poor and diminishes everyones' quality of life is preferable to a flat tax?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am for the same rate of income taxation for everyone, as I am for the same rate of sales or property taxes for everyone, just as I am for the same grocery bill for everyone who buys the same items at the Shop Rite. Taxes are too high, but they are not evil. But everyone who lives in the state should have 'skin in the game', as I think Joe Biden says. No one should be exempt from taxation. Whatever is good for the goose is good for the gander. The same rate should apply to everyone, whether it be income, sales or property.
we'll agree to disagree. why not make the flat tax the lowest rate so NOONE has an increase?

would you understand why those making less than $35K would not vote for him? because if he runs (meaning, has a good shot) and loses the complaints will be 'those *urban* people keep voting dems in'. well, would you blame them?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Steve Lonegan is New Jersey’s number one advocate for the overtaxed citizen. He is running for Governor to stand up for taxpayers, reverse the Corzine social engineering agenda and make New Jersey a great place to live, work, run a business and raise a family once again"

Hope he does become competitive but right out of the box he is a cliche'.

Whoever is running his campaign is there for the consulting $$ bucks and is using a cookie cutter approach that puts people to sleep with meaningless drivel. Makes him the obligatory "don't want to waste my vote" candidate.

"#1 advocate for the overtaxed" - who is #2? how was this determined? Was there a committee or a list somewhere that posts names of people that bear the crown of advocate for the overtaxed?

" make New Jersey a great place to live, work, run a business and raise a family once again" - akin to hearing, "leaps tall buildings in a single bound..." no substance here.

Not to say the guy doesn't have the right stuff to be our true savior but his website is a one way canned message right out of the pages of Bob Menendez. At least Bob has a contact email on his site. Good for capturing your complaint and turning you into a destination for his newsletter.

This is so sad to see a potential candidate on his way to becoming a forgotten loser because of his campaign approach.

His strengths are ameliorated by the chronic refrain sung by every candidate that has ever run for governor. Nothing differentiates him, 'at first glance".

Complaints about a flat tax pale in comparison to current tax inequities.
Unless the taxes.....collected by whatever means... are efficiently used, taxpayer abuse will continue in the obscene tradition of NJ politics. The current system that robs the poor and diminishes everyones' quality of life is preferable to a flat tax
?
I agree the problems in this state extend way beyond our state income tax system (considering our progressive tax structure is similar to a lot of states, it's hardly *the problem*). However, that is one thing he seems to be focused on, which is why I wanted to discuss it. I find it a smokescreen for what really ails us.

Under his plan, my family would save a whopping $1K if it's implemented - and you know what? We're in the upper tier of earners (overall) - the HUGE savings comes from those making over $500K, so I find it laughable he works for the "working taxpayer". (i'm not saying those who make over $500K don't work, but they are hardly the majority that he purports to support - hey that rhymes!)

Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
we'll agree to disagree. why not make the flat tax the lowest rate so NOONE has an increase?

would you understand why those making less than $35K would not vote for him? because if he runs (meaning, has a good shot) and loses the complaints will be 'those *urban* people keep voting dems in'. well, would you blame them?
I'm for eliminating the income tax completely, for everyone, if possible. I don't think one should be punished for engaging in productive behavior, in this case, labor. However, if there has to be an income tax, I think everyone should pay the same amount, whether it be the 2.9% that Lonegan proposes, or 4.0% or 0.5%. I strongly believe in this, just as you would believe there should only be one listing of prices for entrees on a restaurant menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey