Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

While commuting back home along Route 18 at 7:00 PM, I encountered horrific bumper to bumper traffic after a major crash at the intersection with Route 1. Supposedly, 2 lanes along Route 1 south were closed and there were half a dozen emergency vehicles at the interchange with Route 1. I would like to know what exactly led to this crash. I am unable to find any news information on this. Did anyone else witness bad traffic Jams along Route 18 or route 1 south at 7:00 PM today evening.

Should we inform NJDOT to fix this intersection. It's designed in a very unsafe manner for fast flowing traffic and needs an overhaul. I see frequent accidents and close calls here, and this junction also deals with quite a bit of tractor trailer traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
They're already quite well aware of it being a dangerous interchange, as it has been that way for years/decades. I'd expand that to say that NJDOT is probably pretty well aware of every major dangerous spot on the roads, it's not like they don't get accident data. I would also remind you that NJ has vast numbers of dangerous/inadequate intersections and interchanges, practically every section of urban highway that has origins before the interstate era, is vastly deficient in various ways, as anyone who drives the Pulaski Skyway, the Parkway through Newark, etc could tell you.

However, this problem is actually being worked on. Currently, they're working on constructing improvements on the other dangerous/problematic interchange nearby (Turnpike).

The Route 1 interchange is being designed. Current schedule for rebuilding/improving it has construction beginning in 2014.

DOT Plans Major Work for Rt. 18 - Top News - East Brunswick, NJ Patch

Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
These NJ roads/intersections were not unsafe when they were designed and built many years ago.
What make them dangerous now?

TOO MANY FRIGGIN PEOPLE

Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 AM

248 posts, read 674,558 times
We are the most densely populated state in the Union, which means more traffic and more accidents. [highest auto insurance rates in the country]

I am not a fan of stereotypes but Jersey drivers are some of the worst in the country (especially certain ethnic groups)

Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
These NJ roads/intersections were not unsafe when they were designed and built many years ago.
What make them dangerous now?

TOO MANY FRIGGIN PEOPLE
PDD. This is not just a problem today. The intersection has been a major issue ever since the first time we visited Jersey in 1999. How were they able to reconstruct route 18 in New Brunswick for high speed traffic, but unable to make changes to this particular intersection. These 2 state highways are easily one of the busiest across NJ. Such a poorly planned intersection with awkward merges is bound to cause issues. Route 18 needs some major changes from Paulus Blvd. to Tices Ln.

As Miller mentioned, I hope work starts soon enough on this stretch of highway, because such a project is in critical demand for thousands of residents unlike all the fantasy transit Maps and proposals I have made till now .

The odd thing is though, I am unable to find out how and why this accident occurred through local news. That's the Information I am looking for.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 AM

882 posts, read 1,671,190 times
slightly off topic, but another awful spot is the 287 south off-ramp to La Fayette at exit 36 in Morristown. People come flying off the highway, then dive across two lanes of high-speed traffic with maybe 1500 feet to go before screeching to a halt at the Ridgedale Avenue traffic light. Worst accident I ever saw was there, overtunrned car and everything.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
slightly off topic, but another awful spot is the 287 south off-ramp to La Fayette at exit 36 in Morristown. People come flying off the highway, then dive across two lanes of high-speed traffic with maybe 1500 feet to go before screeching to a halt at the Ridgedale Avenue traffic light. Worst accident I ever saw was there, overtunrned car and everything.
My dad used to work up in Morrristown and complained everyday about how hellish that Intersection was.

BTW, was anyone able to find news on this incident.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
PDD. This is not just a problem today. The intersection has been a major issue ever since the first time we visited Jersey in 1999. How were they able to reconstruct route 18 in New Brunswick for high speed traffic, but unable to make changes to this particular intersection. These 2 state highways are easily one of the busiest across NJ. Such a poorly planned intersection with awkward merges is bound to cause issues. Route 18 needs some major changes from Paulus Blvd. to Tices Ln.

As Miller mentioned, I hope work starts soon enough on this stretch of highway, because such a project is in critical demand for thousands of residents unlike all the fantasy transit Maps and proposals I have made till now .

The odd thing is though, I am unable to find out how and why this accident occurred through local news. That's the Information I am looking for.
That area was never a problem in the 50's when we used to walk across the Morris Goodkind bridge from Edison to Westons Mill pond.

A lot less people back then. When will people ever come to the realization that we have too many people and that we don't need more traffic lanes and bigger highways.

In the 60's we used to drive from Edison to Seaside Heights in 45 Min without using the GSP.

Less people.

We used to drive from Edison to the farms in Piscataway in 15 min. that was before I287 existed.

Now TOO many people.

If we could ever get the USA population down to a more manageable 100 million people we would not need to build bigger highways to replace the ones we built 2 years ago.

If you want to make a major contribution to society figure out how to get people from having so many children, we already have enough road engineers.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

PDD is correct. Years ago, route 18 had houses along the road. Rt. 18 was also extended to go to the shore. It's only become unsafe and crazy as the population has increased. There's a lot of multi-tasking going on in vehicles, too.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That area was never a problem in the 50's when we used to walk across the Morris Goodkind bridge from Edison to Westons Mill pond.

A lot less people back then. When will people ever come to the realization that we have too many people and that we don't need more traffic lanes and bigger highways.

In the 60's we used to drive from Edison to Seaside Heights in 45 Min without using the GSP.

Less people.

We used to drive from Edison to the farms in Piscataway in 15 min. that was before I287 existed.

Now TOO many people.

If we could ever get the USA population down to a more manageable 100 million people we would not need to build bigger highways to replace the ones we built 2 years ago.

If you want to make a major contribution to society figure out how to get people from having so many children, we already have enough road engineers.
Sorry , I mistook what you meant by many years ago. For me, 15 years is a long time frame.

Advising the public to use contraceptives while having intimate nighttime fun is the only way to prevent people from having more children. Even then, some people naturally have a higher reproductive rate than others, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 11-07-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey