Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 PM

55 posts, read 161,980 times

Advertisements

My sister has gotten sucked into this Organo Gold coffee MLM and I’d like to share my experience.

She’s always getting sucked into MLM money making schemes such as Amway, ACN, etc. She calls me a month ago going on and on about this new company that sells coffee and she’s going to be rich working as a distributor. And it’s not just coffee, so she says, it’s a miracle coffee. It helps you lose weight, cures cancer, gives you energy, all because it’s purely organic and infused with some type of magical mushroom extract from the orient called “Ganoderma”.

It’s gotten so bad she has boxes of the stuff all over her house and garage, she drinks it 24/7 and gives it to her kids instead of meals. She claims it’s responsible for the kids getting better grades in school.

She invited me to a meeting last week. I figured what the heck let’s see what this is about. The meeting was in a small conference room of a local hotel. There were around 100 chairs but by the time the meeting started only 7 people had showed up. Upon entering I was forced to pay $10 to enter and the people running the meeting were drinking the miracle OG coffee by the gallon. I mingled a little bit and just listened to the attendees talk about how the coffee has cured their illnesses, got rid of aches and pains, and of course made them lose weight. The people running the meeting also assured them this was due to the Ganoderma in the coffee “oh for sure, you’ll lose weight” one said. The attendees were, let’s just say, not the most sophisticated people in the world. Mostly low income uneducated types that were financially destitute.
We got seated and were inundated with a TV screen showing expensive cars, huge houses, and lavish lifestyles. I also decided to try the coffee myself. Get this… it’s not even fresh ground coffee beans. It’s instant coffee! Powder in a bag that you add water to. For crying out loud! I drank one cup. Nothing special about it. And the price... $40 + $15 shipping – for 20 packs of instant coffee! Apparently no one has heard of Walmart or a grocery store where you can buy it for $5.

The meeting starts and the first speaker gets up. Total used car salesman attitude. Goes on about how everyone drinks coffee and OG is going to be bigger than Starbucks. Then it gets real good – we can all make $30,000/month if we just give it 18 months. The entire 1 hour meeting was showing us money and lavish lifestyle. Unfortunately, nothing about how to sell their coffee. Just telling everyone to buy it! Oh, and of course you have to buy starter kits from $500-$1300! And then you had to buy inspirational products to teach you how to be successful!
There was no instruction on how to sell the coffee, just how to be rich overnight by buying OG products for yourself. What really scared me was that the attendees in that room, including my sister, were totally brainwashed. If the speaker told them to jump off the Empire State Building they would all have done it. These people were completely oblivious to reality.

After the meeting I asked the speaker several questions about what is in the product, and specific financial data for the company. He couldn’t answer anything and then “I really have to go” and took off out the door.

The next day I awoke with a terrible stomach ache and horrendous diarrhea. From one cup of this garbage. My little nephew also told me his stomach is killing him from drinking the stuff his mom feeds him constantly.

I can see what they are doing. They don’t make money or even care to make money off selling their miracle OG coffee. They make money by charging entry fees to these events, forcing distributors to buy the coffee, and selling inspirational videos and books.
Magic mushrooms that cure cancer…really?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM

550 posts, read 965,367 times
Yes, I've heard of it.

For anyone interested: Pay the $500-$1,300 starter kit; force others to pay $10 entry fee to a meeting; then start selling 20-packs of the instant coffee in condom-wrapper looking bags for $40+$15 shipping.

When in doubt, just focus on the fancy cars and the mansions.

You'll do great.

Love,
MLM

Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Johntaylorny--Have you ever heard the expression, "A fool and his money are soon parted"?
Your sister is a fool, and--unfortunately--she will probably not be the only fool to lose money as a result of this scam.

Luckily, you have enough sense to avoid getting sucked into this vortex of pseudo-science hokum, but many naïve people will be fooled and will lose their money. You have performed a public service by posting this information, but the perpetrators of this scam will probably continue to make lot of money as a result of people who want to believe that this nonsense is true.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Here's an intersting expose done by KRGV in Texas. It's totally a scam & possibly dangerous ingredients.
CHANNEL 5 NEWS Investigation: Trouble Brewing | KRGV.com | CHANNEL 5 NEWS | Breaking News Breaking Stories

Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
If it only cured baldness, impotence & chronic halitosis I'm sure your sister would've been a thousandaire in just a few yrs.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 AM

248 posts, read 674,161 times
LMAO sounds very familiar to that AMWAY crap. I got sucked into attending one of their meetings once by a colleague. He said wear a 'business formal' attire so I thought hmmm this sounds important.

Show up at the place and it turned out to be an old run down church. They asked me to pay $20 to enter... I was like WTF I am not paying. I'll sit in if they'd like but definitely not paying. So they let me in for 'free' and got me seated in the "VIP section" (aka first row) and then for 2 hours the presenter basically told everyone of us how we were idiots for working for someone else when we can be our own bosses, own mansions and private jets.

Can't believe people fall for this ****.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Most of these schemes refer to their victims as "IBOs" - Independent Business Owners. Such a joke. The idea is to prey on the weak-minded with promises of great wealth without effort or talent. And like other snake oils, mysticism and irrationalism are the key.

When we stray from reality and logic and embrace the irrational and the mystical, the result is always what you would expect: failure, desperation, and pathos. And when such adventures are applied on a grander scale to societies at large, we get the Crusades and the Middle East.

There is no helping your sister. When this scheme is dead and buried, there will be others to replace it. It's an undiscovered illness.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i need this coffee!! send me 50 boxes and 20 starter kits!!!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 AM

132 posts, read 289,895 times
Direct her to Pink Truth
They are totally against Mary Kay Cosmetics. but they're forums are really good, they have facts about MLM's.
Anything you can think of.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 AM

132 posts, read 289,895 times
In just a period of less than 6 months I was introduced to 4 different MLM's
"Once-In-a-Lifetime-Opportunity" , schemes.
1. Synergy (Electric Bill scheme)- offers absolutely no service.
2. Mary Kay
3. Herbalife
4. Techonolgy schemes.

These things are just awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey