Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:29 PM

24 posts, read 25,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Few things to note.

If you live in NJ, you do not pay NYC income tax which is 2-4% depending how much you make. Check NYC finance site for 2012 or 2013 rates.

If you are new to the whole NJ/NYC area, rule of thumb is that public school is NYC are bad while many in NJ are good. There are exceptions but you can find out very easy for NJ. Not the case for NYC.

Parts of Queens has completely urban lifestyle, where as some parts are completely suburban. For example, if you live in Little Neck you pretty much have suburb life even though it is Queens. If you live in Jersey City, although it is NJ you live urban life.

Overall, if suburb life and 'sense of security' is important as well as good public school district. You will need to make the sacrifice of long commute and live in suburbs with good public schools and train or bus access to Manhattan. This could be NJ, Long Island, Westchester, etc. Basically...out of NYC.

Sense of security is important to note because as someone who grew up mostly in Queens. I don't find living in parts like Jackson heights or Union City insecure in safety level. My spouse who grew up in burbs in PA does.
Thank you for the post. Schools don't matter at all at this point as our son is only 8 months old. I definitely agree on the perception of safety, and for that reason, we have decided that it will be best for me to come down by myself and lease something for ~ 1-2 months, which will allow me to get a sense of the various parts of Queens, NJ and Brooklyn, perhaps, before signing a long term lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey