Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,845 times

Advertisements

We just did a 300k addition on our house are showing signs of poor quality, workmanship. Is there anyone I can consult with to do an inspection and show the work was done right or wrong. There are a number of items I have questions about and I know there is a book about standards and so forth. Any professional please contact me so we can take a look at these issues.
Thank you.
Leon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,417,071 times
The only real book of "standards" that moght get referenced (other than the building codes) is the Residential Performance Guidelines published by the National Association of Home Builders. Unfortunately, since it was written by a group of Builders, the standards are horribly loose, and any builder would be embarassed to build to them (though some do....).

Do you have any particular issues that you'd like to discuss, or any pictures of the issues? Feel free to DM or email me if you'd prefer.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:05 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,819,528 times
Would the town's building inspector be able to help? If you got permits, they will need to inspect it.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,417,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Would the town's building inspector be able to help? If you got permits, they will need to inspect it.
Yes, but being code-compliant and being poorly built are too different things. The codes cover life safety- if the building isn't going to fall down or burn down, it's OK code-wise- it can still look like crap.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:44 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,819,528 times
gotcha, thanks Bob.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,845 times
Right, I suppose the building inspector would only concern himself with structure and fire. I will send some pictures of what I am referring to. One example is we had finished an upstairs bath about 5 years ago, some work that was done this time was right under this bathroom. Now, tiles in our stall showre are cracked and water is coming down into the first floor. Another thing is the HVAC guys never hooked the humidifier back up and the wood in many places including the floors shrunk noticably. The crown moulding seperated from the ceiling etc. Finally, we have never had water in the basement, they added a sump with no pump, of course the first major rain storm we got water through the sump pit. Also, we have tested high for radon, but they never sealed the sump pit.
I need help!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM

30 posts, read 178,712 times
Skipping a proper seal on the sump is very common. If your radon level is in the 4 - 6 pCi/L range a cover may get it down below 4pCi/L. But if there are french drains open along the walls a cover on the sump will not be enough.

There is a basement moisture company in the area that installs sump systems and then hands the owner a letter, that suggests that they do a radon test. They hold a license for radon mitigation, seems a little like a racket to me.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 AM

85 posts, read 305,422 times
You could investigate Structural Workshop LLC-Structural Engineering, Foundation Inspection, and Building Consulting - Structural Engineer - Foundation Repair. The owner is a structural engineer and is very highly accredited. Just have a conversation with him to determine if he is the caliber of assistance you need. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey